twitter google

UFC continues its offensive on Wanderlei Silva

After the UFC spoke with Yahoo! Sports MMA/boxing writer Kevin Iole on Wednesday, the fight promotion has issued a story on its own web site in regard to the breakdown of a potential bout between Chuck Liddell and Wanderlei Silva.

UFC.com writer Thomas Gerbasi reiterates most of what had been previously reported by Iole but he was able to speak with Liddell:

“I really wasn’t holding my breath,” Liddell told UFC.com of the latest implosion of a match against Silva. “I was hoping it happened, but if the guy wanted to fight me, he’d fight me.”

The article also essentially confirms a UFCJunkie.com report that a deal was in place at one point while echoing the sentiment expressed in Iole’s article that the fight isn’t happening because of Silva’s doing:

There was a glimmer of hope in the last couple of weeks, when terms were reportedly reached for the two future Hall of Famers to meet at UFC 76 in Anaheim, California, but Wednesday afternoon, a Silva representative informed UFC President Dana White that ‘The Axe Murderer’ did not want the fight.

You can read Gerbasi’s article at UFC.com by clicking here.

All I can say is that the UFC is really going after Silva on this one and it would be sure nice if he issued some kind of response.

1 COMMENT
  • says:

    Im still saying its happening.
    If this isn’t a publicity stunt then I can’t see Silva ever being happy to work with the UFC again, but much like the monopoly the WWE holds, where would he go.

    Basically I think the fight may not happen in Sept but we could see it before the year out, cue the UFC portraying that Silva is running scared and then he tears into the Octagon come December to face him…

    ***hopes***

    Agree or Disagree: Thumb up 0 Thumb down 0

LEAVE A COMMENT!

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Follow 5OZ