Sherdog.com makes history!

Sherdog has released its first-ever official set of rankings in its history!

You can check them out by clicking here.

Obviously, it’s a long time coming. I’ve been wondering for years now why they didn’t publish rankings considering the amount of attention MMAWeekly.com gets for them. You would think every major site would do it? Heck, I’ve been thinking about publishing my own here for quite some time now (I already submit a list to FIGHT! and then a pound-for-pound top 10 to Yahoo!).

I like Sherdog’s rankings. The criteria is to create a system that ranks the fighters on a basis of accomplishment as opposed to skill. I guess you could say their number one fighters are so much the best pure fighters but more or less who would deserve to be the true champion of the world in their respective weight class based on record, quality of wins, titles held, in-fight performance, etc. They also have rankings for eight different weight classes (heavyweight to flyweight).

Still no women’s MMA rankings. I may have to do that myself when I start publishing my rankings here.

• says:

Who’s the #1 woman out there?

Gina?

I guess its official…

• says:

No Lyoto Machida? It’d kind of hard to do a rankings based on accomplishments when someone like Machida gets shut out from claiming them due to his skill…

• says:

Gonzaga at #3 above Barnett and Big Nog, give me a break, another skewed view from Sherdog. It’s forums are probably going crazy now. Sherdog really needs to hire more moderators if the site legitimately wants it conversation in the forums to be taken seriously, or quit advertising it. Breen is about the only person who knows what he’s talking about there, besides maybe Gross.

• says:

(let me clarify: because Machida demonstrates exception skill in his ability to methodically pick apart opponents, he is being shut out from the big name fights… thus barring him from claiming “accomplishments”).

• says:

hey sam, let us do the rankings with you. your loyal commentariat!

• says:

hey, the link above takes me to the last page of the rankings. here’s the first page.

• says:

Greg: I hope you’re joking.

Megumi, LaRosa, Shinashi, Tsuji, Watanabe….>>>>>>>>>> Gina.

Gomi at #1 LW is a joke.

As well as BJ at #10.

• says:

A good idea would be to model the rankings after the ATP (tennis) ones, which actually rewards performance and punishes extended layoffs. Naturally, MMA is different and the average fighter won’t have more than 3 bouts a year, but I think something along those lines would be a good idea. BTW, does anyone know how do the different boxing associations do it? I know the big ones look at the fighting records closely but do they all follow a similar criteria?

• says:

I think Greg was being sarcastic, Gina is far from being ranked top 10.

Regardless of weight, I think LaRosa might be number one right now…

[…] There are now Sherdog fighter rankings. […]

• says:

#7 Tim Sylvia?? Why because he had next to no competition while he was champ. He’s not well-rounded. If Frank Mir wouldn’t have been in that bike accident, I’m not sure Sylvia would have every been champ again. Anyways, he’ll never see the belt again with his recent stacked divsion.

• says:

“Matt Serra is the best 170 lb fighter in the world? I hope poor Matt Hughes knows what he’s getting into.”

Nope, he isn’t. He is, however, number one for this snapshot-in-time. Caplan’s got the proper mind about the rankings.

As for females, Sam, I’ll say on behalf of the site that it was discussed, but I opined that female weight classes aren’t carved out and defined enough yet, and I personally don’t think an openweight female ranking is a great idea. Too much of a slippery slope, because you’re essentially making a P4P list with chunks of divisions in each part. I don’t think it works that well. So hopefully female MMA keeps on rapidly chugging along so we can get to that point.

• says:

on consideration, GSP’s win over Matt Hughes, which is within the weighted 12 month window, was more impressive in a weird way than Serra’s win over GSP. does that make sense?
    I appreciate SC’s interpretation of GSP’s mental toughness, but on the flip side, he showed tremendous mental toughness at the highest level against Hughes. I mean, Matt Hughes, love him or hate him, is a legend. That was a Rocky moment, when GSP connected with that shin and knocked out the legend. losing to serra? a bad night. Sure, it’s Serra’s Everest, the unclimbable moutain defeated, and more power to the Terra, but still…for GSP it’s like a boxer beating Ali then going in against some schmo like Buster Douglas…who? Where’s the edge?

of course, every word i type is bitchslapped by what i hear the kids call “SCOREBOARD”. once a week i call my brother and say “Welterweight Champ Matt Serra! Suck it!”

• says:

every time i come up with a “but…” in regards to Serra as the #1 WW i keep seeing that belt about his waist. He had to beat the best. Could Serra beat BJ? Who the F knows? If BJ’d stop beating on cops for Hawaiian pride, or whatever the hell he’s doing, we’d find out. But does he have that god damned strap?

• says:

The rankings are better than Weekly’s, but still full of crap in almost every division. Penn at 10, Gonzaga at 3? No Machida, no Mach? But, I know how hard rankings are to do, I’ve tried for my blog. It aint easy.

• says:

I don’t want to toot my own horn, but if anyone wants to check out my rankings on the MMANews forums they can click here:

Last updated July 21st so there are some things I need to fix. Still, I’m pretty certain these are the only top 20 rankings on the web.

• says:

Honestly, Matt Serra has a pretty damn good chance against anybody he is up against. He’s tough to KO, and he has world class ju-jitsu. Granted, Hughes is a beast in the ring, it isn’t entirely out of the question that Serra could submit Hughes. A lot of people misplace the fact that Serra has went toe to toe with BJ, Din Thomas, and Parisyan, even though he lost all of those fights by decision, he was still able to stick around. Somebody with his kind of BJJ skills who can stick around as long as he normally does always has a better shot at an upset.

• says:

LR: don’t forget he’s got some damn heavy hands too. it’s hard to quantify will, but he’s got a lotta that…

• says:

gomi as #1 lw and no mention of nick diaz anywhere? is this because of the weed? since when is weed a fight enhancer :p bj as number 10 def a joke. matt serra #1? i can go on and on….this isnt history just another dudes opinion with an official stamp :/

• says:

To everyone who has asked: Tara LaRosa is the number one woman fighter out there, pound-for-pound. I’d probably have Carano around 4 or 5.

Screwface: I can’t speak for another site but my assumption is that since the fight result was overturned, it’s not being recognized. Take away the win vs. Gomi, and Diaz is still a 170 lbs. fighter. The theory by NSAC that marijuana was a performance enhancer for Diaz is the fact that when he tested positive, his THC level was 175. I believe the typical human level is 6. Athletes are giving leeway and can have a level of 50 or less (that’s a generous allowance). So Diaz’s result was reportedly more than three times the usual allowance. The belief was that he had so much THC in his system that he might have actually been numb to the pain.

I felt that overturning the fight over marijuana was ridiculous, initially. And then I found out about the THC levels and my opinion changed.

• says:

Yeah, I read a few articles on the effects of THC at a level over 150. I’m pretty positive you wouldn’t feel some of those straight shots to the face. I mean, why else would he be sitting around smoking weed before a matchup?

• says:

not to mention the fact that his face was almost literally caved in by gomi, and he seemed to have almost no ill effects. sure, some guys are just tough, but that seems like an awful big coincidence.

and as far as “weed as a performance enhancer”, i’ve actually known dudes in my life who were very active and athletic after smoking the stuff. so who can say.

• says:

I know we’re off topic here and i’m a little late to respond, but coming from a former weed smoker. Weed def slows your reflexes and coordination. Ive had my ass kicked a few times while high by dudes i knew i could turn into rag dolls when not high. Yes it def numbs your pain level, but imo if diaz wasnt high he wouldve made gomi look worse then. And since weed stays in your system for about a month whos to say maybe diaz wasnt high, couldve just smoked a fat blunt of some serious cali chronic a few days b4 hangin with friends. Yes bad decision, but im just sayin doesnt make him less of a fighter in my book because he was caught with it in his system. If it was steroids or cocaine he wouldve lost all my respect. Diaz is one tough mofo, and he always puts on a great show for the fans, might not win often but its always a spectacular show. I love Gomi as a fighter, but Diaz gave it to him and deserves respect for tapping out the untapable :)