twitter google

Update on the Rampage accusations

On today’s edition of Fight Network Radio, Mauro Ranallo had Terry Trebilcock on to discuss recent acquisitions by Quinton “Rampage” Jackson that he had been offered a $2,000 bonus to lose to Kazushi Sakuraba during a 2001 bout in Pride.

Terry is the owner of the King of the Cage promotion here in the U.S. and was the one who brokered the deal between Rampage and Pride. Rampage was actually under contract to KOTC and the match in Pride was booked outside of his deal with Trebilcock.

Mauro was Pride’s play-by-play announcer for several years and has a strong knowledge of how the company did business. He said there was a six-month period in Pride where fighters were offered bonuses if they lost via ref stoppage from strikes or a submission. The idea behind the bonus wasn’t to get fighters to take dives, but to entice them not to quit in order to make the fights more dramatic. The clause never served its intended purpose and that was it.

Mauro asked Trebilcock if maybe Rampage misunderstood the situation. Trebilcock said no, and that Rampage and a representative he sent over with Rampage on his behalf both told him what had happened and that there was no miscommunication. Trebilcock said it was former Pride executives Hideki Yamamoto and Yukino Kanda who were behind the offer and that Sakikabara had no knowledge. Mauro was a little surprised because he said from his vantage point, all contractual details went through Sakikabara.

Mauro then asked Trebilcock about another fighter he represented that fought in Pride, Charles “Krazy Horse” Bennett. Trebilcock said he was in Japan several times with Bennett and that no offer like the one Jackson described was ever made.

So, basically there’s now a pretty credible source backing Jackson’s claim. Now that Pride as we used to all know it no longer exists, I wonder if we will hear more accusations like the one Rampage has made?

7 COMMENTS
  • says:

    I do hate agreeing with Mauro, but he may have a point regarding the cultural differences. But to me, an American, its still doesnt pass the sniff test of legitimacy. The whole contract at 205, then making the bout 190 is all I really need to hear about how Pride treated its Japanese stars.

    Agree or Disagree: Thumb up 0 Thumb down 0

  • says:

    […] King of the Cage boss Terry Trebilcock was on The Fight Network radio show on Tuesday to talk about the allegations that PRIDE’s office asked Quinton “Rampage” Jackson to work his debut fight against Kazushi Sakuraba. […]

    Agree or Disagree: Thumb up 0 Thumb down 0

  • says:

    of course sakakibara knew about it – when PRIDE paid its fighters, they were paid, in cash, in a hotel room after the event, by Sakakibara with Kanda and Yamamoto there as well

    so saying sakakibara didnt know about how much he was supposed to pay a fighter is a load of crap

    Agree or Disagree: Thumb up 0 Thumb down 0

  • says:

    […] The clause never served its intended purpose and that was it. To read Caplan’s full article: Update on the Rampage accusations ? Five Ounces of Pain! Kind of puts a different spin on what QJ said. My Source in case you’re wondering: MMANEWS.COM | […]

    Agree or Disagree: Thumb up 0 Thumb down 0

  • says:

    […] Update on the Rampage accusations On today’s edition of Fight Network Radio, Mauro Ranallo had Terry Trebilcock on to discuss recent acquisitions […] […]

    Agree or Disagree: Thumb up 0 Thumb down 0

  • says:

    […] Now there’s more interesting news coming out. First, here’s Mauro Renallo with his view on the situation: Mauro was Pride’s play-by-play announcer for several years and has a strong knowledge of how the […]

    Agree or Disagree: Thumb up 0 Thumb down 0

  • says:

    I always wondered how Prides fights were so exciting and so damm entertaining,and why I changed from a UFC lover to a Pride lover.From 2001-2006 I felt the Pride show was the most beautiful part of my life,I was hardly interested in the UFC after Zuffa took over.I remember when the headlining show in the UFC was Randlemen and Rizzo and the former slipped so there was no headlining show,whereas when Mark Hunt couldnt make the Shockwave card against Don Frye they brought in Jerome le Banner,and there were many examples of what a fantastic show they were putting out;Also in 2003 when Dana White brought C.Liddle to win the L/heavyweight grand prix and it ended with his man getting crushed and then Jackson getting crushed in a beautiful finish by Wanderlei Silva.I was so upset when Pride collapsed this year and if they did manage their affairs badly,I for one was captivated by their productions.The same with K1 grand prix,and K1 max grand prix-they were nearly all superfights,whereas UFC cards rarely have more than one headlining bout per show.PS I have every Pride and UFC except the ufc where Silva lost to Tito and Bustamante beat Yoji Anjou,and even the Bushidos became great,especially the tournament,welterweight and lightweight–beautiful!!!

    Agree or Disagree: Thumb up 0 Thumb down 0

LEAVE A COMMENT!

You must be logged in to post a comment.