Kurt Otto confirms talks with Kurt Angle

In a new piece over at MMA Weekly, Kurt Otto confirms that Olympic gold medalist and pro-wrestling star, Kurt Angle, could be headed to the IFL very soon:

IFL commissioner Kurt Otto likes the idea of Angle coming into the league. He confirmed to MMAWeekly that contract negotiations are under way.

“I’m psyched. He’s pretty open about it, which is good. We’re in talks. We’re excited about the opportunity.”

While Angle has flirted with a number of organizations, Otto feels confident as to why he may land in the IFL.

“Kurt Angle really wants to come on board. He wants to learn MMA and he wants to come to the IFL specifically because of the team format because he’s used to that.”

“God willing, the IFL and myself can make a deal,” Angle told Alex Marvez of FOXSports.com recently. “The best fit for me right now as a pro wrestler who [works] about 120 times a year is the IFL.”

I’m a bit confused by the last statement. Does this mean he will continue his pro wrestling career along with his newfound MMA career? I don’t know about you, but this doesn’t sound like the smartest thing in the world. It’s well documented the neck and head injuries that Angle has suffered in the past. I think that’s one of the big reasons the UFC had no interest in him. But continuing to wrestle and put your body through that and then also compete in mixed martial arts? That’s a very tall task.

Automatically, however, Angle would bring serious star power to the IFL if he ends up there. He’d also be the most decorated amateur wrestler ever to step into the mixed martial arts arena, which is another big thing for the IFL, who has put a focus on bringing wrestlers into their organization and making them MMA fighters. I hope the IFL gets the deal done, because I think it’s the right fit for Angle if he’s going to venture into MMA.

If he’s serious about the sport, though, he might want to think about cutting his pro-wrestling schedule down, if not out all together.

• Schlegel says:

I totally agree with u Morgan. Angle would be huuge for the IFL, whose financial struggles are well documented. I know it will have me watching! The one thing I worry about is the added association with steroids when you are talking abouta pro wrestler. I don’t want it to sound like I am accusing Angle at all, because like Morgan said he is the most decorated wrestler MMA has ever seen, so we know the work ethic is there. It just popped in my head, but I guess MMA already has a problem with steroid use anyway. Either way I am very interested in seeing Angle in MMA. I am also watching Brock Lesnar to see how he transitions. I have always thought Pro Wrestlers were extremely tough and sometimes got a bum wrap since the outcomes are pre-decided. I can’t wait, Go Angle! ps, what weight class will he fight at? 205 or heavyweight?

• steve24 says:

LOL, he doesn’t know MMA but is already talking to MMA organizations.

• ted dibiase says:

i cant see this happening.

• Dave says:

The UFC didn’t pursue Angle because he wanted to compete in pro wrestling at the same time, which in Dana’s mind is a disastrous message to send to a growing MMA audience.

I’d also have to think that Angle would be asking for a ludicrous contract.

• Johnny P. says:

Stop it! That’s what i wanna yell at Kurt Angle. As someone who grew to love MMA through pro wrestling, Angle is being a typical old school wrestler who enjoys the nonsense tactic of “working” the fans to get people talking. Except, this is the real world, and you’re lying. Angle likes to sit around with people like Bubba the Love Sponge and Terry “Hulk Hogan” Bollea and make up the most ridiculous statements because no one around them will disagree, and it’s ingrained in wrestlers that they are smarter then fans if they say anything and someone simply nods. They’re “marks”.

The problem is Angle is embarrassing himself. For those of you who don’t know or don’t care about Angle and pro wrestling, know that those of us who follow more then what’s just on TV cringe at him to. Crazy old Vince McMahon even had a moment of lucidity when he realized Angle was badly damaged goods and might die on his watch. So he fired him (Angle swears he quit his million dollar job) and so began the public descent. Angle has talked about MMA for almost two years now. He has never even began basic stand-up training with any major camp (unless the YMCA counts). He was an Olympic champion almost 12 years ago, which is several lifetimes in MMA, and has a badly damaged body. His marketability took a serious hit when WWE let him go, and just last week a “clean” Kurt Angle was arrested for DUI and found at his home by police with what they reported as pills in his mouth. Angle is a troubled man, and not someone who will be making an impact in an MMA promotion near you.

Finally, he’s a discredit to wrestling (yeah, I know, make your jokes) for his behavior over the last year. Many wrestlers know and understand you can’t wrestle at the same time you fight MMA. The tendencies of a worked match and a shoot are the opposite. Honestly, Dave Meltzer should punch Kurt Angle in his broken neck for making his life difficult. When Meltzer shows up to report on the big UFC in Vegas, he’s gotta go down press row being bothered by snide sports reporters asking him about the wrestler who says he’ll kill Randy Couture because Couture wasn’t an Olympic Champion in 1996.

• dizzle says: