Where in the world is Fabricio Werdum?

I’m on the road right now so I apologize for the lack of updates. Then again, from what I can gather, there isn’t much to update.

I am in LA right now on business (there are going to be some major changes to 5 Oz. in the near future and that’s all I can say) and was able to catch the final two matches of UFN 11 (yes, the hotel I’m at had Spike TV!!!). Martin and Leben were trading bombs and I really thought it was just a matter of time until Martin put him away. But Leben’s chin is really good and the announcers were correct in pointing out that he was in the best shape he’s been in for quite some time. The ending caught me off guard a bit.

As for Kenny Florian, what can you say about the guy? He’s really built himself into a tremendous fighter. I think he deserves another shot at the lightweight title assuming B.J. Penn and Joe Stevenson fight for it at UFC 78 (assuming Sherk loses his appeal and is stripped). Florian should get winner.

One other thing I wanted to add, and I know it’s random, but we’re always asking about “What happened to this fighter?” or “What’s going on with this fighter?” One guy that has completey disappeared from the radar that nobody is talking about is Fabricio Werdum.

If I remember, the UFC sort of touted his signing. But after his snoozer of a match with Andrei Arlovski we haven’t heard a thing from him. Is he injured? Did he get his contract cut? Is he taking some time off?

If anyone knows of his whereabouts, please let me know in the comments area.

BTW, all systems are go for another edition of “Inside the Cage Radio” this weekend. Be ready!

• Jeremy says:

Last thing I heard about Werdum is that he had joined Chute Boxe in Brazil and he just recently begun training there. My guess is that move, along with his snoozer of a fight against Arlovski has delayed any recent fight of his. I’d expect to see him either in Dec. or early next year. The article about him joining Chute Boxe never mentioned that he was no longer in the UFC that I remember, so I am assuming we will see him agian. I don’t remember what site it was(Graciemag or tatame) about his move, but I’d check those two out.

• Davey D says:

Werdum is the head ju-jitsu trainer at Chute Boxe now. He is probably just getting settled in and should be fighting soon. Ninja just fought, Shogun’s fight is Saturday and another CB fighter fought in K-1 the other day. Plus there is an IFL type of league in Brazil that CB has a team in too so I’m sure he’s been busy as hell as of late.

I’d like to see him fight before the end of the year so hopefully it will be in November or December. Maybe he could fight Kongo or Mir? If you go to the Tatame website you’ll see him training some CB guys and he was on the UFC 76 TV show the other day when they profiled Shogun.

• garth says:

Davey: that’s a part of MMA that doesn’t get discussed a lot, the team aspect. Sure, in things like TUF and sometimes tapout they talk a little about team, but the fact that fighters fly and drive all over helping their teammates prep and cornering and the like doesn’t get mentioned too often.
    I’d like to see more of Werdum, he’s a talented fighter.

• Considering it looks like UFC78 needs some serious name power to avoid being lame like UFC76, you’d think the UFC would stuff Werdum on there to shore things up a bit.

• Grape Knee High says:

I’ll bet Zuffa is still trying to figure out exactly what to do with Werdum and how to integrate him into the UFC HW picture. For one, I suspect that when they signed him, it was more a shortsighted shot against PRIDE and PRIDE fans — ie, “All your base are belong to us” — than it was that they really, really wanted him to be a UFC fighter. They were still in the the arms race against PRIDE.

Now they’re in a position where they have this top HW grappler, but don’t know how to market him or position him in the championship ladder without upsetting any of their immediate plans. I wouldn’t be surprised if they used him in a very sparing, gatekeeper type role (a la Assuerio Silva) before releasing him.

Whatever the case, they showed him a few times during Shogun’s Chute Boxe clips in this week’s UFC, so it doesn’t look like he’s in Zuffa’s doghouse or anything (unlike, let’s say, Pat Miletich).

• hbdale309 says:

I’m pretty sure he’s getting punished for his boring fight vs. Andrei. The UFC is trying to tell Werdum that if you don’t leave it all out there in octagon then you ain’t gon’ be fighting.

• hbdale309 says:

I’m pretty sure he’s getting punished for his boring fight vs. Andrei. The UFC is trying to tell Werdum that if you don’t leave it all out there in the octagon then you ain’t gon’ be fighting.

• dice says:

I have to agree with hbdale on this issue. Dana’s statements for both fighters after that fight were nothing but negative. It seemed like he felt they had wronged him in someway by putting on such a terrible show. Its bad enough when one fighter is unwilling to engage but when its 2 then it really becomes a snooze fest. One of the worst performances of the year.

Ps In all honesty I can’t remember hearing much about arlovski either

• bubbafat says:

I know the UFC wouldn’t do it(maybeWEC), but their org’s are so stacked with world class grappling talent, why don’t they feature a jiu jitsu match or freestyle grappling match with one of their top MMA grapplers vs a champion BJJ guy. I love MMA but I would love to see how some of these guys would match up under grappling rules. I mean, Randy went to a draw with Ronaldo Jacare so ….

• Ivan Trembow says:

Werdum had the nerve to have a “boring fight,” which is the worst sin that you can commit (worse than a positive drug test, apparently).

• Grape Knee High says:

Unlike everyone else, it seems, I don’t think it has to do with his one boring fight. If he were marketable he’d be right back in the mix. (See: Sanchez and Koscheck who pretty much had the exact same fight as Arlovski and Werdum.)

Arlovski hasn’t gotten a fight because of his contract, not because his fight was boring (not to say that fight didn’t affect Zuffa’s price ceiling for him). Werdum hasn’t because he’s not marketable as of yet and I really do think Zuffa hasn’t figured out how he fits in yet. Personally, I don’t understand why the UFC signed him especially seeing as how PRIDE let him go; PRIDE only signed him to teach Cro Cop BJJ and they got what they wanted out of him. I love watching him fight simply due to his high grappling talent, but I think he has a tendency to give up in fights, and this was evident before the Arlovski fight.