Talk about a public relations nightmare

melvincosta.jpg

Hat’s off to Fight Linker for coming across the above image and calling it to the public’s attention.

The image you are seeing above is believed to be of fighter Melvin Costa and that is indeed a swastika on his chest. I’m not even going to comment on the tattoo on his stomach.

According to Sherdog’s fight finder, Costa is 4-0 with all four fights having taken place in the last six months. He’s fought as recently as Oct. 7.

Do I know for a fact that Costa is a racist? No, I’ve never met the man and had a conversation about his thought on race relations in America but why else would someone have a tattoo of a swastika on their chest?

Free speech is protected in the United States under the first amendment of the constitution so Costa is entitled to his opinion, no matter how ignorant it might be. However, King of the Cage is now owned by ProElite, Inc. , which is a publicly traded company. A company has to be held accountable for the actions of their employees and the manner in which they represent the company. For PE to choose someone with a neo-nazi tattoo on his chest to represent them is both inexcusable and unacceptable.

Hopefully PE will respond to the massive amount of e-mail it’s receiving and choose not to allow Costa to continue to represent its company while also issuing a statement denouncing what his tattoo represents.

• Accomando says:

Hllarious, sherdog had a thread about this idiot yesterday.

Surprisingly, many of the people actually put some thought into the subject.

Conclusions:

1) The guy is a complete dipshit.

2) He “used” to be a “Nazi”

People brought up how Doug Marshall, has a “peckerwood” tattoo on his stomach, which a white California prison gang. Supposedly, Marshall has turned his life around. There are others in MMA with WP tattoo’s and connections as well.

3) This is America, you are allowed to look as stupid as you want.

Funny to me how the Swatika is so detested, as it should be, yet the Sickle and Hammer that Jeff Monson has totooed prominantly on his body leaves people emotionless. Shows how bad everyone is at history.

(Stalin murdered over 10’s of millions in Russia behind the guise of that image Monson so proudly sports, techinically he murdered more way people Hitler.)

The Sickle and Hammer is repsonsible for more death than the Swastika, they should both be deemed irresponsible and evil.

This guy is some loser with 4 fights and everyone is shocked, Monson fought for the UFC title, and no one said shit about Monson.

People are hypocrites and they don’t even know it, pathetic, just like that loser with the Nazi tattoo.

• Yup, there is a nice long thread on Sherdog with lots of “great” history lessons. This one is much better. :)

• dizzle says:

4.) He has a small penis….thats what it says on his stomach.

small man syndrom

• jaydog says:

I’d like to take Acomando’s point a step further. Not only should tattoos of German National Socialist Party logos and Russian Communist Party slogans be banned, but also American flag tattoos should be prohibited. Why, because no country in the world has killed more innocent civilians than the US (despite our relative youth as a 400 year old country). In fact, any country that has ever flexed it’s military might should be disavowed by every MMA fighter. Why? Because there is no room for violence in MMA, only non-violence. No, priciples, politcs and personal opinions don’t matter during a fight. Sure, nation states are supposed to adhere to rules of combat similar to the UFC’s unified rules, but as Tito says, “if you don’t cheat, you’re not really trying.” My country is the biggest proliferator of WMDs while committing genocide in an effort to root out other country’s WMDs. We condemn chemical weapons, but we lead the world in nasty Agent Orange and depleted uranium dirty bomb weapons.

Personally, I don’t care what these fighter’s political affiliation is. But if I did, I think the extra layer that it adds to a fighter’s persona and makes the sport more interesting. What about Nick Diaz? Promoting drugs (and organic produce) so all the impressionable youngsters will follow in his footsteps to become talented burnouts like him. Um… no. Let’s not look at Nick, let’s look at the many many fighters who love to go on and on about religion whenever they win a fight. For some reason, in our country founded on religious freedom, the fans to not shower MMA’s hypocritically violent crusaders for Christ with boos. However, I’ll bet they would rain down disapproval on a fighter who uses his fights to promote racial hatred. So, why not let this Costa come and get his just deserts. His tattoo is in poor taste and he’ll hear about it even if he wins his fights. In the meantime, let’s get back to embracing the freedom that allows us to express our opinions, disagree, and love the physical test that is MMA.

• Brent says:

I’ve never spoken to this particular guy, but trust me – there are plenty of white power/sex offender/inbred retard fighters at every level in the various orgs – they just aren’t advertising it on their chest.

