UFC 77: the “Old Tim” is back

tim_sylvia

On the latest edition of AGS radio, the expert panel (myself and Sam included) debated which Tim Sylvia would show up to fight Brandon Vera – the dominating Sylvia from 2006 or the tentative version from early 2007?

Well “The Mainiac” himself answers that question with the following quote from the Canadian Press

“Being the fighter that I am, I’m not the type of guy that likes to go to a decision,” he added. “I’m not the kind of guy that likes to do ground and pound or submissions, I want to knock the guy out standing up.”

“Sylvia says he knows why he has heard boos at recent fights, blaming a change in strategy that took him away from his earlier free-swinging days.
Under former boxing coach Matt Pena, Sylvia said: “the game plans we put together (against Andrei Arlovski and Jeff Monson) were to go out there and win, at all costs, but do it safely.”

“Some of my last few fights haven’t been that exciting so I just hired a new boxing coach (Teddy Mueller). I’m doing a few different things and I think the old Tim’s back, the guy that went out there and knocked people out the first and second round. So I’m going to go out there and give it my best and try and knock Brandon out.”

The 31 yr old 6’8” monster has a strong fanbase that is ready for him to put on the type of performance that can lead to another UFC Heavyweight title.

HT: UFC Mania

• dizzle says:

Well I hope he doens’t expect to just knockout vera. I think if vera wins its going to be by submission. If Slyvia wins its going to be by a stopage in round 2 under 3 minutes.

• Evan says:

Hey Tim

Just so you know… those boos at the end of your last fight were because you brought up an injury as an excuse for your loss.

• ossBASHA says:

If the “Old Tim” is back, the Old Tim will be losing…

• pr0cs says:

Timmeh is going to have to put on several “commanding” performances to erase the horrible memories in fans minds about his last fights. A lot of people consider Tim the reason why the HW division was so boring, mostly because he seemed to do anything to “win” but not decisively. The only way I can see him regaining lost fans is to fight and leave the winner decision out of the judges hands (ala KO).
    I’m looking forward to this fight on Saturday, both guys are going to have a LOT to prove and I imagine with the turmoil in the HW division with Couture gone they’ll both be looking to make a huge statement about where they want to stand for the vacant belt.

• Ben Fowlkes says:

I’m encouraged to hear that Sylvia is going to come after Brandon Vera. Not because I think it’s the best way for him to win that fight (I believe the opposite is true), but because at least it should be entertaining to watch.

• Adam Morgan says:

Changing boxing coaches? Not a good idea, imo.

He won all of his last fights, with the exception of the Randy fight, with the same boxing coach. If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

• Luke says:

Timmy is going to give Vera a much stronger fight than people give him credit. I’m not saying he’s going to run away with it or even win, but I expect a bloody war out of this.

• Brent says:

“…those boos at the end of your last fight were because you brought up an injury as an excuse for your loss.”

He took Couture to a 5 round decision with an injury so severe he had to have some vertebrae fused after the fight – I don’t doubt it affected the fight – and Randy knew about the injury before begging Joe Silva for the match…

Draw your own conclusions.

• Evan says:

Brent

Yes I am sure it affected his fight, no doubt. Nobody denies that. But how many times have you heard fighters and athletes say something along the lines of “if you are injured you didn’t train hard enough”

Fans simply don’t like it when an athelete in any sport uses injury as an excuse for a loss. Plain and simple. And he pulled that card pretty fast right after the fight.

Thats why he got bood at his last fight.

• ossBASHA says:

It’s his own fault that he faught injured, not Randy’s. If you’re injured, don’t fight… plain and simple.

• drewdoodoo says:

Why hasn’t anyone said, “webbed feet” yet? Or did they fix that with surgery too?

• dizzle says:

does he have webbed feet though? If so he should invest more time into schrinized swimming.

• Accomando says:

Yes, I expect to see “Old Tim”

He is a swamp thing, and thier life spans are only 1/3 the length of regular humans.

I an all seriousness, he doesn’t look like he has or will age well.