Exclusive: Rothwell out of 2007 IFL World Grand Prix

FiveOuncesOfPain.com and ProElite.com has learned that Ben Rothwell will not be competing in the 2007 IFL World Grand Prix on Nov. 3 in Chicago, IL at the Sears Center.

Rothwell is one of several changes to the World Grand Prix lineup.

Complete details regarding Rothwell being pulled from the WGP in addition to several other changes to the WGP can be accessed through my ProElite.com blog by clicking here.

• dizzle says:

Have they pinpointed a true Satellite channel for this event? Everytime IFL comes on DirectTV they have it on a different channel.

• jjdnb says:

no one wants to read your stupid blog on proelite.com.

• Sam Caplan says:

You’ve been nominated by the world to speak on the behalf of everyone? Man, you must be awesome.

• drewdoodoo says:

Seems like Rothwell leaving was just a matter of time. Eventually he was going to go for bigger money and a bigger organization.

On another note Sam, the best thing about having your own site/blog is that you can put whatever you want on it. The best thing about reading a blog is that you don’t have to if you don’t want to. So you keep posting whatever you want, jjdnb can stop reading it, and everyone will be happy.

• Jeremy says:

Wow, that’s kind of disappointing to see. Hopefully this doesn’t become a trend for the Grand Prix. Guys won’t sign contracts continuing til next season so the IFL won’t let them fight in the GP. Kind of discouraging when this is one of their higher anticipated events of the year.

• Brent says:

I enjoyed your stupid blog on proelite.com!

• Andrej says:

Does anyone care if the IFL fold’s?, Team concept suck for MMA. Team’s vs Team’s just is to odd for me. I like the fighter’s in the IFL but I don’t like the rule’s. Hopefully they make believer’s out of people. I hope Ben Rothwell sign’s with HCF in Calgary, Canada so I can see a good card.

• Sam Caplan says:

I care.

The team concept grew on me. Do I prefer the traditional concept? Yes. But do I also enjoy the IFL’s brand? Absolutely. Since they changed production companies in July the show has improved by leaps and bounds and the IFL has a lot of great fighters on their roster.

I think the more MMA that’s out there, the better. If you don’t like something, you have the option of not watching. But wouldn’t you prefer to at least have an option? I don’t understand why so many people want to see the IFL fail, as if their life would somehow be enriched if it went away? If you don’t like it, don’t watch it but hopefully it sticks around so that the people who do enjoy watching it have an alternative.

The IFL has some good people behind it and their roster keeps getting better. As a journalist, I want as many promotions out there to cover as possible. As someone who trains amateur MMA and has friends that fight pro, I want as many paid fighter jobs out there as possible. The IFL has done right by its fighters.

Also, for someone of Jay Larkin’s stature and background to join the IFL on a full-time basis speaks volume. Might the IFL business model change? Possibly. Might their be a merger or acquisition down the line? I believe that’s a strong possibility (and that’s not based on inside info, just an semi-educated prediction).

The bottom line is that the IFL isn’t going to just vanish into thin air no matter how much a handful of people would like it to.

• […] Caplan reports on his Five Ounces of Pain and his new blog at proelite.com that Ben Rothwell and Mike Whitehead have been pulled from the […]

• ted dibiase says:

just another reason the IFL blows donkey balls

please dont ever use this blog site as a way to up your hits on pro-elite. thats cheap

• bubbafat says:

keep hope alive Sam. I’m a UFC fanatic, not a diehard watcher of the IFL, but that doesn’t mean I want to see them fail. I appreciate the team format simply because that’s what this game is about. Nobody gets anywhere without a team. The guys walking behind that UFC fighter entering the arena are his team mates. So the format doesn’t really change at all. The IFL just promotes it(unlike D.W.).
    Having said that, now that Rothwell has left, and Ricco is in there now, I’ll probably watch it less.

• Jeremy says:

I have personally always enjoyed watching the IFL fights. The team concept never grew on me, but that didn’t really matter to me. I just wanted to see the fights and fighters. As far as I am concerned they have done a good job when I have watched and I do hope they stick around. They do a very good job of bringing in young, unknown talent and getting them good competition and exposure for their careers.

And if it’s MMA I’ll pretty much watch everything.

• Davey D says:

I have no problem with the IFL being around. It’s only helping the sport of MMA. The word on the street is they treat their fighter’s well and that’s good.

I think the IFL brand is great for up and comers; the team concept is cool too because it reflect’s how important it is for MMA fighter’s to stick together as a team. Sure, it’s two people fighting each match but they’ve got their whole team (and hometown for one team) backing them up.

With Bas Rutten, Stephan Quadros, smoking hot Tiffany Fallon and everything else with that comes with the show. I’d say they could have something big on their hands here. I would like to see a team represent Detroit, Michigan in the future. Dan Severn could set one up???