• ossBASHA says:

Hats off to Accomando and jaydog!!

• Accomando says:

“…Why, because no country in the world has killed more innocent civilians than the US (despite our relative youth as a 400 year old country)…”

You are bad at history and math.

1776 – 2007 = 400 years?

Sorry, Nazi’s, Soviets and the British have us beat.

I am not trying to argue that the U.S. is innocent, which it isn’t, but you are inaccurate with that statement.

• Captain says:

Too much preaching here.

I don’t care if a fighter’s been inked with a swastika, peckerwood, sickle and hammer, american flag, pot leaf, or whatever. They are just people and people get tattoos that they end up regretting every day. If they really do regret the tats I am sure they will have them removed when they start getting paid enough to do so.

Now, as for promoters needing to distance themselves from fighters with offensive tattoos, I don’t think that’s their job. Just because your org has a fighter under contract who has an offensive tattoo on their body does not mean that your org supports the meaning behind that tattoo. Giving said fighter air time in a pre-fight interview to preach their beliefs would be entirely different. It would also be a different story if said fighter was getting arrested for race related crimes or seen as a figurehead for some kind of racist cause. Until such facts come to be public, it’s just a tattoo and neither we nor the promoters know the full story behind it and what it means to the fighter. Like I said, people get tattoos they end up regretting all the time, and if a fighter has an offensive tatto they regret having and recognize as a mistake, then why would you punish them for their past?

Overall, people need to get off their high horses about this and other similiar issues. Take time and realize we don’t know the full story and there are bigger things going on in MMA and the world.

• Accomando says:

“…I’ll bet they would rain down disapproval on a fighter who uses his fights to promote racial hatred. So, why not let this Costa come and get his just deserts. His tattoo is in poor taste and he’ll hear about it even if he wins his fights…”

You are dead on here.

• Anybody defending this nazi is a freaking idiot. Yes, free speech permits him to have a swastika on his chest. But ProElite’s free speech allows them to say that’s fucking retarded and Nazis have no place in their organization.

You guys are so busy standing up for his free speech that you’re forgetting to exercise your own. Anyone who is silent in the face of fascism is just as complicit as the fascists themselves. Fucking stand up for what’s right.

• Sam Caplan says:

I’m in word-for-word agreement with everything Linker just said.

• A Lynch says:

In response to the posts above I would just like to add a few words. I don’t wish to suppress anyone’s freedom of speech, fighters can have anything they want tattooed on their bodies. However, they have to take responsibility for those symbols. Costa can keep the swastika on his chest, I just refuse to believe that ProElite wants to have that symbol on a representative of their company. There are consequences for what you say and do, Costa may find out the hard way if no company wants him to fight.

This is not about the body counts behind symbols, it’s about a symbol that has no other purpose then to promote hate and suffering.
    I urge everyone to e-mail ProElite and ask them why their company promotes hatred.

• A Lynch says:

Right on Fightlinker.

• Mike says:

That Nazi sign is also signifies a peace sign in another culture.

• Ben Fowlkes says:

That guy couldn’t have gone into a career that doesn’t require removing one’s shirt? Seriously.

• Captain says:

There’s a lot of self-righteousness in here when I don’t think anybody knows the full story. Can anyone confirm that homeboy is still a neo-nazi white supremecist? If not, then how do we know he has not disavowed that part of his life.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying I support him being a neo-nazi. I’m saying let’s get the facts straight before we form a lynchmob like a bunch of sheep. The groupthink in here is astounding.

• Accomando says:

“…Anyone who is silent in the face of fascism is just as complicit as the fascists themselves. Fucking stand up for what’s right…”

You are dead on. The rise of Fascism is a current problem.

There is a fascist-like movement on the rise inside many of the countries of the world guised as a religious movement, and the FREE WORLD is pretty much silient about it.

“Israel should be wiped off the map”

“The holocaust numbers were inflated”

“Homosexuality is a western phenomenon”

Find out who said these words.

This is the kind of “fascist” person we need to be worrying about, not some broke ass, no power having, white-trash loser with 4 fights in a lower tier organization named Melvin Costa.

