Hackleman: It looks like they’re going to do the Wanderlei fight in Dec.

john_hacklemanWhile it’s far from official, rumors of a match between Chuck Liddell and Wanderlei Silva at UFC 79 on Dec. 29 won’t die. In fact, Liddell’s long-time trainer John Hackleman has thrown additional fuel on the fire with comments made during a recent interview with FightHype.com:

Percy Crawford: Ohio. I know you’re getting ready to head in the gym. Thanks for your time.

John Hackleman: No problem. If you want to set something up with Chuck, let me know because it looks like they’re going to do the Wanderlei fight in December.

Click here to read the entire interview.

The more I think about it, the more I believe we’re going to see it because how many other options do they have at light heavyweight for UFC 79? Liddell vs. Dan Henderson is about the only other option I can think of.

Check out all UFC 79 content on 5 Oz of Pain.

• garth says:

can’t believe it til i see a contract.

i’ve waited too damn long for this fight.

• garth says:

but let me be clear: Wheeeee!

• steve24 says:

Yahooo.

• Evan says:

We shall see…

… but I can’t fathom them not doing it….

• steve24 says:

Maybe Dana White realizes that Serra vs. Hughes is not that big of a main event and needs to throw this fight in the mix for to break PPV records.

Sam, and you were all upset on Mr. Sunshine saying well never get to see this fight. It makes more sense now than ever. I still won’t be surprised if this fight never happens. Maybe they will make an announcement at 77.

• Adam Morgan says:

‘Bout time.

• dizzle says:

I’m not holding my breath. All of us HUGE MMA FANS have been waiting for this fight for too long. For me it’s been TOO long of a wait. If the fight happens I’m going to say the fight will probably go to Silva.

• steve24 says:

The UFC wants Chuck back on top with the belt. Chuck sells PPV and they know that. He has become a house hold name. Chuck beating Wanderlei is the quickest way back to the title coming off 2 loses.

• dizzle says:

Chuck has been sold to the new MMA Fans as the biggest and baddest Light HeavyWeight in the business. But NOW with all these fighters coming out of Pride they’re now introduced to some of the other best fighters in the world. I’m glad they are trying to make this dream-match happen. What UFC really needs is a card that is full of headline fighters that go along with the lidell vs silva fight.

• Anton K says:

Does anyone really think Chuck can win?

• PrideUFCfan says:

Chuck can win with a knockout…just as he has done so many times before. Two losses has not changed this fact. Silva, too, can knock people out but not as decisively. Wandy is a more well-rounded fighter, in my opinion, but must avoid the one shot that will end all of the hype…once and for all. I would put my money on Silva to win if the fight does take place. I like both fighters and I want this fight to happen…yesterday.

• dizzle says:

Silva just needs to have his head on straight during the match and not allow Chuck to take control of the fight.