Report: Ortiz vs. Henderson not happening at UFC 78

Dave Meltzer of The Wrestling Observer reported on the newsletter’s website that a rumored main event between Dan Henderson vs. Tito Ortiz at UFC 78 is not happening and that the UFC is still aiming for a bout between Ortiz vs. Rashad Evans on the card:

Regarding rumors going around of a Tito Ortiz vs. Dan Henderson fight on 11/17 in Newark, NJ, there is nothing to it. It was something discussed, but not all that seriously. Right now the expected main event for the show is Ortiz vs. Rashad Evans, but Ortiz is playing hardball when it comes to signing.

• Ryder Die says:

The Ortiz vs. Evans rematch is not as appealing as the UFC thinks. I myself would rather see Ortiz fight Henderson. I think Henderson vs. Ortiz would be a more interesting fight than Evans. The rematch is gonna bomb, wait and see!

• Fujin says:

No thanks. I’ll save the $200+ it costs to go the event then.

• Tanner says:

I’m definatey not looking forward to this PPV, theres just not a marquee draw there. Sure I like Frankie Edgar but come on, and Tito vs Rashad II? Thats your main event? Maybe the UFC is starting to spread it self to thin. I definately don’t want to keep paying $40 for cards that don’t have title fights on them and that are headlined but Tito Ortiz? Don’t get me wrong, tito has been around for a while but do they really think they can use him to sell a PPV to anyone anymore?

• Jeremy says:

When you basically have a PPV every month and only 5 weight divisions you are going to have PPV events without title fights. That’s inevitable, especially with injuries and/or suspensions(Sherk) that may lessen the available title fights. In that way they are spread to thin if you expect a title fight every PPV card.

Fighter wise overall they have a ton of fighters. I personally have always thought they have wasted some good matchups on the Fight Night and TUF Finale shows that would have been better off for the paying customer on the PPV shows. I have no problem with having one big fight on the Spike shows and then up-and-comers and TUF guys but they often have matchups that could easily fill PPV shows, even on undercards of the Spike shows.

• […] it looks like Tito knows he’s the UFC’s saving grace on this card and is playing hardball on signing any fight: Right now the expected main event for the show is Ortiz vs. Rashad Evans, but Ortiz is playing […]

• steve24 says:

TAGG radio really needs to stop spreading these reports.

• Brandt says:

There’s no way I will be spending any money to see this card if it doesn’t shape up anytime soon. Luckily there is a local restaurant that airs the UFC PPV’s at individual flatscreen TV’s at each table so I can save my money and still see if anything interesting happens if I decide to watch. Dana is out of his mind if he thinks the east coast enthusiasts care about Ortiz-Evans II.

• Jeremy says:

Brandt, I don’t think the UFC is setting up this event as something and avid mma fan would be interested in greatly. They probably figure that people from the NYC/NewJersey/Philly area will come out in great numbers just to see a UFC event now that it has become so popular. Along with several east coast fighters rumored to be on the card, they also have Gono and Chonan rumored which makes good sense in a large asian market like this area. Then Ortiz, whom to a casual observer is still a recognizable name. Not a big time card but it makes sense to the area, just not the ppv numbers.

• thunderlippps says:

I like the Tito/Rashad rematch. I hoped Rashad would send Tito down last time, and he got close. I think he can finish the job this time and I will love seeing him do it.

• paddiosf says:

That card so far is alittle weak, Ortiz probaly doesn’t want to fight Henderson because Hendo ground game is more superior…Ortiz can’t afford to lose another fight in that stacked LHW division….

• jjdnb says:

yeah I thought it sounded to good to be true. I guess thats why ufcmania and some other bigger sites didnt list it.

• Ali says:

Tito vs. Rashad rematch IS NOT WORTHY AS A MAIN EVENT!!

Lets have Tito vs. Wandy!

• rearnkdchoke78 says:

“….but Ortiz is playing hardball when it comes to signing.”

SOURCE?

• Jeremy says:

I know Meltzer wrote an article for foxsports on who he wants to see matched up in the LHW division. Some pretty good ideas as well. There are tons of options in that weight class right now.

• Sam Caplan says:

#13, read the post.

• […] rumored card for UFC 78 on Nov. 17 in Newark, NJ has been posted several times on FiveOuncesOfPain.com and thus far the responses haven’t been all that positive. But I need to speak up because I […]