New Nick Diaz interview now available at CBSSports.com

I conducted an interview with EliteXC fighter Nick Diaz several days ago. I think it’s one of the best interviews I’ve ever done and it’s now available by clicking here.

Nick Diaz

I know Nick recently did a radio interview with the Beatdown crew at Sherdog.com and a lot of people who have heard said he rambled on a lot. I haven’t heard it so I can’t make any sort of judgment. All I can say is that Nick was pretty concise in the interview that I conducted with him. He held nothing back and addressed everything I threw at him in a no holds barred fashion.

Nick gave a lot of answers that I know will be considered controversial and I plan on writing an article on the back story behind the interview and my thoughts on some of the things he said.

In the meantime, here are some of the more notable exchanges from the Q&A. In this one question I asked Nick to comment on some accusations that had been floated out there that he got high right before his fight:

Q: The assertion by the Nevada State Athletic Commission was that your THC levels were so high that you were numb to the pain you experienced during your fight against Gomi. And while NSAC didn’t make accusations publicly, there were some rumblings that people felt you had actually gotten high right before the fight. Was there any truth to that?

ND: How would I have done that!? I’m sure they want to push that as much as they can and they wanted to that at my hearing, too. My hearing was pretty ridiculous. I didn’t know whether they were going to go easy on me or what? I just knew that they had all the control so I didn’t go in there trying to argue anything. I just went in there to say “Hey, sorry and please give me a lighter sentence because I’ve got bills to pay and a family to take care of and support. This isn’t easy out here. I train harder than everybody else and I’m not out drinking like everybody else. It’s obvious to you guys sitting at this table that you can see the rest of these fighters out there and what they’re doing. You’ve got some of them testing positive for steroids and a lot of them go out and get drunk and hammered and doing a bunch of coke and then popping Vicodins.”

Diaz also believes he’s tested positive for marijuana before:

ND: …But I wasn’t really worried about it, because I give them dirty piss tests all the time in the UFC and every show I’ve ever fought in. So I don’t see what the problem is. They weren’t testing for it before. All of a sudden when they wanted to suspend me, they suspended me.

Q: So you’re saying you’ve tested positive for marijuana before?

ND: That’s the thing, nobody tested for it. There was no testing for it (marijuana). Nobody gave a s— if there was. So I’ve given about nine tests in my life and only one of them came up positive but for every one (of the tests) I had been smoking weed. And at least in the same month, so they had to have come up (positive).

I really think this is an intriguing interview that you’ll all enjoy and I recommend you check it out by clicking here.

I also encourage everyone to leave their feedback here and let me know what they think about how the interview went and your thoughts on Diaz’s comments.

• jaydog says:

I listened to that Beatdown interview via podcast and it was the most unbelievable thing I’ve ever witnessed. Nick came across as an incredibly nihilistic and self-destructive, angst filled burn-out. Add to his THC habit environmental and human rights agendas, and an anti-corporate globalization critique and you’ve got loads of contradictions; a real head-case. Sort of the best and worst that America has to offer all rolled into one. I was wishing he would go see a counselor about the demons that seem to be haunting him. Not to mention the fact that he couldn’t complete a sentence without 3-4 expletives. Sam, your piece was mild and focused by comparison. Surely you left out a few of his four-letter words in typing up the transcripts. Despite my reaction to him, I think he’s a fascinating fighter. But then again, so was Andy Kauffman.

• Sam Caplan says:

Jay:

We didn’t leave any expletives out. We censored them, but we didn’t take them out.

I have a lot of thoughts and observations about Nick that I’ll probably talk about tomorrow after everyone has had time to digest the interview.

• Re Beatdown, its Sherdog, not MMAWeekly… You might want to amend that

• Zack says:

I’m a huge fan of Nick’s. I don’t agree with all the marijuana stuff, but I’m not on this world to agree with people. He’s very interesting and entertaining and a great fighter. I, for one, am glad the fight game isn’t filled only with self-righteous white boys from the midwest.

• garth says:

link didn’t work for me…

• garth says:

correction: FIRST link, at the top of the story, sent me to an error page, second link, at the end, worked. I’ll read and come back…I usually like your interviews, so i’m goin’ in biased.

• Fujin says:

Nick’s a weird dude.

But you have to get behind someone who gogoplataed the “#1″ LW fighter in the world.

I don’t smoke pot and don’t really agree with him that it’s healthy for you, but in the Beatdown interview, he said a lot of interesting things about organic food that I totally agree with. I wish I wasn’t a poor grad student and could buy organic food all the time.

