EliteXC: Evinger wants to make out with Carano

Normally I try to take a mature approach when it comes to female fighting. My wife is a semi-pro Muay Thai fighter and I’ve trained with females before. I know how hard it can be at times for them to be taken seriously and treated lake legitimate athletes.

But hey, I’m going to break from tradition here, thanks in large part to a comment made by Tonya Evinger during yesterday’s local press conference in Hawaii to hype EliteXC’s Uprising card this Saturday at the Blaisdell Center.

I just couldn’t resist when during the press conference Evinger dropped this precious gem:

“I’d like to make out with Gina, but I am here to knock her out. Either way she wants it, though, is fine. with me.”

Well, that’s not something you’d normally hear during a fight presser and I’ve got to admit, it’s a little steamy (I hope my wife doesn’t read this). She had additional quotes, but they were a little more on the serious side.

“Fighting Gina on SHOWTIME is an awesome opportunity,” continued Evinger. “Of course, I want to kick her butt. I want to kick everybody’s butt. Style-wise, it never matters who I fight.

“But I can’t say anything bad about her. Gina is a good girl. I just want this to be a great fight and I will win. I have worked really hard and am going to try my best. I know putting forth a great performance will help me get fights later than I may not have been able to get.

“I am confident but I am always worried before a fight that I will not execute my game plan. That’s what happened to me last time and I lost. Seems the bell sounds, and I tend to forget everything and I just want fight.’’

Carano, for her part, took the whole thing in stride.

“I can’t believe Tonya says what she says sometimes, but she speaks her mind and that is good,” Carano began.

“I am really looking forward to returning to the cage, but I expect this to be a tough fight. It is going to be a tough fight. I seem a little more anxious before a fight than I have in the past. We’ll see after Saturday’s fight if that was good or bad.

“I thank God and my family and EliteXC for putting me on this great show. We’ve got the ball rolling. I don’t want it to stop here.’’

Oh yeah, the two are going to fight on Saturday. That should be an interesting pre-fight staredown. Could we see another Heath Herring vs. Yoshihiro Nakao situation?

• Brent says:

Did she say “kick her butt” or “lick her butt”?

• Screwface says:

Gina is a hottie tho, i enjoyed seeing her in fight girls last season. I had no idea female
    fighters could like them, i was expecting some short haired post op men lookin women .

point is i want to make out with gina too .

• jaydog says:

I’d been hearing that there was a really hot female fighter who was distracting from the focus on skill in women’s MMA. Finally, I’ve realized who theyr’e talking about. Gina Carano must have the sponsors lining up. However, I did a youtube search and Gina has got some heat seeking missles for hands. She’s a really talented striker. Nonetheless, we don’t talk about male fighters’ looks too often, whether it’s Shogun or Lindland. The same pattern exists in tennis. Anyhow, bravo to Tonya for the provocative PPV selling comments. That’s good media work.

• Andrej says:

It bought the ppv for me. Damn good marketing aswell as seeing Rua/Lawler and Fukuda/Villasenor this might be a decent PPV. Excluding Sheilds/Verissmo (Shitty match).

• Sam Caplan says:

Guys, it’s not a PPV. It’s on Showtime. All you have to do is pay the $10 to sign up for Showtime.

Shields vs. Verissimo shitty? No way. Those two guys are sick on the ground. But I think it’s going to be a standup affair and I’m really looking forward to it.

• Greg says:

Can’t wait to see Gina in action again…She looked great against Kedzie(way overmatched). Carano is a class act. I heard she has been training at EXtreme Couture and that Randy has been a big influence on her for a while..

Sam – You should see if you can get a 1 on 1 interview with her soon…

They have a damn good card going here, the best part it’s free-

• Adam says:

Gina is fuckin’ bangin’. Damn, girl.