Marvez plots Brock Lesnar’s UFC debut

Alex Marvez of FoxSports.com has written a good article about how he feels the UFC should handle the debut of Brock Lesnar if they are able to sign him.

Marvez belives that Lesnar would be an ideal coach for a seventh season of The Ultimate Fighter and that his adversary should be a veteran heavyweight on the downside of his career who has an eye on getting back to the top at Lesnar’s expense (he suggests Frank Mir and Heath Herring).

He then suggests that Lesnar should fight said veteran on the live finale of the show on Spike TV. The idea of having Lesnar make his UFC fighting debut on free TV (well, not completely free, but you get the idea) is genius because it would really go a long way towards building him up as a major draw.

If it were up to me, I’d love for the UFC to sign Kurt Angle and have him coach against Lesnar on TUF and then the two fight on PPV. That’s a dream scenario on my part and I realize there’s next to know shot of that happening. It never hurts to dream.

I really recommend you check out the column. Marvez also discussed the Sobral/Heath incident at UFC 74 and mentioned that a lot of fighters backstage were none too pleased with Babalu. I saw the show with a lot of fighters in the stands and I can tell you they were none too pleased either.

You can check out the article by clicking here.

• mike says:

Please tell me how it makes any sense to have a guy “coaching” TUF who is 1-0 in MMA?

• Sam Caplan says:

Mike:

When has coaching ability ever been a priority when naming “coaches” for TUF? The coaching positions are primarily promotional vehicles for fighters already on the UFC roster to get some exposure.

• garth says:

Jens Pulver/BJ Penn. They (well, jens mostly) seemed to be trying to improve their fighters.
    I don’t like the idea, personally. the guy has zero UFC experience. Maybe lots of big stage stuff, but it’s all fake-o “wrestling”. Maybe one fight in another org, but that was even in a ring wasn’t it? meh. I don’t care too much, i guess. I can see Matt Hughes not giving too much of a shite about his fighters in the upcoming season, whereas Serra will be a real live coach (for the second time…).
    I still don’t like it. Hmph. I’m sticking in curmudgeon mode on this.

• cyphron says:

I don’t know, Sam. Most coaches on TUF had a pedigree of winning MMA fights. Kurt Angle coaching is laughable because he doesn’t even know how to fight MMA. Any UFC heavies would turn him into pretzel.

• garth says:

ok, RTFA, garth. it’s actually a decent proposition the writer makes…give Lesnar a chance to train himself. it would be less that he’s coaching them and more that they’re all being coached by the assistants and guests. I can get behind that. now that i, you know, went and read what the guy said, that is. (shame)

he made an interesting point about BJ holding the choke on Jens too (and telling everyone to go to his site which crashed. that was funny as hell)

interesting wordo in re Brandon Vera: i believe Vera went on a hiatus, not an exodus.

• Jeremy says:

I am a fan of the idea of Lesnar debuting on a Spike Show not so much on TUF though.

• Accomando says:

Sure, its a good idea from a comercial stand-point, but its also a good way to ruin any credibility you had. This would be the equivalent of a Giant Silva/Zuluzinho fight, more of a freak show than anything else.

Yes, I would like to see Lesnar fight in MMA, no he shouldn’t be the coach of the UF reality show.

• garth says:

the writer did not do a lot to answer the question “why wasn’t BJ reprimanded?”
    No one really has, except to say he didn’t brag about it, or kind of trail off. i’ve done it too… i’d say it was because jens wasn’t bleeding everywhere, and BJ didn’t look directly in the ref’s face and hold the choke while the ref was hauling on his arms furiously.
    I still thing Babalu’s fight should be an NC and he should not be re-signed.

• Brad says:

If UFC ever had Lesnar as a coach on TUF it would lose any credibility that it has with hardcore MMA fans. It would be a good tool to get the casual fans that are also wrestling fans to watch the show but having somebody with less experience than most of the TUF contestants would be ridiculous.

The sad thing is, I wouldn’t be all too surprised to see Lesnar coaching TUF. TUF isn’t about fighters, it is about 16 drunk guys stuck in a nice house. The guys just happen to be fighters. As seen on the previews of the upcoming season of TUF, the main focus is becoming (or already is) said drunk guys getting pissed off and breaking doors and anything else they can get their hands on. Bringing Lesnar in as coach would further go to show that the UFC really doesn’t give a crap about making future champs, its all about the week to week ratings.

One thing that I would love to see and would also boost the ratings is Lesnar being a TUF contestant. They could have the rest of the contestants be so-so fighters that Lesnar would demolish. Having Lesnar as a contestant instead of a coach would 1. Build Lesnar up and make him look unstoppable and 2. Give the contestants the best chance at improving as they could have two good coaches.

• banditt2 says:

lesner and angle as coaches?come on are you for real?shouldn’t a coach be well versed on the game not just learning it?

• Zurich says:

I got into TUF because of the reality aspect to it, meaning REAL MMA coaches (with experience) and REAL athletes doing REAL exercises. If TUF 7 had two former pro-wrestlers barking orders at a bunch of confused MMA guys, I would most certainly tune OUT.

That said, TUF 7 should have Wandy and Rampage as coaches. That would be television gold!

• JP says:

Most coaches have other coaches that specialize in different areas of MMA. Maybe brock could be a wrestling specialist and conditioning coach second to a MMA veteran. Let’s see some heavyweight coaches. Most of the coaches have been in the middle weight classes. As far as drunk fighters and reality, these guys are bored to tears in a house with no media of any kind and fall back onto the behaviors they have shown in their life, many of which they normally would not do again except for the boredom. Most MMA fighters don’t drink on a nightly basis. Most real MMA fighters are concerned enough about their weight and how they feel that they wouldnt do that. If you really watch the show, most of the drinking occurs with the fighters that have been eliminated

• me says:

In real life, Angle and Lesnar are very good friends so they will not be fighting. Angle is physically broken down and would never compete. He likes to talk to get free pub.

• bubbafat says:

He’s no coach. Maybe a contestant. But definitely no coach.
    Besides his assistants would probably be Gracies and Zuffa would nix that instantly.

• pr0cs says:

I just don’t understand all this love for Angle or Lesnar. Putting pro wrestlers front and center with little MMA experience sounds like an absolute disaster to me. Talk about putting any “real sport” credibility down the toilet.

• Gygax says:

With Lesnar yapping so much about how great he is and Josh Barnett talking all this smack about how he’s still the champ, let’s match them up. They keep using their pro wrestling personas to promote themselves as being title contenders in the UFC, sign both and match them up. Put up or shut up.

• nicklovesmma says:

I don’t think pro wrestlers get the credit they deserve. Just because the matches are a work does not mean wrestling is fake. These guys are tough and possess tremendous athleticism. I think Brock has the physical tools, mental toughness, and a will to win that will give him a better chance to excel than most others with his level of experience.

• nicklovesmma says:

Just to clarify: I’m not a pro wrestling mark; I realize that wrestling is “fake” in the respect that the outcome is predetermined and moves are sold to convey true damage. Still, I would consider pro wrestlers professional athletes and rank them as some of the toughest around

• cyphron says:

Nick,

While no one is arguing that professional wrestlers aren’t athletes, I think it’s a stretch to say that being “tough” means that one can make it in MMA. Professional football players are some of the toughest athletes around as well, and we already know that it doesn’t translate into a career as an MMA fighter… Johnny Morton anyone?

Having said that, I still believe that Lesnar can be a good if not great MMA fighter. However, don’t mention Angle as he’s more of a punchline than anything resembling a fighter nowadays.