twitter google

EliteXC conference call notes

EliteXC held a conference call on Sept. 6 to promote their next card on Sept. 15 in Hawaii that will be airing on Showtime at 10 p.m. ET.

There were a lot of people on the call at different times so I might be leaving someone out but EliteXC live events president Gary Shaw, Gina Carano, Robbie Lawler, and Jake Shields were all on the call. Nick Diaz apparently was supposed to be on but never called in. I was kind of bummed because I’m real interested in what he has to say at this point.

Here are the highlights:

– Gary Shaw kicked it off but couldn’t talk long because he’s in the UK so that he can help complete the Cage Rage deal that was announced today. Gary indicated that they also have an agreement with Spirit MC in South Korera (Denis Kang has fought for this promotion) as well as letters of intent with Icon Sport and King of the Cage. Rumble on the Rock wasn’t mentioned but I believe that deal is done.

– I asked Shaw about Krazy Horse’s performance on the 8/25 ShoXC. I thought he might duck the question, but he didn’t. Shaw said he was disappointed with The Horse’s performance and that he felt he could have trained harder. But he still supported Bennett and also indicated that he sustained an injury to his hand in the first round. It doesn’t sound like The Horse is going anywhere.

– I asked about if we might ever see Nick Diaz vs. Takanori Gomi II inside of an EliteXC cage. It doesn’t sound like something they are working on but Shaw didn’t rule it out. If Gomi isn’t signed to the UFC then there’s no reason why we shouldn’t see a rematch.

– Diaz vs. Mike Aina will be at 160 lbs. I asked if they plan to go with both a 155 lbs. and 160 lbs. division. Shaw said they are discussing the two weight classes and that 155 lbs. could be merged into 160 lbs.

– Ninja came on the call and via a translator he said that rumors about him leaving Chute Boxe are not true.

– Shaw was asked about expansion plans for the women’s division. He said he has identified three new female fighters he’d like to sign and hopes to have announcements ready by 9/15.

– The next ShoXC will be on Oct. 26 with another one scheduled for Dec. 7.

– Jake Shields indicated that he’s looking forward to fighting Renato “Charuto” Verissimo and that the match had been scheduled two other times prior but that the fights fell through.

– I asked Shields if EliteXC has talked to him about instituting a welterweight title and he said they have. He said he hopes to fight for it in his next bout.

– I asked Shields about his feud with Frank Trigg. He said that the match had been set for October in San Francisco and that both verbally agreed. When it came time to return contracts, Trigg never signed his and then wouldn’t answer his phone. Shields said he’s still open to the match but isn’t sure it’s worth pursuing right now.

– Someone asked a followup about the difference in weight class between Shields and Trigg. Shields said he’d be willing to fight at 185 if the offer is right. I am pretty sure he said the offer he had this time around wasn’t enough for him to fight Trigg at middleweight.

– Shields has one more fight on his EliteXC contract after the Charuto fight. He said he likes EliteXC and hopes to stay.

– Someone asked about the WEC but Shields said he hasn’t given serious consideration to fighting for them (maybe I missed something, does anyone know if the WEC tried to sign him?). I think the question was brought up because he holds a win over Carlos Condit, the current WEC welterweight champ. I think Shields sounded like he was open to fighting Condit again.