Evan Tanner: “I am setting a date, and on that day I will stop drinking.”

The following is the latest entry from Evan Tanner’s blog:

I am setting a date.

I am setting a date, and on that day I will stop drinking. That will be the day I begin to be a better man. That will be the day I begin to find the best of me. That will be the day I begin to find the best of what life can be. I want to find the magic. Join me. If you want to make a change in your life, join me. If any of you want to find the best of yourself, join me. If you want to find your own magic, join me. I am going to quit drinking, get back into training, and step into the Octagon again, and when I do, it will be dedicated to all of you who have the courage to believe in the best of what you can be, all of you who have the courage to stand up with me and face your fears and weaknesses. We will stand shoulder to shoulder, an unconquerable army. BELIEVE in what you can do, and it will happen.

I am setting a date.

It has been said that I am done, that I will never fight again. It has been said that I have no chance of ever being a champion again. I refuse to accept that. I challenge you to believe in yourself. I challenge you to do what they say can not be done. Join this army of unconquerable souls.

It’s not about fighting inside of the Octagon anymore for Tanner. Although that may be his ultimate goal and the light at the end of the tunnel that keeps him on the correct path, battling alcoholism is Evan’s biggest issue at the moment. Tanner has given us some great moments inside the Octagon.

Being the middleweight champion of the UFC and only knowing MMA techniques through instructional DVDs is a pretty impressive feat. If Tanner can kick his drinking habit and make a return to the Octagon, then that will be his most impressive feat of all. Should he return, win or lose, he will be able to hang his head high.

We’re all rooting for you, Evan. Hope to see you back in the Octagon soon, boss.

• Rory says:

Maybe if he fixes his boat he can, like, find his magic easier, man.

• glock says:

Setting a date?? WTF.. How about yesterday?
    Don’t BS a BSer…
    JUST DO IT.

I was glad to hear the initial rumors weeks ago that he was scheduled to fight again . Then bummed to see his letter dispelling those rumors and the account of his “livin’ in a bottle”. Now I’m glad to see he’s gonna try to beat that demon and fight again.
    Well, I’ve a number of friends that have crossed paths with him at various times in Vegas and wherever and all said he was a great, gracious, friendly, guy. I hope he can do it; win , lose or draw in the ring, so long as it’s for his heart and head – not his wallet.

Nobody’s gotta tell him the odd’s are not in his favor, but, in MMA (UFC in particular) odds don’t mean a lot…..
    it’s the fight in dog, not the dog in the fight.
    Good Luck, Evan, I’m routin for ya.

• steve24 says:

What’s going to happen to him when he come’s back and loses? He’s going to want a beer then.

What happens if he wins? He’s definitely going to want a beer at his after party.

The fact that he has to set a date to quit drinking, um… loss for words.

• garth says:

setting a date is bullshit. sorry. i’m rooting for him, but it’s just a cop out. unless the date is right then when he’s writing it he’s just effin around

• Evan says:

If he was serious there would be no date. It would be today, not the random generic date.

Good luck to him, but it would seem he has a ways to go before he can even begin to really fight this.

• Yeah, I have too much experience with addiction and addicts to buy this. I hope the dude ditches the dramatics and just gets healthy.

• Ivan Trembow says:

I hope that Evan Tanner is able to get his life back on track and overcome his addictions.