Mike Swick has gotten on his blog and given his side of the story as to why a rematch against Chris Leben on September 19 at UFN 11 won’t be taking place. In the process, Swick also shifts his attention from Leben to Jonathan Goulet.
Here’s what Swick had to say:
Ok, so here is the deal…
Chris Leben said something about moving down to 170 and the UFC thought it would be a great time to have us fight. I was offered the fight and we accepted it immediately. We even told the UFC that we can do it at whatever weight class; I will give up weight if I have to get it done. So they were going to make our fight the Main Event of Ultimate Fight Night 11 on Spike TV on September 19th. Spike was excited about the fight, the UFC was excited about the fight, the fans were excited about the fight, and most of all, we were excited about the fight. Apparently Leben and his camp wasn’t. After almost a week of waiting for an answer he declined the fight at any weight class. This absolutely baffled me. We figured he was pondering what weight he wanted to fight me at and he was really pondering taking the fight at all. Is this the same guy who says he will fight anyone, anywhere, anytime? The same guy that promised me a rematch on the second episode of the first season of the Ultimate Fighter? Why would he pass up a main event fight considering he is coming off 2 losses? Who gets opportunities like that then passes them up?
I don’t mean to rant on but I am so upset at the situation. He has a win over me from a long time ago and holds it over my head any chance he gets. I think it’s absolutely cowardly to not give me a chance to avenge my loss. It’s not like I am asking for an instant rematch, it’s been over 3 years. If he’s better than me then why not take the fight and show the world in a main event on Spike TV?
Bottom line is, I am sorry to all the fans who wanted to see this fight. I was so excited over this last week and couldn’t wait to come to an agreement so I could post that after 3 years, you guys will finally see the rematch you msg me about every day in my inbox.
Ok, so even though the cat smashing crippler backed out, I am still staying on the Spike card on September 19th. This brings me to a whole new story for you guys….
Ok, so after hearing about the above mentioned backing out, Jonathan Goulet started trash talking me on the internet saying I chickened out of a fight with him as my next opponent. This caught me completely off guard since I never even knew he was in the equation. Or the UFC for that matter. Apparently he had been trying to get the fight from the UFC. I guess I can’t blame him, he is a very talented fighter who really wants to revamp his UFC career and a solid fight with me on Spike could do that, but what shocked me most was his blatant lie that I chickened out. Of course he followed that up with something along the lines about I don’t want what he’s got for me and that he is going to beat my ass, etc, etc, etc….
Since the other opponents we were trying to get an agreement with fell through, why not fight Goulet? I mean he is a good fighter and at least has some juevos. So Jonathan Goulet, let’s see if you can back up all that tough talk. Contract is in the mail, just sign the dotted line and let’s give these fans what they…well, get for free on Spike TV!
I wonder if the contract is really in the mail. Swick wants the fight and Goulet wants the fight. But why would the UFC want this fight?
I’d much rather see Terry Martin vs. Swick. The UFC needs to start grooming some contenders for the middleweight title — and fast!