Site Announcement: Sam Caplan hired by ProElite.com

Dear Readers:

You may recall that I teased a big announcement last week on FiveOuncesOfPain.com. That announcement is that I’ve been hired by ProElite.com as their lead writer and editor on a full-time basis.

This was a huge move for me to make both on a personal and professional level, but it is one that I am very excited about. I was already very satisfied with where I was at and then out of nowhere I was presented with an opportunity to do some big things for one of the fastest growing companies in MMA. This is a an announcement that I am very happy about and I’m very appreciative of the fact that ProElite thought highly enough of me to want to bring me into the family.

I also realize that this announcement will no doubt raise valid concerns about my continued objectivity in regard to my coverage of MMA. In case you aren’t already aware, ProElite is the parent company of EliteXC. I wanted to take some time here and address some of the concerns that you may or may not have.

To read the rest of this story, click here.

• Matt says:

Let me be the first to congratulate you, Sam.. Have fun with the opportunity!

• Phreak says:

Congratulations, Sam! I wish you all the best and look forward to continually reading your pieces. I wouldn’t be concerned to much about the issue of objectivity, either. People, for the most part, are fickle. They’re going to believe whatever they want to believe, regardless of who’s putting the pen to the paper (or fingers to the keyboard). Keep up the good work!

• Erik says:

Congratulations, Sam!

• Luke D says:

Congratulations Sam, its a shame you’re not gonna be posting at fiveouncesofpain as often now, as ive come to love this site, but im sure all your regular readers will wish you all the best in your new career move

• Jeremy says:

Definitely a big congrats Sam on the move to ProElite.com and EliteXC. I am definitely a little sad that you won’t be posting here as much, as this has become one of my main stops for MMA news. But with all the recent writers that have joined the site I am sure they will pick up the slack enough to keep the site going strong.

• MJC_123 says:

Well done man…
    Happy to hear someone of true worth and of undoubted journalistic quality is riding the MMA boom.
    Just make sure Proelite.com gets an RSS feed so we can get easy updates on what your writting and I will be happy.

Good luck and enjoy the freebies!

• Luke says:

Congrats, Sam!

• Gygax says:

Congrats Sam. ProElite is getting a good one, no doubt.

• Dr J says:

Congrats Sam.

• Kris says:

Congrats…

• Tanner says:

Congrats Sam, although i hope that 5 oz. doesn’t end up with a lack of updates on a regular basis its good to see that you are going to be able to take your talents else where. Good luck with ProElite

• […] to Sam Caplans website Five Ounces Of Pain, top freelance MMA writer Sam Caplan will be taking the lead writer/editor job with ProElite.com, […]

• Vess says:

Congrats on your new job as a paid shill for Proelite.

As a sports “journalist” and I use that term loosely in your case, even a perceived bias creates a cloud of suspicion on any article written by you.

I was wondering if your all of your new articles will be preceded by PR WIRE?

• Sam Caplan says:

Vess:

Thanks for the congratulations.

In regards to the PR WIRE, I’m not sure. I will ask my bosses and get back to you on that one.

• bubbafat says:

When I get home from work and check websites for info , this is the first site on my list. For few years now I’ve been an MMA fan in limbo, no info or sportshows or anything, to appease my martial arts pallet. This is it. As soon as I discovered this site it became #1 on my favorites list. Objectivity, integrity, and a talent for the written word bring me here. Sam, your objectivity, and cred are not in question here at all. No matter who else you write for I will get my information here. What makes me nervous is being left without my infusion of MMA updates, because you’ve decided to follow other endeavors fulltime. Please(i know i’m selfish) don’t spread yourself too thin buddy. This is great work you do here and I thank you for it.
    By the way , Congrats on the new gig.

• Remember our deal : you punch $kala in the face the first chance you get, and we can still be friends ;-)

• Matt Boone says:

Congrats Sammy, tear shit up

• […] Sam Caplan has been hired by Pro Elite. […]

• Sam Caplan says:

Linker:

We made no such deal.

• Vess says:

Sorry for being a bit harsh, Mr.Caplan.

I call’em as I see’em, can you say the same?

• Sam Caplan says:

Vess:

If you don’t feel like I have in the past, feel free to speak up. And if you read my work in the future and don’t feel like I am calling it down the middle, by all means, speak up.

• Big D D says:

Congrats Sam. I always come to you for an insightful opinion. Great job on moving on up. Now I will have a reason to bookmark proelite.com, but don’t forget the little people (us readers of 5oz) now that you are big time.

• robnashville says:

Congrats, Sam. As long as you call it down the middle and keep your writing multi-dimensional you should be fine. One of my favorite articles you have written for 5oz was the review of the Rua Lawler card. I breathed a sigh of relief and said Hey, someone is actually doing reportage on EXC, not just rummaging through 10k’s, !0Q’s and other various and sundry financial data. that stuff is fine but some folks have tunnel vision with it. Your report on the card was even handed, giving both praise and scorn where you saw fit. That has been the calling card for your blog here: intelligent, informed opinion and news on the full spectrum of MMA. Stick to those principles and no one should have a problem with your working for ProElite.

• Greg Urb says:

Way to Go Sam! That’s awesome…they are a up and comer and it’s fun to work for a company like that..

• jaydog says:

How ironic, I just got Showtime added to my dish and now my favorite MMA writer is going to be instrumental in the network’s up and coming promotion. I’d really like to know more about exactly which aspects of the ProElite will have your finger prints on them. After just peeking at the site for a moment, I am impressed that you posted the very same announcement there as on this site. You are setting the tone as well as a pretty high bar for yourself. I mean, it seems like your job is going to be to build that organization, which is an undeniably partisan role. I have no qualms with that. Self-promotion (and promoter promotion) is the name of the game in MMA, often at the expense of sportsmanship. At any rate, capable critical thinkers are needed at all levels of all of these MMA organizations and I think this is a positive sign of MMA’s growth and direction.

• Brent says:

Congratulations Sam! Get some of Brad’s guys signed to EliteXC!

Seriously, great news for you and your family.

• Zack says:

Awesome for you Sam – “legit” MMA media needs writers like you.

I’ll miss the content on 5 oz of pain – I echo what someone said earlier: this was my first MMA site of the day.

• hbdale309 says:

I knew big things were coming your way when I first started reading your pieces on CBS Sportsline. You have loads of talent and truthfully, you blow the rest of these “MMA journalists” out of the water.

Congrats, well deserved.

I hope you still have time to interview people for us. Your interviews are the best.