5 Oz. of Pain’s top 10 pound-for-pound fighters

Yes, I am ripping this idea off from Steve Sievert’s blog on the Houston Chronicle’s web site. Since I’m also a pollster on Yahoo! Sports’ pound-for-pound top ten it doesn’t make sense for me not to post my votes.

Here’s the official 5 Oz. of Pain top 10 pound-for-pound fighters in the world (with comments):

1) Fedor Emelianenko - Inactivity is a concern a this point but his last win against Matt Lindland on a BodogFIGHT card in April is strong enough to last another month or so.

2) Dan Henderson - Henderson’s reputation before his win over Wanderlei was nowhere near what it is now but how can you not be high on a guy who holds world titles in two different weight classes?

3) Randy Couture – His last two wins have been against top contenders and both have been dominant performances.

4) Georges St. Pierre - Being in this poll isn’t just about stature, it’s also about pure fighting skill, which GSP has on loan from God. Yes, I’m officially back on the bandwagon.

5) Mauricio Rua - Doesn’t hold a title yet but put him in there with Chuck Liddell, Quinton “Rampage” Jackson, or Dan Henderson and I’d install him as the favorite.

6) Anderson Silva - His pure Jiu-Jitsu is strong but his MMA Jit-Jitsu is suspect. However, a fighter hasn’t exposed his lack of wrestling in quite some time. His recent wins have all been impressive with the exception of his performance against Travis Lutter in February.

7) B.J. Penn - His recent win list doesn’t measure up in comparison to other fighters on this list but I think pure ability should account for something.

8 ) Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira – Is lacking a big recent win against an impressive opponent but few heavyweights are a total package like he is.

9) Matt Hughes - The win over Lytle was not overly impressive and there’s the loss against GSP but I can’t ignore his entire body of work over the course of the past several years.

10. Quinton Jackson - I’m not sure what Rampage we’ll see at UFC 75 but a win over Chuck Liddell and the UFC light heavyweight title around his waist speak volumes.

The two names omitted from my ballot that I’m sure will cause the biggest complaints are Chuck Liddell and Takanori Gomi.

In regard to Gomi, I can’t put him in my top ten due to inactivity. In the eyes of NSAC his match against Nick Daiz might be a win. But my eyes saw what they saw. Gomi lost. At the very least, he shouldn’t be credited with a win.

Liddell was a tough call and some will ask why I have Hughes ranked on his overall body of work and not Liddell. When it came down to it, I don’t think the competition Liddell fought during his reign was top-notch. It was due to no fault of his own but I’m not overly impressed with wins over Tito Ortiz and Jeremy Horn. Losing to Rampage in under two minutes was a big negative.

• Jeff says:

I agree almost to a T. I don’t always agree w/you Stan but that top 10 list was nails. A few minor adjustments as far as placement on the list and I wouldn’t have Hughes, but that’s about as true a p4p list as I’ve seen.

BTW I’d replace Hughes w/Paulo Filho, but you’re assessment was fair.

• garth says:

The Diaz fight was an NC for Gomi, correct? While I can’t very well disagree with your picks I do think that activity should count for something. As a best pound-for-ound list is it now or all-time? I’m sure different people would have different lists based on criteria. For one, if its all-time, Wanderlei Silva has to be somewhere in the top five. Few fighters have had a run of dominance like he did.
    I guess I’m just a stickler for a premise…sigh

• steve says:

Fedor: OK, I’ll give him 1 month to sign with the UFC. Otherwise, take him off the list. You can’t be top dogg if your not fighting with the best.

• Zurich says:

The criteria for most P4P lists is a bit murky, but as far as skill is concerned I’d include Machida and Barnett in there somewhere.

• MoreThanUFC says:

I stopped reading at 2) Dan 3) Randy.

• Screwface says:

i agree with all except nog and rua

both are past thier primes and shadows of thier former selves.

in thier place id put lidell, he didnt dominate for so long for nothing
    and maybe crocop or sokoudjou, crocop made cpl mistakes but hes still a force to be reckoned with, and sok? mark my words hes def legend material.

• batrix420 says:

BJ???? Do you even watch MMA? Not only does his recent win list not qualify him, but his cardio (or lack there of) was evident and in no small part the reason that he doesnt have the strap. He is [right now] the 1 round wonder…. Take him in to the 2nd round and your chances for winning are doubled. In the Hughs and GSP fights he was gassed and that is the only reason why he lost… Hughs pummeled him after losing the first 2 rounds decisivly. Dont get me wrong as far as BJ bieng a good fighter, but, he does not belong on this list…

• Thorazine says:

Reasonable list… BJ definitely should be on there, he’s even kind of a small 155lb and if you look at his loss against Matt Hughes or GSP at 170lbs and analyzed why or how he lost… u’d wake up and realize he’s pure talent … with his new training regiment… time will prove just how good he is.

On the other hand most pound for pound rankings, overlook 145lb Urijah Faber from the WEC, this guy is pure dynamite.