Again Linker, only if you are so concerned with actual “Fascism”

• jaydog says:

I say let him fight. If he’s any good at MMA, he’ll realize that whatever caused him to get that tattoo is holding him back from enjoying public support. Then, he’ll publicly recant his old beliefs, have the tattoo covered up, and racism will suffer a public defeat that will serve as a lesson that will echo through the media outlets. That’s much more valuable than a corporate decision that pushes this guy’s dumb ideas to the margins where they’ll quietly thrive. Instead, bring the racist into the light and let him suffer the scrutiny. Trust me, white power ideas fade really quickly when they aren’t enflamed by rhetoric and posturing. Sure, it’s ProElite’s right to employ whoever they want or don’t want to endorse. But, employment is not an endorsement, it’s an opportunity to clarify that ProElite employs talented fighters regardless of race or creed, and obviously doesn’t share Costa’s ridiculous Nazi identification. Weren’t there great boxing matches between African-American fighters and nazis? Let’s let this stuff play out in public rather than sweeping it under the rug.

• dizzle says:

maybe he’s a reborn christian now? HAHA I DOUBT IT!

• garth says:

the “swastikas are good luck symbols” is a retarded fucking thing to say. sure, maybe a swastika built into the floor of some monastery in timbukfuckingtu is a symbol for whatever. but a crooked cross in the base of a fucking rampant eagle is a nazi symbol. a symbol of the supporters of neo-nazism, racial war, etc.

So fuck that “it’s a good luck symbol” talk.

acommando: the “wiped off the map” comment never happened. it was a mistranslated piece from a Farsi speech. I’m not saying Ahmedinejad isn’t a jackass, I can’t stand that guy, but he’s really just the monkey on the string in Iran…the religious heads control that country. all the yelling at the figurehead would be funny if it wasn’t so damn dangerously stupid.

• Accomando says:

“…acommando: the “wiped off the map” comment never happened. it was a mistranslated piece from a Farsi speech…”

Technically true, and he was quoting the old ayatollah and actually said…

“…this regime occupying Jerusalem must vanish from the page of time…”

Much nicer, isn’t it?

• Zack says:

word to fightlinker

• Sarah Aswell says:

OF COURSE let him fight. he has the freedom to put whatever he wants on his body, and we have the freedom to HATE him for it.

i just hope they have the sense to throw him to someone who will make him regret not only the tattoo but also his decision to become a fighter.

• Sam Caplan says:

“what a perfect, pre-packaged heel pro elite has on their hands – and i’m sure they must know it.”

• Smithee says:

“Sarah, in case you haven’t noticed, it’s mixed martial arts, not pro wrestling.”

You’d better tell Rampage. His shtick looks a lot like that of The Junkyard Dog.

And how about addressing the question in comment number one: why no complaint about Monson’s hammer and sickle?

Smithee:

My response to #1 is exactly what #10 said.

But if you really want me to elaborate my additional response is that we’re not talking about anything else here but Melvin Costa and his tattoo of a swastika. I’m not going to allow anyone to skirt the issue. Not to mention, the hammer and sickle appears on the Russian national flag. Last time I checked, the swastika is currently not featured on the German national flag.

• Sarah Aswell says:

hi sam

I didn’t mean offense (and have never understood the appeal of pro wrestling) but you have to admit that MMA (and all one-on-one sports) benefits from having “good guys” and “bad guys.” whether it’s a good thing or a bad thing, boring fighters are not going to get as far as fighters with personalities — whether real or staged — personalities that people can attach emotions and opinions to. we’ve seen boring fighers with talent not make it as far as we’d like, just as we’ve seen side-show fighters get farther than we’d like.

you don’t think a fighter with a swastika is going to sell tickets, for whatever reasons? And get lots of media coverage (like this article) for their company?

• Ben Fowlkes says:

“Pre-packaged heel? Sarah, in case you haven’t noticed, it’s mixed martial arts, not pro wrestling.”

Are we seriously going to pretend there aren’t faces and heels in the world of MMA? And the Russian national flag doesn’t have a hammer and sickle. That was the old USSR flag. Just saying.

• c-ing_red says:

So then Pro-Elite should say bye-bye to Nick Diaz also? Or anyone that is controversial? The only difference is the level of tolerance. But it is all relative……So I guess if you don’t support Veganism, you should tell Mac Danzig to take a hike. Hasn’t the Animal Liberation front been involved in more than their share of controversy?

• Sam Caplan says:

Ben – Sorry, I’ve yet to familiarize myself with the Russian national flag. My mistake there.

