UFC 78: Rashad Evans vs. Michael Bisping officially announced

ufc_78_bisping_hamill
The UFC has announced through its official website
that Rashad Evans (15-0-1) will be fighting Michael Bisping (15-0) at UFC 78 on Nov. 17 in Newark, NJ.

It had been anticipated that Bisping’s and Evans’ next fights would both be rematches. UFC president Dana White indicated after Bisping’s controversial decision victory over Matt Hamill at UFC 75 in early September that he was working on a rematch. White also said that Evans would rematch Tito Ortiz soon after their draw at UFC 73 in July.

The website has indicated that eight other matches will be announced but made no mention as to whether Bisping vs. Evans will be signed as the card’s main event.

Matches between Karo Parisyan vs. George Lombard, Frankie Edgar vs. Spencer Fisher, Ryo Chonan vs. Thiago Alves, David Terrell vs. Ed Herman, Akihiro Gono vs. Tamdan McCrory, and Joe Lauzon vs. Jason Reinhardt are expected to be officially announced for UFC 78.

• Tanner says:

Sam, I know you think that 78 is ok, and I wa sone of the guys bitching. Whats your take on it with this being the main event?

• Mr. Takedown says:

This is Dana’s move to f@ck over Tito. Dana White always comes out on top.

• Tanner says:

I don’t know about anyone else but I just got a newsletter that says in the title: Main Event signed for Newark. and then it shows Bisping and Evans. Wow….

• Ryder Die says:

Im glad because I was getting tired of hearing about the Boring rematches. I want to see a rematch between Hammill and Bisping and Evans Ortiz about as much as I want a hole in the head. This is a good match up with Evans winning.

• Adam Morgan says:

This is the worst main event in history. Maybe even worse than Franklin/Okami. This is FIGHT NIGHT material, guys. The UFC only puts top fighters against one another when they feel like it.

Rashad, TKO, R2. What a terrible main event.

• Dan Cruickshank says:

@ Adam Morgan

This is the worst main event ever. At least Rich Franklin is a main event caliber fighter. Neither Evans nor Bisping are.

That honestly isn’t even an undercard match I’d care too much to see. Bisping’s next fight should be against Matt Hamill. This takes heat away from that rematch should it ever occur, not mention how much it will damage the match if Bisping loses.

What’s worse, this match means -nothing-. The winner of this is in contention for absolutely nothing. It’s not a number #1 contenders match, it’s a match to see who Dean Lister is fighting next. No offence to Dean, I just had to pick a name.

I know they won’t cancel the PPV and load up the November card, but this PPV is really undermining the value of the UFC.

• Aidan742 says:

Stricken with grief by this main event, I have no choice but to turn to lethal toxins.

Goodbye lord.

• mcanena says:

I think this is gonna be a great fight,enough with all this whining like spoiled American children!!