TUF 6: Episode 3 Thoughts/Recap

As always we open with last week’s fight. If you didn’t know, Matt Arroyo tapped out Dorian Price by rear naked choke in round one. They all give congrats to Matt in the locker room, yada, yada, yada. They should rename this season TUF 6: Same Crap, Different Fighters. This isn’t the first time I’ve said this and it certainly won’t be the last. TUF needs a major overhaul in the worst possible way. This format was stale three seasons ago. It hasn’t changed since the original season, with the exception of the subtraction of the “challenges” a la Survivor.  Long story short, this show needs a freakin’ makeover.

Anyways, the biggest drama of this season so far has been that of Joe Scarola. Throughout this episode, Scarola acted like a complete bitch. He’s bitching to the fighters about wanting to leave, he’s bitching to Matt Serra about wanting to leave, and everyone is sick of it. Let’s face it, right here and right now. This kid’s not Noah Inhoefer anymore. He’s in a league of his own. Because he’s acting like a little bitch, Serra makes him do some hard sparring. Good for him.

Fight selection time comes, and Serra is thinking that Hughes will either pick George Sotiropoulos or Richie Hightower for the next fight. Serra thinks George is less likely to get picked because he believes Hughes sees him as their top dog. Serra’s wrong on both accounts when Hughes chooses Billy Miles to face off against John Kolosci. It seems that Serra couldn’t be happier with this fight than if he chose it himself.

They sort of do a little glimpse of each fighter and what they’re like. Billy’s a family guy with a kid and a wife. He says the stress of being in the house and being away from his family is getting to him. One of Hughes’ coaches talks to him and reassures him about the whole experience.

This is one point where it got really interesting. Hughes addresses the team before practice is over, telling them to make everything of their experience. He also drops the “bombshell” that he’s probably got two or three more fights left in him and then he’s walking away. Whoopty-doo. This shouldn’t be shocking news to anyone, really. Hughes doesn’t have the complete game to compete at the top welterweight level anymore. The sport has passed him by and he’s not getting any younger.

The most interesting thing about this whole exchange is that Hughes say he didn’t train properly for his last three or four fights. Do I smell an excuse for the loss against Georges St. Pierre? Matt Hughes making an excuse? Say it ain’t so.

That’s right. Hughes conveniently made sure that we knew that his loss to GSP was due to his “inferior training.” Right. Sure it was, bud. Keep telling yourself that until you get another shin in your face at the hands of GSP.

Next up, Serra’s team practices and we get a look at John Kolosci. He’s one of Serra’s team members who is absolutely loving the opportunity to be there and train with a world champion. John sort of reminds me of Joe Lauzon from last season. Lauzon had the day job, computer programmer, IT guy and fighting was his side job. John does the same thing, overseeing some Microsoft thingamajig at some multi-million dollar healthcare corporation or some crap. Either way, the guy is all smiles and is loving every minute of the experience. You could say he’s the anti-Scarola. That means I already like the guy.

On top of that, he says he enjoys being punched and knowing he’s in a fight. Serra reiterates that Hughes doesn’t know what he got Billy into. I’m thinking the same thing. Kolosci seems a little crazy.

Back at the house, Dana “allows” the fighters to watch UFC 72 with their coaches. What a gift. The worst UFC pay per view of all time. Thanks, Dana. Hughes brings some wings and shrimp for his guys to eat. Oh, and he brings Mac Danzig some french fries since he’s a vegan. Serra brings…himself and Pete Sell. We got a party goin’ now!

Hughes and Serra basically don’t pay attention to each other and comment during the one-on-one interviews about how they can’t stand each other. Blah, blah, drama, drama. I just want to see these two scrap and get it over with.

Joe “Crybaby” Scarola can’t even handle watching UFC 72 because he can’t even think about fighting. At this point, I really wish Serra would tell him to get the hell out of the house, but he gives Scarola every opportunity to stay. Serra doesn’t even watch UFC with the guys, he spends his whole time outside on the porch talking to Scarola, who keeps telling Serra to get him out of there.

At one point, Serra even threatens Joe with his job back in New York. He told Joe that if he didn’t wise up and stay, he’d never be welcome to teach in any of Serra’s schools and Scarola says he doesn’t care.

Serra is real fed up with this by this time, and he brings in the big guns: Dana White.

Could it be? Our first “Do you want to be a fucking fighter” speech?

Nope. Some easy talking from Dana to Scarola, telling him that if he leaves, there’s no coming back. He tells Scarola not the mess up the opportunity of a lifetime. I agree. Scarola’s got the best opportunity ever. Most of these guys end up fighting on Fight Nights or the Finale, so why not stick around? Give it another go. Dana tells him to sleep on it.

What does Scarola do? He gets up and leaves the house. Bye, Joe. Nice knowing you. What did I tell you guys last week the over/under was on Scarola? Two shows? I took the under. Haha, bitches! Peace out, Joe!

Somewhere in between all this drama, the fighters get hammered and mess up the house. Standard TUF protocol.