Sarah – You’re preaching to the choir when it comes to fighters showing more of their personality but I think I draw the line when it comes to using racism as a marketing tool. Maybe Vince McMahon would do something like that, but this is a sport that is trying to build legitimacy.

• Rampage = The Junkyard Dog, lolz. Can we get a LHWT match with Hacksaw Jim Duggan?

Why not just interview Costa and post it here? It would be more informative than the thread above albeit likely less intelligent and entertaining.

• Sam Caplan says:

Some of these responses are too funny. #29, your comment about Diaz, Danzig, and Veganism is a joke. But I’ll play along and do you one better – Diaz’s pro-marijuana stance when it is an illegal chemical. In my world, there’s a big difference between being pro-drug and pro-hate. Maybe there’s no difference in your world but if that’s the case, please let me know where it is so this way I can avoid it.

Veganism and Nazism? Goodness gracious.

• Smithee says:

“My response to #1 is exactly what #10 said.”

Most of #10’s post was devoted to knocking the free speech argument. Then he concluded with “…stand up for what’s right.” He didn’t say “pick and choose your pet evil.” Asking for consistency here is not skirting the issue or changing the subject. It could even be important legally if you succeeded in getting Costa banned and he decided to sue.

Also, not that the flag argument was at all relevant, but the last time I checked, the hammer and sickle was on the Soviet flag, not the Russian flag.

Smithee:

Did you not read what #10 said? I have a right to express my opinion about Melvin Costa’s opinion. The constitution is no way forces ProElite, Inc. to support Costa’s views. They are free to express their opinion as well.

I stand corrected on the Soviet and Russian flag but you stand corrected on my legal exposure. Costa would only have a legitimate case if that was a photo shop — and I know for a fact that it’s not. He could only sue me if I slandered him or committed libel and I’ve done nothing of the sort.

• El Chumpo says:

Ha ha ha…everyone trying to be politically correct.

Neal:

Those wheels are already in motion.

• Captain says:

^^^
    Good… like I said before, I think we need to get the facts straight on whether this guy is still an asshole or possibly reformed before we lynch him.

• Sam Caplan says:

El Chumpo, get a clue. This isn’t about being politically correct, it’s about being anti-racist. My feelings on ignorance and racism have nothing to do with whether my feelings happen to be socially acceptable. If being anti-racist was politically incorrect, I’d still be anti-racist.

Captain:

I’m working on getting the facts but there’s still no excuse for displaying a swastika on your chest like that for public display.

If he needed it to survive in jail, that’s fine. But if it were me, I’d pay the money to have it distorted if I couldn’t afford to have it completely removed. If I didn’t have the money to have it altered, then I’d work as many jobs as I needed to to get the money I would need before I displayed my chest to anyone. Fighting isn’t the only way to make money.

People have to be held accountable for what they say and do. Even if he’s reformed that’s no excuse for displaying a swastika. There are a lot of things he could do to denounce his past, starting with distorting all symbols that may represent racial and sexual intolerance.

• Some people are saying this could have been something he had gotten in the past but doesn’t reflect his feelings now but there are a lot of very good tattoo artists who could blend it into something else but he has chosen not to do that. It’s his right but there are opportunities to correct it as well.

ProElite hasn’t issued anything yet but they seem to handle issues rather openly (see the recent press release about drug testing for example).

Well said Fightlinker.

• Smithee says:

Sam Caplan:

“Did you not read what #10 said?”

Maybe you should read what I said more carefully. I didn’t question your right to knock Costa for the swastika. I suggested that inconsistency in one’s opposition to mass murder makes it harder to take one seriously on the matter. In other words, your continued ducking of the issue about Monson doesn’t help your cause.

And I wasn’t suggesting that you might have a legal liability … I suggested that the organization that fired him might have a problem. IANAL, but I would guess that the normal rebuttal to that would be that wearers of political symbols are not a protected class. True, but when ostensibly legal inconsistencies span ethnic boundaries, for example, defendants get very nervous about letting a case get to court.

• Here’s something I’ve thought about. What if the White supremacy movement decides to buy tickets to an event and they show up supporting him and being belligerent? I mean, it’s a fantasy scenario, but as a fight promoter, I’d be a bit worred as to what kind of crowd he may attract and potential tension it could bring to an event. Just a thought.

