Results from the Sept. 17 K-1 HERO’s card from the Yokohama Arena in Kanagawa, Japan are making the rounds on various Internet sites.
The results are as follows:
– Takenori Sato defeated Kenji Nagai via armbar submission at 2:40 of round 1 in the opening bout.
– Kazuyuki Miyata defeated Harvey Harra via armbar submission at 1:13 round 1 in a middleweight tournament reserve bout.
– Andre Dida won a two round unanimous decision over Caol Uno in a HERO’s middleweight tournament semifinal.
– In the other middleweight tournament semifinal, Gesias “JZ” Calvancanti recorded a TKO (referee stoppage) at 0:35 on round 1 over Vitor “Shaolin” Ribeiro. JZ is no joke and I’d love to see him fighting in the States.
– Ikuhisa Minowa TKO’d Kevin Casey via strikes at 0:42 of round 2
– Dong Sik Yoon submitted Zelg Galesic with an armbar at 1:29 of round 1. I believe that’s two straight losses for “Mini Cro Cop.”
– Melvin Manhoef TKO’d Fabio Silva via strikes at 1:00 of round 1. Might we see a future showdown between Manhoef vs. Denis Kang?
– Sergei Kharitonov TKO’d Alistair Overeem at 4:21 of round 1.
– Kazushi Sakuraba submitted Katsuyori Shibata with an armbar at 6:20 of round 1. Thank god Sakuraba didn’t face Kang.
– Norifumi “Kid” Yamamoto made his long-awaited return to MMA and recorded a unanimous three-round decision victory over Bibiano Fernandes. It’s good to have Kid back on the scene. It’s a shame North American fight fans don’t get a chance to see him on a regular basis.
– In the middleweight tournament final, Gesias “JZ” Calvancanti submitted Andre Dida via armbar in the first round.