White confirms Liddell vs. Jardine for UFC 76

A lot of the readers of this blog have been highly critical of a story first reported by UFCJunkie.com that Chuck Liddell will be fighting Keith Jardine in the main event of UFC 76 in Anaheim, Calif. on September 22.

Well, Kevin Iole has confirmed the fight during his latest MMA column on Yahoo! Sports.

I thought I’d post a quote from Dana White with the sole purpose in mind of provoking you guys:

White bristled at the notion Liddell-Jardine is not a headline-caliber match. “It is definitely a main event, in my opinion,” he said. “Jardine beat a lot of good guys, and he absolutely deserves to be fighting Chuck. He wouldn’t if Chuck still had the title, but I don’t think he needs to win a lot of fights just to get a fight with Chuck.”

Personally, I think it is a headline caliber match. Is it a “Super Bowl of MMA match?” No. Is it one of the UFC’s strongest main events? No. But I think Liddell vs. Jardine could offer some big-time fireworks.

Despite my maligned love for this bout, I will concede the point that Jardine is definitely Chuck’s lowest-profile opponent since Vernon White. Hopefully some of you will be willing to admit though that Jardine vs. Liddell is a match in which Chuck is not a lock to win.

Iole’s article also talks about UFC 75 being televised on Spike. However, despite getting quotes from White there’s no mention of Wanderlei Silva’s response to reports that he turned down a fight with Liddell.

• says:

Jardine is coming off a devastating loss to an unknown radio DJ and has beaten Forrest, Bonnar and Gouveia. None are top ten LHWs. This is a waste of a fight for Chuck – if he wins, it doesn’t follow that he should get an immediate shot at Rampage/Hendo winner. Jardine isn’t much of a notch, in my opnion. Hell, it doesn’t really mean anything. If Jardine wins…well, then all hell breaks loose. The top contender should be Shogun or maybe even Wandy, but if Jardine beats Chuck, one fight from being the LHW Champ, it seems like HE should get the shot, which is just absurd given the 205 talent out there. I would rather see Chuck fight Arona, Lil Nog, or even someone like Overeem again (I know he signed to K1).

That being said, as a filler fight setting up Silva/Liddell at New Year’s, I can live with it. But if it is announced he gets a shot at the title after beating Jardine…well, that just doesn’t work for me at all.

• says:

jardine lost to bonnar…
    this, to me, is the ultimate lose-lose situation for chuck. if he wins the fight, who cares? he’s going to have to post a highlight reel knockout, which he very well might given jardine’s suddenly exposed chin, for it to even be a blip on his record. but if he loses, as zack noted, he’s completely screwed, gets a huge scar on his legacy, and likely drops out of the title picture for a year or more.
    don’t get me wrong, i like jardine as a fighter. I just don’t think this is a good matchup, legacy-wise, for the iceman. and who wants to eat fifty leg kicks anyways?

• says:

So let me get this straight… Jardine’s chin gets tested and found to be pretty weak by some random radio DJ, so Dana thinks that pitting him against KO artist Chuck Liddell will make for a ‘good’ fight? Well, maybe ‘good’ if you just want to watch Chuck KO someone. I guess the UFC needs to protect the investment it made in all the marketing resources pumped into Chuck… the KO loss to Rampage did not help their cause, so the UFC needs to feed him someone ASAP. So much for pairity in the UFC.

• says:

I agree with Zach on his premise that this fight shouldn’t lead to Chuck getting a title shot, although I wouldn’t be surprised if the UFC gave him one if he beats Jardine. It’s a decent to good fight, but not one that should vault you to a title shot. And that it should lead to Chuck fighting Silva on the year ending card. How about a year ending card with the LHW title up for grabs between Jackson/Henderson vs. Shogun(granted if he beats Machida), Serra vs. Hughes and then Liddell vs. Silva. That would be what I would do.

• says:

Jeremy – that would be an insane card, and I bet (hope?) they are thinking along those lines.

• says:

I agree that Chuck is a headline fighter even without the belt, but not against a 2nd or 3rd tier fighter who is coming off of a loss. Bad rationalization Dana (and Sam). However, I would forgive the match-up if Jeremy’s dream card comes true on New Years… um, with the addition of Fedor vs. Randy/Gonzaga. How ’bout them apples?

• says:

jaydog, now you are just getting greedy. But I like it, haha. Sign me up.