WEC News: Faber vs. Curran announced; new deal with Versus signed

The WEC has made two very important announcements today.

First, they’ve extended their deal with Versus. Under the agreement, WEC will deliver 20 additional WrekCage shows and 15 more live WEC fight cards.

And the other big announcement is that the WEC’s next live show after tonight’s card is slated for Dec. 12. Urijah Faber (19-1) is scheduled to defend his WEC featherweight title against Jeff Curran (16-6-1).

The news that they’ve re-upped with Versus is certainly good news. However, I would have loved to have seen the WEC sign on with a partner that has greater distribution. They’ve got so many good fighters on their roster right now that more people need to know about. The WEC belongs on a more prestigious network.

Faber will be favored going into the fight with Curran but he will definitely be tested. It has a chance to be one of the best matches of the year in any promotion.

Also, remember to check out the WEC tonight at 9 p.m. ET on Versus. “Razor” Rob McCullough defends the lightweight title against Rich Crunkilton while Chase Beebe defends his bantamweight title against Rani Yahya.

I’m picking McCullough and Yahya. Also be sure to watch Brian Stann (4-0), who will be taking on Jeremiah Billington. I’m going with Stann all the way in that one.

• pr0cs says:

What a shame, there is no way for me to watch the WEC other than downloading the shows via the internet.
    Why did they renew with such an obscure partner?

• garth says:

I picked…McCullough and Yayha. hmph. I wouldn’t be blown away if Crunkilton pulls off an upset though.
    I’m not sure, but I believe Brian Stann might have been in the Air Force or Coast Guard or something. It’s hard to hear anything about it.

Jeff Curran-Urijah Faber would be an interesting matchup. Any chance of ever seeing a Tyson Griffin-Faber rematch?

• garth says:

I’m betting using someone as far up the dial as Versus is to “populate” it…in time slots, channel surfers, etc, not currently having any contact with Zuffa owned products. So people who’d be watching hunting/fishing/extreme sports/cartoons/blah blah blah get touched.
    I’ve been working in marketing too long, I need a new fuckin job.

• Billy Gamble says:

Curran seemed a little flat on his last fight. He better bring it against Faber.

• Accomando says:

Curran has been training for this fight with Faber for some time now. He has the tools to push Faber and I think he will be the new champ.

• Jeremy says:

Definitely good news for the WEC. I understand the concerns about them being on Versus, but they do a real good job promoting it on the station and a good job with the live shows. So I am happy it’s still there. The distrubution is weird, because I don’t know anyone here in NY that doesn’t get vs. I am actually surprised people still don’t get that channel, it comes with the basic cabel pkg here.

I’ll take Razor Rob and Beebe. Miguel Torres debut as well in a good fight.

• Zack says:

Someone please fire Herb Dean. He let the Razor fight go on way way too long. How many more fights does Herb Dean have to screw up?

• Tanner says:

I’m still wondering what Razor Rob meant by his next fight being Nov 9th. WEC is promoting their next fight to be 12.12.07. Which seems like a hell of a long time away when they’re just coming off of Two cards exactly a month a part. I guess we’ll get more info in the up coming month or so. I would have also liked to seen Cowboy Cerrone. I was impressed with him in the Tapout episode. Plus the triangle he threw was from side control or something obsurd like that.

• steve says:

Once again we confirm that there are a couple events before the next scheduled live event in December according to WEC’s article.

• Tanner says:

Thanks for pointing that out steve. I never checked out that site before.

• Accomando says:

“…I understand the concerns about them being on Versus, but they do a real good job promoting it on the station and a good job with the live shows. So I am happy it’s still there. The distrubution is weird, because I don’t know anyone here in NY that doesn’t get vs. I am actually surprised people still don’t get that channel…”

I agree. What is also funny, is that a lot of people keep complaining..”..oh, the Versus channel is buried in the 600’s…” Not sure what package that is?

But, Versus on dish network is located right in between ESPNU & the NFL Network, and is in the same area as all the other ESPN sports channels, makes sense that way.

I have no complaints about Versus.

• Jason Stevens says:

I am excited about the December 12 fight Faber vs. Curran. Maybe to a promoter Curran is the underdog but I don’t see it this way. Curran (who I ve seen fight live a few times) has a plethroa of experience and an aresenal the US Government would be jealous of. Also, Curran I can gurantee you this is training harder, faster, stronger than Faber who seems to me that he has/will get caught up in the lime-light. I too agree with the forementioned about the Versus network, although we do get it here in the Chicagoland a lot of people do not but as stated above Zuffa is most likely trying to attract a different demographic.

PS: I would be going to the fight on the 12th, however my wife is due with my son on Nov. 25.