Alright, it’s fight time. I’m ready for someone to get punched in the face or choked out at this point in the evening, so let the fists fly, gentlemen! Billy Miles, the self proclaimed “best wrestler in the house” gets completely dominated. It isn’t even a fight, really. John Kolosci takes him down with ease, but Billy gets back up. John gets a mean double leg and slams Miles back on the mat, working some small shots to the body and head and a decent elbow. Miles gets a reversal, works Kolosci against the cage and leaves his head exposed on Kolosci’s side. John sinks in the guillotine, stands up, and Billy taps. Simple as that.

Dana, Hughes, and his coaches all think Billy choked. Dana even goes “I think he choked. No pun intended. Hahahaha!” Oh, Dana.  John Kolosci moves to the quarterfinals, Serra’s team goes on top 2-1 and picks the next fight. Things are looking good in Serra’s camp.

Next week’s preview shows Dorian Price absolutely losing his mind. Looks like he’s trying to attack the camera crew, maybe? Take it easy, Dorian, you’re reppin’ the 513, we get it. I don’t think I’ve ever heard someone say “I’m fuckin’ crazy, man” more than I’ve heard Dorian Price say it already. Also next week, Hughes is a dick and he’s pissed that his team is getting worked right now.

• glock says:

Josaphine….. I don’t even know what to say… His ‘girl’ if she hasn’t found a new ‘man’ while he was away, will sure be looking for one after that performance.
    hate to say it joey but you’re the only one that thinks you’re not a dick,douchbag,or pussy. no big surprise that you weren’t there for the team, when it was clear that you weren’t there for yourself in yer own fight.. once he got your dress over your head you tapped. well you got your 15 minutes- everyone will be so proud.You starred in T.U.P with a comic bit in T.U.F.

• Billy tapped in like 2-3 on an air choke that can take quite a while knock some body out. best wrestler my ass. i liked how Miles used the logo to his advantage, shows he has more brains then most guys on the show.

I’m glad Joe is out and maybe more of these idiots will leave. I hate it when these guys act like jackasses but it makes for interesting tv. They need to let these guys have some thing else to do like read at least MMA books or technique dvds, and get rid of the booze!

I wonder if dorian actually attacked the cameraman or if he just rushed him?

• RT says:

TUF 6: Same Crap, Different Fighters.
    that shit is genius.

• sddsff says:

Your attitude kinda sucks.

• [...] Morgan shares the same sentiments as I do about this season’s version of The Ultimate fighter show. Last night’s show was [...]

• paddiosf says:

Joey what a joke, I’ll laugh if his girl leaves his ass after seeing him cry like a baby..TUF is getting alittle waterdown and Boring to me…..I know it’s still early in the show, I hope to see a up-incoming Star out of this bunch….

• garth says:

from what i remember john was sick, sniffling, coming into the fight, and didn’t make any excuses. the elementary nature of the sub was kind of sad…i mean, is this the quality of fighter they have on right now? a simple triangle choke the guy taps to, and a simple guillotine that gets a tap? it’s early still, but come on, even corey hill was more insteresting than this shit. basically, these guys have to start beating the shit out of each other in the back yard for it to be interesting at all, and then we’re in jerry springer land.
    so my question is…what season did TUF jump the shark? 4? 3?

• dice says:

I couldn’t agree more with you assessment of Matt Hughes. I think guys like Kos, Fitch, Sanchez, GSP(obviously) have passed him up. Hell even Jake Shields and Karo would give him a run for his money these days.

• Accomando says:

“…get another shin in your face at the hands of GSP…”

at the legs of.

• The Original Steve says:

That shot of the kamura hughes had slapped on his student looked a bit rough. I honestly think hughes is, well ill just say it, a racist.
    The way he laughed “with” dorian saying “this is the match-up we wanted” almost struck me like he wanted dorian to be eliminated as early as possible. Its pretty clear that “Pure” stand-up fighters struggle against guys with good ground game and a decent takedown. surely hughes could see this stylistic nightmare.

• Brian Everhart says:

everyone really hates hughes, huh. wow….from what I see on the show, Serra is more annoying to me. Hughes is pretty laid back. Didn’t GSP make some excuses about not training hard for his fight w/ Serra?!?!?

And you can tell that Hughes is a dick next from a 2 second clip on the preview?!?! I can tell you are objective.

• Adam Morgan says:

I never claimed to be objective. I just can’t stand Hughes.

• Big D D says:

will someone please write an article about what kind of things tuf needs to do to improve. I mean the show is what it is. Would you rather a trio of dudes putting on make-up and goofy clothes driving around annoying the fighters that they pick up—oops sorry that is already a show—my bad. But really what can Dana and the Brothers Fertitta do to make the show better?

