5 Oz. of Pain’s Pound-for-Pound Top 10 and New Rankings Section

First off, FiveOuncesOfPain.com soft-launched the debut of its new rankings area earlier this week. You can check them out by clicking the “rankings” tab at the top of the homepage or by clicking here. Special thanks to Matt for getting that section all set up. Right now I’m the only one who voted in the ratings but the plan is to get Matt, Adam, and Ben involved next month as well.

Also, the votes are in for Yahoo!’s top 10 pound-for-pound September poll. You can check that out by clicking here.

Just like last month, I’m making my ballot available to the public so they can see who I voted for and why:

1. Randy Couture - He’s been active and has been dominant in his last two wins. Plus, in head-to-head situations I feel he’d beat most people on this list. I was surprised I was the only one on the poll who voted Randy number one.

2. Fedor Emelianenko - I vote on three polls now (Yahoo!, FIGHT!, and “Inside MMA” on HDNet) and the easy thing to do is to just jot down Fedor as number one. But I really put thought into my rankings and had to ask myself, is Fedor still number one considering his inactivity as of late? The answer is no.

3. Quinton “Rampage” Jackson – When your last two wins are over Chuck Liddell and Dan Henderson it’s hard to question a guy.

4. Georges St. Pierre – As I mentioned last month, my criteria is based on fighting frequency, quality of wins, and pure fighting ability. The loss to Serra still weighs in my mind but GSP earned my respect back by dominating Josh Koscheck in August. And there aren’t many fighters in the world with more pure talent than St. Pierre.

5. B.J. Penn – Is a win over Jens Pulver all that impressive at this point? Perhaps not but Penn took care of business and the pure fighting criteria used for GSP is also a factor in this vote.

6. Anderson Silva – He’s just so dominant within his own division that it’s hard to rank him any lower. He’s fought well against top quality opponents.

7. Paulo Filho - Undefeated and has looked dominant most of the way. I’d love to see him against other top middleweights such as Silva, Henderson, Matt Lindland and Denis Kang.

8. Dan Henderson – He lost to Rampage but fought well.

9. Kid Yamamoto - He wasn’t on my top ten last month because of inactivity. Well, after fighting and winning for K-1 HERO’s earlier this month there was no way I could keep him off.

10. Gesias “JZ Calvan” Calvancanti - He rocketed up my rankings. Two dominating wins in one night will do that for a fighter. He also looked strong at USA Dynamite!! Nam Phan was giving up size but he’s still a good fighter and JZ cut right through him.

• Jeremy says:

First off, thanks for the effort put in to making the rankings. It’s a minor thing but it’s fun to look at and discuss, although it will probably bring more aggravation then anything to you guys.

Now onto a couple questions. Ben Rothwell as the No.5 heavyweight? Do you really think the competition is good enough in the IFL HW division to be deserving of that ranking or does it come down to the guys below him either being inactive or losing fights recently?

No Diego Sanchez or Josh Koscheck in the welterweight division rankings? Must say I was surprised by that. What went into your thinking to not have them in there?

No. 1 Lightweight BJ Penn? I have all the respect in the world for Penn but it seemed rather quick to put him at No.1. What did you base the ranking on for him?

• Sam Caplan says:

Jeremy:

All good questions that deserve answers:

1) Rothwell really hasn’t been pushed like he needs to be but he’s fought all the best in the IFL and has been dominant. I know Ricco wasn’t in top shape, but I still have respect for his ground game so a win over a former UFC heavyweight champ. Also, loses and inactivity by his peers also played a role as you alluded to.

2. I am a Diego fan but he’s 0-2. I also like Koscheck but he’s coming off a loss and was in the back of my top ten. With so many good competitors at 170 one loss when you’re in the bottom five of the top ten can be enough to move you out.

3. I factored Penn’s past history at lightweight into the equation. Also, pure fighting skill is also I factor into it. My criteria isn’t based solely on recent accomplishments (although it heavily skews that way). When I put B.J. head-to-head with a lot of guys at 155 lbs., I project him as the winner.

• Luke says:

I, too, vote on Inside MMA’s rankings and I, too, have Fedor as #2.

• Sam Caplan says:

Luke:

Adam mentioned to me via IM that you had Fedor at #2. I had already been concerned about the inactivity and when Adam mentioned it, I just felt like you were right.

Do you have Randy number one?

• Pramit says:

Sam,
    I’ll be making my rankings public this evening. I’m proud to say I was bold enough to push Fedor to #3. I’ll catch some flack for that but who has he fought outside Mark Hunt in his division in the last 2 years?

Pramit

• Evan says:

Can’t say I can argue strongly at any point on the list. It’s a bit shocking seeing Randy number one but why shouldn’t he be? What he has done all things considered is simply amazing.

And I think the timing is right to move Fedor. If he is chosing Sambo over MMA right now then the slotting fits. If he doesn’t fight by years end I would even drop him to 3.

• Evan says:

Pramit

But he did fight Hunt and won. Can’t take that away from him.

• demonianray says:

I respect ur opinion but ur rankings suck especially the LHW ranks. I dont think rankings should be considered on past history just recent, cause that’s why they’re called rankings, if it were for past history, Royce Gracie would be no.1 in all of them. Thats’why all time greats rankings should exist. Ranks should be just recent accomplishments, like putting Randy no.1 i agree with that…not entirely but i agree Fedor is not no.1 And i agree with Jeremy, Koscheck and Diego not in the WW ranks ?? thats crazy, MATT SERRA #6!!??? THE GUY BEAT THE NO.1 GUY AND THE CHAMP he deserves the top spot, he may not be the best WW technically, but he showed why in april.

• garth says:

I love applying activity to the rankings… this is one of the few sports where someone can do nothing and be considered the greatest ever. I feel it’s a huge mistake, has been a huge mistake, on both the UFC’s and Team Fedor’s part to leave him idle this long. I know he’s a freak of nature, but when he runs into hug’n’destroy it’s going to be trouble.
    Where’s the “Loyal 5oz Commenters” ranking section, Sam?!

• Screwface says:

i can agree with all except filho, yamamato, and calvincanti. Yes they are good fighters but having a few good wins recently shouldnt sway ur decison to call them pound for pound top ranked. if thats the case then throw mighty mo and roger huerta in there too. not that i agree with that but essentially what ur doing when u add those 3. keep sleepin on soukodjou, 1 of these days ull be a believer ;)

• Screwface says:

ohh yeah and what about urijah faber? hes pound for pound hands down best in his weight class.

• hbdale309 says:

Who has Kid Yamamoto beaten to deserve to be in your top 10 pound for pound? Also, his last fight was awful: he squeaked out a UD against a one dimensional mma rookie. Take a look at his last few opponents; people seriously need to get off of this guy’s jock.

• Pramit says:

Here’s my ballot, as promised, with some explanation as well: