Arona denies M-1 reports in new interview

MMANews.com has posted a translated excerpt of an interview that Ricardo Arona conducted with Brazilian MMA website and magazine, Tatame.

During the interview, Arona denies reports that he’s signed with M-1 for a potential fight with Fedor Emelianenko in December:

“I have not signed anything with M-1. I’ve heard rumors about it but no offer to fight against Fedor. To be honest I never heard of this event. I’ve gotten a few offers from the U.S., Canada and Japan, but I’m still weighing in my options before I sign. I’ll probably have a contract to fight in December.”

• [...] of Sean Connery, a Xyience taste test, our UFC77 preview, and several items of random news that may already be obsolete. Damned MMA, slow down for a second. We also talk about how depressing it’s been to be a fan [...]

• The M-1 rumor mill is getting outrageously bad. New rumor now is Shane McMahon, Vince’s son, bought M-1 and has somehow scheduled Ken Shamrock vs. Fedor Emelianenko. It’s so unbearably laughable. Bad part is, some radio show called KO Radio with Randy Harris apparently is still saying this is true.

• Sam Caplan says:

I can tell you with complete certainty that those two rumors are false.

• Oh, I know they are false. Ken Shamrock vs. Fedor Emelianenko? I think I would have the gurnee next to the ring ready.

I’m sure you probably know the details, Sam, but aren’t disclosing them to us. But, that’s a journalist’s life.

• Sam Caplan says:

Well, the WWE rumors are completely unbelievable to me but the Shamrock vs. Fedor rumors? Not as much. And here’s why: in the States, yes that match makes absolutely no sense. But in other parts of the world, I think it actually does make a little sense. PRIDE booked Fedor vs. Mark Coleman for a U.S. show, a match that I didn’t think made much sense but they apparently thought it did. When you start involving other cultures, things change.

• Shamrock has a lot of exposure in the U.S., a casual crowd may know who he is, but if they follow the UFC at all, they know he got trounced by Tito Ortiz on numerous occassions. Tito Ortiz is a big name in the U.S., to fans who don’t follow the sport religiously, he may still be “up there” in the rankings in their minds. It’s possible that Shamrock still has some standing with a U.S. market and possibly Russian fans who actually watch MMA. My understanding is that the Russian market is rather small.

Fedor vs. Coleman was odd. The first battle, although never in any real danger, Fedor did get moved around a lot, but transitionally, Coleman isn’t on the level that Fedor is. The second fight was atrocious. Coleman couldn’t take him down, couldn’t hit him, it was ugly. But putting Shamrock in there just to sell seats, ugh… Fedor by devastating ground and pound.

• Sam Caplan says:

Leland:

I’m in agreement with you that the match is far-fetched. My point is it’s hard to rule anything out when it comes to promotions that have an international base.

• Zack says:

I don’t think casual or hardcore fans will pony up the dough in any part of the world to watch Fedor fight a can anymore. If you compare it to boxing, people wanted to see Tyson crush cans, but Fedor doesn’t “crush” people – he arm bars them. Not exactly thrilling TV.

• Agreed. I was somewhat hoping the Arona rumor may have been true, I wouldn’t mind seeing that battle, although not exactly a big headliner. It’ll be interesting to see who M-1 digs up.

• dizzle says:

psh…i had a feeling that this Arona thing was a fake.

Has anyone heard any more news on Randleman signing with an Org?

• It was fake, he already confirmed that he did not sign. Vale Tudo News is not a good source, there was no internet source.

• Zack says:

Leland – I’m guessing it will be a “Who’s Who of 2002″ that will face Fedor in Russia…Rizzo…Randleman….Coleman…Insert Japanese Can Here…can you feel the excitement!

Does Sakuraba weigh too much for Fedor’s management? ;)

• dizzle says:

m-1 could perhaps be the next pride? are they fighting with or without a cage? I would hope to see no cage just because I like watching ring fights.

• LR says:

Probably a ring, since M-1 already uses a ring.

Zack, I’m guessing you are probably right. I almost laugh at the prospect of Ricco trying to give a go at it.

• paddiosf says:

I think Fedor made a mistake signing with M-1…Just like Comment#12 a bunch of “Over-The- Hill HW’s….

• dizzle says:

Paddiosf i think it’s not a mistake. I’m sure that his manager is going to allow him to do what he wants with the organization…and they will easily be able to make M-1 grow to be a great org. with the help of fedor marketing.