It’s time for another edition of MMA Roundup!
* According to MMAOnTap.com, Drew McFedries will be sidelined the next 6-8 months as he recovers from complications due to staph infection. According to the Wrestling Observer, McFedries had to have a chunk of his lower leg removed as a result of the infection. Get well soon!
* FightHype.com is reporting that Brandon Vera has informed the site that he’s close to making his return to the UFC. He’s apparently asked the site to conduct a poll to see who fans would like to have him fight next. My vote would be the winner of Mirko Cro Cop vs. Cheick Kongo.
* UFCjunkie.com and Mickey’s conducted a chat with UFC middleweight fighter Kendall Grove last night. There were some interesting highlights, including Grove saying he’d like a chance to fight Jason MacDonald and that he believes he’s 4-5 matches from being ready for a title shot.
Here are some highlights:
10:05:29 PM: First question:
10:05:32 PM: Owen O – what fighter would you most like to fight?
10:06:08 PM: Kendall – Right now, Patrick Cote. I never looked past a fighter, but after him, probably Jason MacDonald. He says he’s the guy who should have won the TUF show, and I take that as disrespect. I wouldn’t mind fighting him.
10:06:28 PM: Patricia S – Kendall How close do you feel you are to competing for the Middleweight title?
10:06:35 PM: Kendall – About a year and a half. I just want to get more mature in the sport and climb that ladder.
10:06:55 PM: follow up:
10:06:57 PM: aaron w – how many more fights do you think u need before a title shot?
10:07:28 PM: Kendall – I’m guessing it’ll be about 4-5. I’m not in a rush. I’m still young in this sport. I don’t want to get in there too soona nd get knocked. I think I’ll be ready in about five fights.
* There are rumblings that Manny Tapia is off the card for the WEC’s next event on September 5 in Las Vegas. Tapia had been slated to fight Chase Beebe for the WEC bantamweight title. Rani Yahya could drop from 145 lbs. to 135 lbs. and replace Tapia.
* There have been some rumors that Roger Gracie will be fighting Allan Goes at the IFL finals on September 20 in Hollywood, Fla. FiveOuncesOfPain.com has learned that Gracie is not on the card.
* K-1 Hero’s has announced some matches for its Sept. 17 card in Tokyo, Japan. In the semifinals of its 154 lbs. tournament, Caol Uno will fight “Black Mamba” Kultar Gill and Vitor “Shaolin” Ribeiro will be taking on Gesias “JZ” Calvancanti (awesome matchup!). Ralek Gracie is also slated to fight Ikuhisa Minowa.
* Gina Carano finally has an opponent for EliteXC’s next card on Sept. 15 in Hawaii. According to The Fight Network, Carano will take on Tonya Evinger.