twitter google

Henderson claims the UFC is trying to make cutbacks

In Steve Sievert’s latest “MMA Notebook” on the Houston Chronicle website, PRIDE welterweight champion Dan Henderson is the latest fighter to speak out against the UFC’s negotiation practices when it comes to compensation:

Couture is not alone when it comes to being dissatisfied with how the UFC doles out dollars. Light heavyweight Dan Henderson, who was in Houston on Saturday to conduct a clinic at Miletich Fighting Systems, says dealing with the UFC on compensation and contracts is challenging and not as easy as previous negotiations with Pride Fighting Championships.

“It seems like guys could be happier,” Henderson said. “Part of the problem is that they had a couple, three bad shows and got killed in Ireland (at UFC 72) on the money. And, possibly the fact that they spent a boatload of money buying Pride and didn’t do anything with it; they are trying to make some cutbacks, and the fighters aren’t overly happy about that.”

It’s very interesting to hear Henderson make the claim that the UFC is trying to make cutbacks.

Henderson also reiterated what had been reported in a previous article by Sievert that he  had recently turned down a extension offer by the UFC:

Despite assurances from White that he would be taken care of in the UFC, Henderson is waiting for what he thinks is an equitable offer.

“He was telling me that, ‘We haven’t had guys leaving. We take care of the guys, that’s why they’re happy. We don’t want guys that are unhappy,’ ” Henderson said about initial negotiations with White. “I haven’t seen that.”

With M-1 slated to expand their global operations, it will be interesting to see whether the UFC extends a second offer to Henderson that is more lucrative than their first. It is probably safe to make the assumption that M-1 and several of the UFC’s other competitors would have a keen interest in Henderson.

To ready the entire article, click here.