• Sam Caplan says:

I did read it. When did I ever condone mass murder? Please show me I did. You won’t be able to because I never did. We’re not talking about anyone else here than Melvin Costa. Who is the one avoiding the issue? You’re the one introducing issues unrelated to Melvin Costa and his swastika tattoo.

In regard to you not suggesting I have legal liability, here is what you initially wrote:

“Asking for consistency here is not skirting the issue or changing the subject. It could even be important legally if you succeeded in getting Costa banned and he decided to sue.”

If that’s not what you meant, you need to be more clear.

• Mobb Deep says:

Fact of the matter is, you can reasonably interpret a hammer and sickle in a number of diffrent ways. Afterall, the symbol represents the unification of the peseant (sickle) and worker (hammer). Yes, it was on the flag of a repressive regime, but having a tattoo of it does not necessiarly express support for that regime. He could just as easily be expressing support for the ideals of communism (an ideology not rooted in RACISM like Nazism, workers rights, the poor..etc. So there is room for debate with Monson

But, there is only one reasonable way to interpret a swastika with a big ass Hitler style eagle over it.

Does Costa believe in his tattoo still? Seems like it. According to fightlinker, “in the post-fight video that’s no longer there, his crew of skinheads behind him were displaying SS symbols and a shirt with a racist slogan as well.”

• Accomando says:

“…We’re not talking about anyone else here than Melvin Costa. Who is the one avoiding the issue? You’re the one introducing issues unrelated…”

Exactly, and you don’t know who Melvin Costa is, and niether do any of us, but there is quite a lot of judging going on.

The issues are symbolism & hypocracy.

We have been conditioned for certain reactions to certain images and not to others, even though they are both equal in retchedness. It’s interesting to me.

“…If he needed it to survive in jail, that’s fine. But if it were me, I’d pay the money to have it distorted if I couldn’t afford to have it completely removed. If I didn’t have the money to have it altered, then I’d work as many jobs as I needed to to get the money I would need before I displayed my chest to anyone. Fighting isn’t the only way to make money….”

Good point Sam.

• Good find 44 I hadn’t read about his guys doing all that as well. Also I agree about the hammer and sickle. To me those symbols are far less offensive than a swastika.

LR is right on as well, it isn’t the fighter himself as (by all accounts) no one has ever had any real problems with him voicing his minority opinion but supporters of the movement could cause a ruckus at a future event and wind up as bad press for PE or any promotion he fights in.

He has every right to his opinion but if you’re a public athlete you shouldn’t be parading around with a tattoo like he has. Like I said earlier he can mask the tat and still feel the same way it is just less likely to offend people or blow back on his employer, in this case pro elite.

• Smithee says:

Sam Caplan:

You are turning this into such a petty little semantic pissing contest you should be embarrassed. I’ll play your game one last time:

“When did I ever condone mass murder? Please show me I did. You won’t be able to because I never did”

When did I ever accuse you of condoning mass murder. Please show me. You won’t be able to because I never did.

“We’re not talking about anyone else here than Melvin Costa. ”

I noticed. The question is why?

“Who is the one avoiding the issue”

Not me. I think Monson and Costa should receive the same treatment. Do you agree? I’ll even let you pick the treatment, if you’ll finally give a straight answer.

• Accomando says:

“…in the post-fight video that’s no longer there, his crew of skinheads behind him were displaying SS symbols and a shirt with a racist slogan as well…”

Now thats a serious issue. I was going on the basis that he had maybe left it behind.

I know I have been harping on Monson, but I don’t remember any crew of soviets following him into the arena.

This guy should be Ex-communicated from MMA. An old tattoo is one thing, bringing racists crews with you to an event is another.

The guy is a ticking time bomb.

• Well, with the right amount of work, he could become a spokeperson for Harley Davidson. Get rid of the swastika and make it a Harley Davidson logo.

• If I remember correctly, Monson has actually stated he is against Communism. He’s pro-anarchy, if I’m correct, which means a state of society without government or law.

Smithee:

“I suggested that inconsistency in one’s opposition to mass murder makes it harder to take one seriously on the matter. In other words, your continued ducking of the issue about Monson doesn’t help your cause.”</p><br />
    <p>By suggesting that I am being inconsistent towards mass murder, when I have not addressed Monson’s sickle one way or the other, what are you trying to say?

“I noticed. The question is why?”

Because Costa is the subject at hand. By bringing Monson into the conversation, you’ve introduced a completely different subject from what my initial blog posting had to do with. We’re not talking about Jeff Monson fighting for the UFC. We’re talking about MELVIN COSTA fighting for KING OF THE CAGE. You can comment on whatever you want here but my focus was and still is Melvin Costa.

• jaydog says:

It’s unfortuante that Jeff Monson’s good name has been dragged into this discussion simply because a political tattoo originated issue. I know a lot about Monson’s politics and he is 100% anti-racist. His identification with anarchy/socialism hinges on the idea that “all forms domination” need to be eliminated from society (be they racial, corporate, or governmental). Don’t drag Monson into a witch hunt that surrounds neo-nazis. I’m guessing that’s why Sam didn’t dignify Smithee’s leading question. Besides, the cause of most tattoos is rebelion and posturing (although I am proud of Jeff for wearing his heart on his sleeve literaly). Do we really need to read so much into this? Are there fighters with rebel flag tattoos? I consider that a racist symbol as well. At any rate, this whole thing is a slippery slope. The repugnant beliefs and sketchy pasts of MMA fighters is a can of worms that should not be openned when a physical competition is all that is being decided in the ring.

• Captain says:

Anyone know where to find that post-fight interview? Seems like it’s been removed from several places. I’ve been giving dude benefit of the doubt but if it turns out that he still is racist and brings some sort of neo-nazi posse to events with him, then fuck ‘em.

• Smithee says:

Sam Caplan:

I notice I still didn’t get that straight answer.

Mobb Deep and Leland Roling:

There is a lengthy video by Monson on youtube discussing his politics. He leaves out a lot of details, but the sense I get is that he falls into the camp that are largely Marxist. (There are a lot of different flavors of anarchist.) Such people don’t approve of Stalin and his tactics any more than the rest of us, so it is undoubtedly unfair for him to be caught in the middle like this. That is one reason why we need to be much more intelligent about this. Symbols mean different things to different people. Fair or not, many people nowadays associate the hammer and sickle with very bad things. So which definition do we use when we decide to be offended? Plus, if we got a close look at all of the tats in MMA, I’ll bet we could find a mountain of other things to be offended over.

And if we are going to ban Costa for the people he attracts, what do we do when some black or Latino fighter attracts some gang members? Is that OK, as long as he doesn’t have gang tats? Should MMA act like a biker bar that prohibits people from wearing their colors? What if someone admits to Nazi sympathies but doesn’t wear a swastika? Out of sight, out of mind?

• Aye, aye, Caplan. There was another dude on a KOTC card recently that had WP tats on his shoulders. They don’t look like anything unless you know WP/Skinhead culture. I think he also had tattooed eyebrows.

• Smithee says:

Jaydog:

“Smithee’s leading question”

Your post went up while I was writing. I think you’ll see from my last post that I agree with most of what you said .. about Monson and the rest. The only thing I was trying to lead Caplan into was an intelligent, well reasoned stance. I’m with you that this can of worms should not be opened.

• Accomando says:

Smithee, while I agree with your premise, you have to look at this from a couple of angles.

The main-stream media, which is in the buisiness of over-blowing shocking stories, would have a field day with this guy if something “were” to happen and maybe get out of control at an MMA event he was at.

Then you get the stigma that “mma is in with the Nazi’s” which, eventhough the overuse of the word has diminished its value, it still brings tons and tons of negativity with it as it absolutely should.

Who knows where the MSM would take the story, but it could invariably affect MMA in an extremely negative way.

MMA isn’t a democracy, they should axe him before something bad happens and tarnishes MMA at this cruical time of its history.

As sad as it is to say, this clown could cause irrepairable damage, thus affecting lots of good people in MMA in a bad way.

MMA will not be affected if this chump is cut out of competition, but it might be if he is allowed to continue, that is most likely the truth of the matter.

• c-ing_red says:

Sam – You are funny. As a journalist, you don’t surprise me. You got what you wanted – responses!!! Yeah, he has a swastika tattoo – I just got done
    reading gladiator magazine and in an ad for KOTC was, I believe, Dave Cryer who has two “White Pride Worldwide” tattoos on each shoulder (the one Neal Taflinger is talking about). He is also the one that has the peckerwood on his stomach. But you know so much about “Nazism” (is that a word?) that you would have known that.

I just think that your diatribe about how weed is not enough of a “public relations nightmare” is assinine. The amount of opression caused by the distribution and sale of illegal drugs (Marijuana included) is astronomical. You could even include the abuse of alcohol in that equation also.

My comparison to Veganism was because I was playing devils advocate. There are a ton of subjects that could be controversial. You just choose to take exception to this guys tattoos – without knowing the full story.

Frankly, you need to get out more.

Smithee:

I’ll refer to something JayDog wrote because it’s precisely how I feel:

“It’s unfortuante that Jeff Monson’s good name has been dragged into this discussion simply because a political tattoo originated issue. I know a lot about Monson’s politics and he is 100% anti-racist. His identification with anarchy/socialism hinges on the idea that “all forms domination” need to be eliminated from society (be they racial, corporate, or governmental). Don’t drag Monson into a witch hunt that surrounds neo-nazis.”

While no one has said this directly, I get a general feeling by some comment made here that people believe I am being selective. If you (and by “you” I’m not directing it at anyone in particular) feel that way, I’d love to know how so? I’m sorry for not knowing all the neo-nazi and skinhead tattoos out there and what they represent. If I knew what they were and I saw it, I wouldn’t hesitate to speak out on it. Go back and do a search on this site under Bodog and read my commentary about the racist behavior then. I made it a point to make an issue about that behavior and was still offended even though a lot of what was being said didn’t affect me directly.

Whenever I’ve encountered racism, sexism, or homophobia, I’ve spoken out against it.

• Accomando says:

“…It’s unfortuante that Jeff Monson’s good name has been dragged into this discussion simply because a political tattoo originated issue…”

Jeff Monson doesn’t hide from his beliefs, so why are you guys making him out to be above reproach?

…monson quote:…
    “…“If there is any contradiction, it’s that we’re part of the capitalist machine, and I’m really just a wage slave. You know, we don’t make any money without fighting, and if I win I get more; if I lose I get less. But it’s simply a sport….”

He doesn’t really make any new points here. Its called competition (the heart of capitalism), so yes, he is contradicting himself.

Anarchy?

Great idea, tear things down, but what do we replace everything with?

Monson epitomises annoying.

“…While Monson was preparing for a fight in Portland, a film crew came to the gym and recorded his outfit that day, which included a tank top that read “Assassinate Bush.”…”

Let’s stop the Monson ball scrubbing going on here.

He has extremist views, you guys just more or less agree with him and or want him to be allowed to say/flaunt them.

Extremists come from both sides, both would like to drastically change a relitively well run society, how is either better?

• Ben Fowlkes says:

I think that because Monson manages to hold so many contradictory beliefs at once, somehow he gets a pass. I don’t know why that is, but it seems like if you have tattoos of a hammer and sickle, anarchy symbol, AND a handprint, people shouldn’t really spend their time trying to pin down your personal ethos.

• Smithee says:

Accomando:

I, for one, wasn’t defending him against anything other than being a Stalinist or large C Communist. Even a lot of Marxists seem to object to Stalinists more for centralizing everything than for the millions that died, but I’m willing to accept that his heart is in the right place on mass murder.

For the Southern California anarchists fixing to get offended about now, it should be noted that many of them are different from the typical northwest anarchist. My experience with them has been that they have more in common with a right wing militia — no racism, but militant, gun-totin’ pro private property/anti fed philosophy.

• Accomando says:

“…I don’t know why that is, but it seems like if you have tattoos of a hammer and sickle, anarchy symbol, AND a handprint, people shouldn’t really spend their time trying to pin down your personal ethos…”

Or praise that particular person for wearing thier “heart on thier sleeve” whichever heart that may be.

But great point, tou che’.

• Browning 35 says:

So he’s got a swastika tattooed on him big deal.

Yeah I’m sure that there isn’t any Black or Hispanic fighters that have any political, racial or gang tattoos that basically make the same statement only from a different perspective.

Some people need to get a freaking life.

• r88 says:

you’re all hypocritical pieces of shit. this man has a tattoo that stands for something he believes in and you all look down on him for it. if it stated “black pride” or “brown pride” no one would oppose, but a white person expressing his beliefs is automatically considered common street trash. you’re all ignorant as far as i am concerned, you’re all talking shit on one man who stands up for his beliefs while you sit there telling minorities to stand up for themselves. well guess what, its 2008 and us whites are becoming more a minority with each day that passes, we have just as much a right to be proud as the rest of you.