• el boxeo says:

great interview….

lol at the floyd mayweather part.. im sure most people would be able to whoop on a guy that walks around at 145lbs..lol

on to his point about weed… imo i think its a pretty bs explanation about it being a pain reliver… im sure that in other sports weed is not grounds for a suspension because of its “pain relief” abilities but cause its illegal to use or posses it in this country….

and if you only knew why weed is illegal in the first place it pretty much bs.( i think it was outlawed cause the material hemp was a threat to dupont textiles industry and at that time they decieded to outlaw it by associating it with mexicans during the 1940’s)

i think that argument might make sense if diaz was on the sherm stick then that i could see as a pain nullifier .. but weed.. please…

i wonder if the ufc had any pull on that decision… nevada makes money with them and it seems to be that diaz wasnt getting tagged when he worked for ufc…wonder why he would get tagged for winnng in pride… ALSO IF THE UFC KNOWS HE ALWAYS TESTS POSITIVE, MAKES YOU WONDER IF THE UFC DIDNT TIP OFF THE COMMISION OR WHY OTHER times he was allowed to skate…

diaz shouldnt be mad at mayweathers ability to make money and he is right to be mad at those paying him…

• Tanner says:

Just read the article. I’ve always liked Nick. His upside down guard game is crazy, just watch the diego fight. Like he says I don’t think in his UFC fight he was really beat. I mean, well on the judges cards he was but he was never really in a bad situation or close to being finished. I’m always glad to see him fight. His interviews can be a little out there but you can really tell he’s speaking from the heart at the time. He’s for real. He tells it like he sees it, agree with his opinons or not atleast he’s not going to bullshit you.

About the weed thing, Every one is going to have their own opinion on that as well. I’ll tell you that I smoke before every jiu jitsu class and every time I roll. It works for me, Eddie Bravo advocates it too. Now i’m not saying its right but it seems to help me.

• Brent says:

Sam, do you really believe high THC levels would give someone an advantage in an MMA fight? If anything, if he came straight, it would have been an even worse night for Gomi…

• Tanner says:

Brent – Personally I don’t see how you could ever say that THC was a pain killer thats just crazy talk. I don’t know how they can claim that its a pain killer on hand, a beneficial drug and then condemn it in other sources by saying it slows your reaction time, motivation, etc. Like El Boxeo said there is a lot of mindless propganda out there.

• el boxeo says:

i also think he is right on with guys like huerta , who seem to be groomed to be superstars but in reality are bispbing lite…

to me it seems that diaz on any given night can beat most lw and he proved that by beating gomi.. ( mind you he not only beat him , he slugged it out with him then made a move that is nearly impossible to do and finished gomi with) why wouldnt the ufc say hey you can still make us money , or hey your still a great fighter.. but instead we all await another huerta mismatch or tuf alum fight…

i think he is right on with the whole behind the scenes politics that seem to overshadow a fighters ability to do just that FIGHT…

and with weed.. only reason we as a country havent made it legal (like alcohol and prohibition) is cause there are too many people in jail for this harmless drug… imagine the mea culpa the UNITED STATES GOVERNMENT would have to do by not only letting alot of people out for dealing or using weed but would probally have to compesate them monetarly…

but they try to save some face by allowing it to be used medically of “extreme cases” wtf… they know its harmless and compared to beer and cigarettes WEED SHOULD BE CONSIDERED A GODDAMN VITAMIN LOL

• E says:

I’m not sure if marijuana’s analgesic effects have been thoroughly studied, but it has been scientifically documented that is is an effective antiemetic agent (anti-nausea) and most antiemetic drugs are also mild analgesics. So it is possible that marijuana can and does act as a mild analgesic, however with that being said the way to determine if someone is experiencing those effects at that point in time is through a blood test NOT through a urine test.

My boring scientific jargon aside, great interview Sam, Diaz was much more focused in this than during his Sherdog interview. He’s a little misguided and not incredibly well informed on some issues, but I don’t think he’s a bad kid. Moreover, he does train his ass off (how many other guys compete in triathlons as part of their training) and always seems to fight his ass off (which almost always makes for damn entertaining fights).

• smelly hands says:

personality wise outside the ring i find nick to be a pretty normal ass kid. inside the ring he’s undisputably exciting and always comes to fight. nobody has finished nick diaz and he seems to get better every fight. just the other night they showed a couple of his fights on UFC Unleashed and it’s kind of funny that he’s getting play even though he’s no longer in the organization. to me nick diaz is a no brainer for drawing fight fans.

• Accomando says:

Imagine if the United States replaced the abundance of alchohol & alchohol related stores with Marijuana & THC stores…….

1) DUI deaths drop to thier lowest levels ever.

2) Rapes on college campuses drop by 99%

3) 75% less wives get beaten.

4) Alchohol overdose deaths go away, Marijuana overdoses go….oh wait, that’s impossible anyway!….(This fact always stuck out in my mind about the true threat of each drug)

5) Physical Confrontations due to “beer balls” drops by 95%

6) The excuse for why people do completely stupid and moronic things dissapears…….

