UFCmania.com: Josh Koscheck interview

UFCmania.com recently conducted an interview with a man who could be responsible for crashing my mail server due to a bunch of hate mail that I’ll receive if he loses. That man is Josh Koscheck.

It’s a very good interview but there’s something that struck me as kind of strange. During the UFC 74 media conference call last week, Koscheck was very complementary towards Georges St. Pierre. It was almost as if he went out of his way not to say anything that the former welterweight champ could use as a way to motivate himself.

When asked about Diego Sanchez having staph infection going into their last fight, Koscheck somehow found a way to throw GSP under the bus in his response.

UFCmania: It was later revealed that he had a serious staph infection going into the fight. Is that an excuse or do you feel you beat the “real” Diego at 100 percent that night?

Josh Koscheck: Well, everyone always has excuses when they lose fights. Just look at Georges St. Pierre – he made all those retarded excuses about not training right and all of the other stuff when he lost to Matt Serra. If you lose it’s time to man-up, admit it and take responsibility for your loss. You didn’t win that day – too bad. Don’t make excuses about it.

Koscheck also commented on GSP’s recent revelation that he’s been seeing a sports psychologist.

UFCmania: What was the thinking behind the “no heart/weak chin” comment? Is that just fight hype or do you really believe that?

Josh Koscheck: If you need a sports psychologist you definitely have some loose screws. And I think that Georges doesn’t have the heart that he thinks he does. He relies a lot on his athletic ability to get him out of trouble and make up for what he lacks in terms of heart. I’m definitely going to test his heart. Don’t get me wrong, Georges St. Pierre is a nice guy, but fuck, I’m a nice guy, too. I want to whoop his ass. It’s business — this is my career and my livelihood on the line. I’m trying to hurt that fool.

Someone needs to tell Kos that if he’s going to talk this kind of smack, he should bust it out on the media conference calls. I wonder what he’ll have to say on the pre-fight vignettes they show during the UFC telecast?

You can read the entire Koscheck interview by clicking here.

• “Josh Koscheck: If you need a sports psychologist you definitely have some loose screws.”

Dear oh dear. Not cool, Josh.

Sports Psychs are used by athletes in almost any sport, its nothing to do with therapy, its about learning how to apply psychology to become a better athlete through focussing and arousal awareness.

• Accomando says:

Thats how Koscheck see’s it. Sick of the P.C., “oh, its great that he’s going to a shrink.” line. This is the fight game. He’s not using a bat, or throwing a football into a small area, or putting on a green. MMA is as complex as it is simple. There are many ways to die, but in the sport of MMA it is kill or be killed! MMA isn’t like other sports.

It is mano y mano. You can’t ask your shrink what to do mid-way through the first round if the fight doesn’t go the way the doc said it would, expecially when you have knees and fists flying at you. In baseball you can step out the box, in football you can call a timeout, and in golf, you can take a puff of your cigar.

Honestly, in MMA-fighting, it’s either kill or be killed, you shouldn’t need a shrink for this sport. Some can cut it, some can’t.

GSP should have never brought this to light. I have no problem that he see’s a sports psychologists, yes, I view it as a weakness(this IS the fight game & it’s only my opinion) but I see no reason why he revieled it to the public, expecially BEFORE the fight.

Then again, maybe everything works out for GSP, and proves the doubters wrong, we’ll see. 4 days and counting.

• Accomando says:

I’m guessing part of Kos’s “super secret strategy” includes a barrage of head-kicks to open up the fight.

• bubbafat says:

Accomando is right that he should not have revealed the fact that he’s gone to therapy. But that is just to keep idiots from making stupid comparisons eg; kill or be killed. I’d imagine soldiers coming back from war where it is truly “kill or be killed” shouldn’t need therapy because it’s “as simple as it is complex “. If it’s so simple Accomando get in the ring yourself and tell us you don’t need a little head shrinkin’ after getting your ass kicked.

• Accomando says:

“…I’d imagine soldiers coming back from war where it is truly “kill or be killed” shouldn’t need therapy because it’s “as simple as it is complex “. If it’s so simple Accomando get in the ring yourself and tell us you don’t need a little head shrinkin’ after getting your ass kicked…”

Another GSP fan unable to take constructive criticism. Sorry I used to the term “kill or be kill”, how about “Beat or be Beaten”, that work for you? Sorry, I didn’t think people would actually take it word for word, you tool.

Why would you even bring up the troops, idiot.?

MMA fighting is not like war, and I never said it was!!!! Combat can’t be compared, again, why did you bring it up?????

You jumped to that conclusion you psycho!!!!!

This is a sport we are talking about that is very unique but nothing like combat! Sorry I used the term “kill or be killed” I didn’t realize some moron would take it word for word.

• Accomando says:

That is about as harsh as I get, but when you start to insinuate that I somehow think it is a weakness for SOLDIERS to talk to a psychiatrist about the true HORRORS they have witnessed, not like the ones GSP has made up in his head, well that pisses me off to no end!

When you suggest that I don’t see difference between getting an armbar put on you or seeing the effects of an IED explosion on your fellow troops, that angers me to no end!

Lets keep the troops out of this and I won’t ever use the term “kill or be killed” again when speaking about a fight because idiots start drawing psychotic conclusions from it.

If you were in front of me I would have dropped you!

• jaydog says:

Talking out your issues is good for you… for all people. If you’re an athletic beast who can tear fools apart, it’s a good idea to get a hold on your inner demons and focus your energy. That is best accomplished through mediated dialogue with yourself, aka counseling. Boosting your potential is not a sign of weakness, it’s a sign of strength (unless you think that Baroni’s bragging equals skill). I think GSP highlighted this aspect of his preparation to let folks know that he has found a new lease on the game that has motivated so many people to support him. When you cheer on GSP this weekend, you can be sure that you’re putting your support behind a guy who is fully committed to kicking ass. That’s all that’s going on with the sports psychologist BS.

Aside from all that, I pick GSP via GNP. Ironic, but very possible.

• You’ve all gotten it wrong though – he hasn’t BEEN to therapy.

Sports Psychology has nothing to do with therapy whatsoever.

People read psychology they instantly think he has been to see a shrink, or has some psychological issues.

Its all about making yourself a better fighter. Much like one would sharpen up striking, work cardio or increase flexibility, sports psych enables one to focus properly, remove distractions, and cope with release of adrenaline and stress hormones.

Research the role of sports psychology and then consider GSPs use of it.

• Accomando says:

“…Sports Psychology is about training your mind like you train your body. Athletes in EVERY major sport in the world, and even plenty of minor ones, use sports psychology every single day.

Research the role of sports psychology and then consider GSPs use of it….”

Great post.

I still would argue that since most fighters don’t use one (or come out and like GSP and say they are using one, it could be more widespread, however, no other fighter has come forward), than it will be percieved(rightly or wrongly) as a weakness by his peers.

With that said, if the sports psychology works for him, then everyone is in serious trouble. That is all I see lacking in GSP’s game, is the pychological aspect. Physical potential for GSP is off the chart.