Report: Shogun’s new opponent is Forrest

I did not hear the show first hand, however, it’s believed that Tagg Radio (Taggradio.com) is reporting that Mauricio “Shogun” Rua’s opponent at UFC 76 on Sept. 22 in Anaheim, Calif. has been changed from Lyoto Machida to Forrest Griffin.

The UFC has yet to confirm this match.

I think Machida would have been a tougher fight for Shogun but if the fight has indeed been changed to Forrest, then that’s a much better matchup stylistically.

• says:

Looks like after the Liddell/Jardine Main event got out (and Silva fell through)…Dana wanted another name to be featured in the semi Main event placing Forrest against Shogun, instead of Machida…either way… if Diego fights Fitch on this card, which is also rumored…its not to shabby for a UFC PPV w/o a title fight

• says:

Rudimar Fedrigo is saying the fight is a go.

• says:

Awesome, I just wonder where Machida goes from here. Thiago Silva, Stephan Bonnar and David Terell would be the top candidates that a free right now I imagine.

• says:

I like it. Hope Machida still fights on this card – maybe something really interesting like Lil Nog or Arona?

• says:

[...] post by Sam Caplan Share and Enjoy: These icons link to social bookmarking sites where readers can share and [...]

• says:

Nice way to introduce Shogun into the UFC IMO.

• says:

I’m a fan of both Griffin and Jardine and I’m not real sure why the UFC has decided to throw both of them into the deep end of the pool.

• says:

[...] but Shogun/Griffin co-main eventing makes for since, IMO. Guess we will have to wait and see. Report: Shogun’s new opponent is Forrest ? Five Ounces of Pain! __________________ Future Zuffa, Inc. [...]

• says:

[...] Shogun/Griffin co-main eventing makes for since, IMO. Guess we will have to wait and see. Link: Report: Shogun?s new opponent is Forrest ? Five Ounces of Pain! __________________ Future Zuffa, Inc. [...]

• says:

I really hope the UFC isn’t trying to bury Machida. Perhaps they feel threatened that he could take out anyone in the 205 division on any given day, albeit by slightly unspectacular decision. Personally, I’m a big fan of Machida and would really like to see him tested against the top competition. I’ll concede that Shogun was probably not the best opponent, at least for an intro match… but Jardine/Machida would work. I would LOVE to see Machida pick apart Liddell for 3 rounds :D

• says:

I was honestly REALLY surprised with the initial Shogun v. Machida fight, as that’s probably one of the worst match-ups (stylistically) for Shogun. Moreover, there is a much greater risk that Shogun either a) loses to Machida (the guy is a phenomenal counter-puncher), or b) simply doesn’t look that good against Lyoto. The later is the more likely of the two, and is more than forgivable to anyone who knows how tough Machida is, but makes billing Shogun as the world’s #1 205 lb. fighter a tough sell to the general populous.

And I think the UFC learned a little from their Cro-Cop and Herring experiments–sometimes the favorite on paper doesn’t win, so why not set yourself up to be able to market the winner regardless of the outcome. If Forrest beats Shogun then one of the most popular TUF alums (probably the most popular) just beat the toughest guy in the world in his weight class, the marketing writes itself. If Shogun wins (which he probably will, convincingly), then he is introduced to the US masses as the guy who dismantled a well-known “respected” fighter (I say respected in the eyes of the casual fan; Forrest is a tough kid and an entertaining fighter and I don’t want to disparage him, but he’s not top tier talent at this point in his career).

However the Jardine/Liddell fight is confusing (though a more intriguing match-up for Chuck than we’ve seen in a while, save the Rampage fight, as Keith is a striker rather than a wrestler). The same argument (for Forrest/Shogun) would have applied here, had Jardine not just been upset by a devastating knock-out to a UFC new-comer (and relative unknown, aside from his “200+ amateur” fights). Moreover if Chuck loses this fight, what becomes of the Silva/Liddell super-fight if Wanderlei wants to fight in November (though the UFC would probably hold off until their NYE show, at least that would be my guess)?

• says:

Much smarter fight for the UFC, but too bad for Machida. This would have been one the hardcore fans loved.

• says:

[...] to figure out what the hell is going on. Several Brazilians are saying one thing, and several bald dudes are saying another. All I’m going to say is I agree with Luke over at Bloody Elbow: [...]