MMA News & Notes: Guy Mezger talks Cuban; Emelianenko could fight in Canada; and talk to Jon Fitch

I’ve got some MMA News & Notes for you on a Thursday afternoon. I was on the EliteXC conference call today and I hope to have some highlights for you a bit later.

On to the news…

- I was able to touch base with Guy Mezger today and ask him for some more detail behind Mark Cuban’s new MMA project. You can read the highlights of my conversation in an article I that I wrote for CBSSports.com by clicking here.

- There’s a new promotion in Canada called Hardcore Championship Fighting that’s planning a big show on Oct. 19 in Calgary. The main event that’s being floated around right now is Wesley “Cabbage” Correia vs. Aleksander Emelianenko. HCF apparently has big money behind it and I’m hearing they are talking to some very big names.

- Do you want to speak with the most underrated fighter in MMA? Luke Thomas’ Any Given Saturday will be on a special night tonight at 10 p.m. ET and the guest will be UFC welterweight Jon Fitch. You can access the show at BloodyElbow.com and call-in as well (646-478-5091).

-  There’s a new Rampage interview available at Complex.com. You can check it out by clicking here.

• steve24 says:

Cabbage vs. Emelianenko? LOL, thats a good one. #1 HW vs #500 HW. I wonder who’s going to take that one. I wouldn’t plan on seeing Fedor anytime soon in the UFC. Obviously since the UFC gave him the highest offer, money is not an issue either is fighting the best in the world.

• garth says:

Wow…I didn’t think Cabbage would ever want to get pounded by a younger, faster, stronger fighter again after Timmeh pounded him down.

• steve24 says:

Thank god. I saw Emelianenko and immediately thought of Fedor. It’s his brother. There is still some hope for Fedor in the UFC. I still think Aleksander will destroy Cabbage. Should be a good fight.

• [...] to jest HCF? Pisa?em ju? o tym. Sam Caplan donosi, ?e plotka mówi o wielkich pieni?dzach zaanga?owanych w t? organizacj? i mozliwym [...]

• Billy Gamble says:

Cabbage? Jeez. I wonder what Mezger thinks about that one.

• Jersey Tomato says:

Cabbage vs. Fedor’s brother is a joke. Emelianenko is a top notch striker and he will tee on Wesley’s face like nobody’s business. I prefer to watch competitive fights and not one-sided beatdowns. Match-making like this is bad for the sport.

• Mobb Deep says:

I seen the first HCF event yesterday on sports net, pretty good show, WAR Canadian MMA scene.