There’s a bunch of MMA-related news stories making the rounds right now. How about a quick review?
- MMAWeekly.com is reporting that IFL commissioner Kurt Otto has informed the site that Shawn Tompkins has been released from his duties as head coach of the LA Anacondas.
- The IFL will be releasing its first DVD next Tuesday. “IFL: Greatest Knockouts and Extreme Action” will be available through Warner Home Video at Best Buy, Netflix.com, Amazon.com, Borders, Wal-Mart and other fine retail outlets.
- The Fight Network is reporting that BodogFIGHT will have a hand in Strikeforce’s card on Sept. 29 at the Playboy Mansion. Bodog has sponsored Strikeforce events before and it looks like they will be lending some fighters to the event. According to the report, Matt Lee will fight Jorge Masvidal. Already scheduled for the show is Gilbert Melendez vs. Tesuji Kato, Joe Riggs vs. Eugene Jackson, and Josh Thomson vs. Adam Lynn. Daniel Puder and Bobby Southworth are scheduled for separate bouts.
- UFCMania.com is reporting that Nathan Marquardt is looking to return to the UFC in January.
- Sean Salmon has a new column available on MMAjunkie.com talking about his recent loss to Travis Wiuff on an IFO show in Vegas and an even more recent win on a smaller show in Ohio. He also talks about his involvement with Mark Cuban’s HD Fights but makes no mention of his current UFC status. Bummer.
- Pro wrestling web site PWInsider.com recently posted a one sentence blurb claiming that Brock Lesnar is “finalizing” his UFC contract.
- According to the Honolulu Star-Bulletin, Scott Junk will replace Justin McCully against Christian Wellisch on the UFC 76 undercard next Saturday.