• dizzle says:

I have to say that this season is heating up. I don’t agress with whoever wrote this article. As I know about 15 friends of mine who never even knew what UFC was until they watched TUF. They absolutely love it because this is actually REAL REALITY with no scripts. This isn’t the real world of fighting either.

also I have to say that Hughes wasn’t making excuses for himself…he DID NOT TRAIN TO 100% with his last 3 fights. look at how he fought and compare to his all of his other fights. He looked like he didn’t train at all before the fights. I like matt hughes has a fighter and more as a trainer…if u ask me hes way better than Serra. Matt Serra is a complete Dousche that has no heart. Look at how he treated his team when they all watched UFC 72…he did nothing for his team. Matt hughes treats his team like family which is what good coaches do! I can’t wait to see Hughes break Serra’s neck at the end of the season…hell I bet dorian will break his neck after he finish the camera crew.

at last with my rant…joe made the right choice for himself. He didn’t want to be in the house…SO FUCKIN WHAT?!?!? Why make a big deal over it? The guy doens’t want to fight anymore…he wants to be a trainer! NOTHING IS WRONG WITH THAT GET OFF THE GUYS FUCKIN NUTS WOULD YA?

• Adam Morgan says:

Fightlinker has some excellent ideas about how to improve TUF:

• Adam Morgan says:

Dizzle –

Give Scarola a break? He just ruined his chances of A) being a trainer with Serra in NYC and B) being in the UFC. I’d say he fucked up royally. Good riddance to bad rubbish.

As for the show being “real reality,” there’s no such thing. Television is television. This isn’t reality in any manner, no matter which way you cut it.

• sddsff says:

Would it be possible to have someone with a bit more intelligence recap these episodes?

• Thorazine says:

Everyone and their mother’s told Joey what would happen, he’s seen previous shows, he knows what happens, even goofed on guys that quit. Promised Serra he would not quit, asking Dana for 3 yrs to go on ultimate fighter, now he knows he’s going to lose his job at Serra’s gym, seriously, what a head case. Go see a psychiatrist, get on some anti-D’s, and find another career, this one is wasted, no one in a combatant sport will ever give him respect and he’s not the type of guy to go back and earn it somewhere else.

Joey didn’t have to fight anymore, all he had to do was stay in the house for a few more weeks, quit crying, help Serra coach and then when the show was over, quit MMA and respectably go back to teaching jujitsu as a man that gave it a decent shot, how hard would that have been? What a immature child (29yrs old?). At this point it’s not about being an MMA fighter it’s about being a man and living up to your obligation and backing your friend and team.

I feel mostly bad for Matt Serra, he made a bad choice for a friend, stuck to his beliefs (right or wrong) and picked him 1st to save him from Matt Hughes, he practically beg Joey to stay, he let him down. Joey was selfish and wasn’t a friend that would back Serra up when he needed or asked for his help. It wasn’t like Serra was asking for a lot. Serra has a lot with to contend with on and after the show, and what happened with Joey was the worst case scenerio for Serra.

Was anyone else creeped out by the weight cutting process?
    That big bald guy is un-nerving.

“I don’t have the energy to wrestle coach”
    “We’re not wrestling, we’re just…doing this.”

LOL! ..very suspect.

Down 1-2, watch the devil come out in Matt and workouts turn into a demented torture chamber for the weak.. Hallajueh! I hope he quotes bible scripter in his workouts from hell. lol…

• Iain Morrison says:

Adam,
    Your one sided views on Hughes is getting very boring – especially when you don’t even know the man!!! It’s like me saying you and Joe Scarola have the same attitude, all your doing is Bitching winging and complaining but I don’t know you so there is a chance I could be wrong… And to say that the sport has passed him, lets not forget he is 9 TIMES WORLD CHAMP, how many times have YOU won the championship – what’s that you say…… your just a reviewer.
    “Those who can, do. Those who can’t, (Adam Morgan) Review”
    Adam if your going to continue writing Crap your going to continue loosing readers.
    Have an outstanding day, Dick,
    Iain

• Adam Morgan says:

I didn’t realize so many Hughes nuthuggers visited this site. Nor was I aware that this blog is a PR firm for Hughes, Scarola, or the UFC in general.

Spare me your “keyboard warrior” blasts. I’ve heard them all.

My writing is OPINION based. It’s unreal how many people don’t get this. My opinion of Hughes hasn’t changed since the first time I ever saw him fight or the first time he ever did an interview.

Let’s not forget this is the same guy who had “optional” bible study before practice.

If you don’t like the recaps, don’t read them. If you don’t like what I write, don’t read it. Visit a more “friendly” blog.

• Sam_Cupitt says:

God damn im sick of that whole “How can you review something if you havent done it” shit. Its just something the over sensitive come out with when they accidentally go to a website not protected by the family filter.

And also that wasnt even that deflammatory to Hughes anyway, he bags people for finding excuses after they lost, and now hes trying to get away with it for GSP, someone has to slap that bitch back in line.

And why are you even going round reviewing MMA related articles when 99.999% of them arent written by actual fighters, so to you, they shoud already be against your moral fibre (“How can he know he threw a leg lick, he’s never thrown one”)

Ugh.

• Jim says:

I’m going to pass on future Adam writings.