Iole: Winner of Vera/Sylvia to face Nogueira for title

According to Kevin Iole’s latest “Mailbag” article in the Yahoo! sports section, the winner of this Saturday’s match between Brandon Vera and Tim Sylvia will fight Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira for the vacant UFC heavyweight title in early 2008:

The winner of the Brandon Vera-Tim Sylvia fight on Saturday at UFC 77 in Cincinnati will meet Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira for the vacant heavyweight title sometime early next year.

• dizzle says:

are you kiddiing me? It’s going to be that easy. I don’t understand how if Sylvia wins this fight he automatically gets bumped up to fight for the title?!?! This is got to be a def. rumor because if anything you’d think that Kongo would have a chance for the title with his pervious wins. I really think this is false.

• hbdale309 says:

Poor Kongo. LOL

• Adam Morgan says:

Who called it, bitches?!

• dizzle says:

well either way i’m sure all of us know that Kongo isn’t ready for a title shot. He needs more groud improvement…

TOURNY!!!! LETS DO THIS!

• Accomando says:

Its not shocking to me.

I will say, Kongo did lose to Carmelo Marrero though, oh man, that was funny.

Maybe the worst fight in the history of the UFC.

• bubbafat says:

why is this so unbelievable? this fight was supposed to happen for the title last year anyways. Both these guys, regardless of Tims last performance and Brandon’s hiatus, are at the top of the food chain in the UFC. The UFC doesn’t like to do tourny’s anymore and I don’t see them changing that. A tournament gives them less control over who can be champ. In an eight man competition, not every fighter is as marketable as the other. It’s about exposure for the right guy for the UFC, not MMA. I gotta say though, Big Tim vs Big Nog or The Truth vs Minotauro are probably good money makers.

• gipper says:

makes sense to me…they can’t afford to have big nog lose like crocop did. put kongo against aa or gg and watch him get beat down. the hw division is still damn good.
    big nog, gg, aa, crocop, vera, sylvia, kongo, werdum and mir and herring i think still have something left.