“Oh, my bad dude, I was drunk!”

“I didn’t mean to piss all over the couch, I was drunk.”

“Sorry I puked all over your house & the bathroom, I was drunk, he he.”

Alchohol is a poisen and it effects the human body just like a poisen does. If the “idiot-excuse-juice” went away and was replaced with THC, the U.S. would be a safer place for us all.

Basically, the list could go on and on of the negative effects of alchohol, but hey, it’s legal, so it’s cool!!!

Pathetic really, alchohol is liquid heroin.

Drink up!

• Grape Knee High says:

Nick Diaz is a great fighter. But he is a serious moron. Sam, I’m surprised you let the “medical marijuana is to help them pass the time and make sure they eat enough” comment through without any further probing.

• Sam Caplan says:

Grape:

I let it pass because there are doctors who believe marijuana has medical benefits and use it to treat patients. Out of all the things he said, I think that was one of the least controversial. I’m not sure I agree with the passing the time argument, but the argument that it can help increase one’s appetite is perfectly legitimate.

• Sam Caplan says:

Brent:

I don’t know either way whether THC levels would help or hinder a fighter. Everyone reacts differently to drugs. I’ve been around stoners who wasted their life away eating junk food and sitting on the couch. And then I’ve been around completely functional stoners who I really felt actually needed it to get by. There have just been some people who I’ve met who I felt needed to get off of it while there were others who I felt needed to smoke more of it.

But when it comes to fighting, I have no idea because I’ve never trained or fought high.

I’ve gone back and forth on NSAC’s decision. When I first heard the win was declared a no contest, I was in disbelief. Then, when I heard the THC number (175) I felt maybe they had a valid point. But after talking with Diaz, if his point is correct that his level wasn’t all that abnormal then I don’t think overturning the win was warranted (suspension and fine, yes, but losing the win, no).

At the end of the day though, I really don’t have enough knowledge about drugs. That’s one thing I like about the interview is that it has seemed to spark a lot of debate and I’ve been pretty damn entertained reading everyone’s thoughts and opinions.

• Zack says:

My business is oncology (cancer) – in theory marijuana’s main benefits for a cancer patient undergoing chemotherapy are to reduce nauseau and vomiting and keep appetite up. The “pass the time” thing is just a throwaway remark – he may as well have said it helps you see through time.

• jaydog says:

I think he was trying to touch on the idea that people who are dying should be given some consideration when they self-medicate to alleviate suffering, depression, anxiety, etc. There are psychological benefits to THC (in circumstances like cancer) in addition to medical benefits. However, there are costs too, and Diaz is a living example of that. Anyhow, who says fighters need to be articulate? They definitely aren’t always role models (although there are some golden boys out there).

• Screwface says:

Accomando, excellent points, your 100% right on, mj pales in comparison to the dangers of alcohol a totally legal substance; and Sam excellent interview, def one of the best. I’m more a Diaz fan now then i was b4, i applaud his honesty and a fighter of his caliber really should have more money in his bank account. He said what needed to be said, MMA fighters really do need to start seeing boxing money. Those ppvs and shows make ridiculous amounts, they can afford to give fighters more.

• FullMetal says:

Man up Caplan… What did Diaz really call Mayweather? There seemed to be a few key pieces missing from that part of the conversation.

• bubbafat says:

Nick D is an awesome fighter. I don’t care at all about the opinions, philosophies, or politics of a guy who gets punched in the head for a living.
    I watched Jeff Monson go off once about anarchy and he made some points but… he takes punches to the head for a living.

• Sam Caplan says:

He called Mayweather a piece of shit. I don’t think it’s too hard to figure out what word we were trying to censor.

• Dan says:

To each his own. If he wants to relax with weed instead of drinking alcohol which is way more destructive no matter how you twist and turn it, then fine, let him. Why would anyone care as long as it’s not affecting them.

I understand that it can be hard to swallow that something you have been thaught your whole life is bad can actually have good effects. Keep in mind that cannabis(weed) is one of the oldest medicines and was used for all sorts of things in certain cultures before being outlawed.

The biggest gain i see from using weed while training is after hard workouts. Weed does help relax the muscles. And relaxed muscles equals better recovery or at the very worst makes you feel better. As Nick sais, it helps him let time go by fster. Instead of lying in agony with a hurting body he can smoke weed and relax both his muscles and brain. All of you who speaks out against it, do you really think it’s better to use painkillers which have far worse sideeffects?

Training while high i think could potentially be good for if done carefully for things like developing your bjj when stuck at a certain level.

• smelly hands says:

sam, you should give rogan a call on this subject(weed)…you’ll pull some serious hits if you do as rogan is extremely entertaining when it comes to drugs and just his general outlook on things.