A flicker of hope?

At yesterday’s press conference which announced the arrival of M-1 Global, and their marquee signing, Fedor Emelianenko, new CEO, Monte Cox made some interesting comments regarding a still possible fight between Randy Couture and Fedor in the UFC Octagon.

If the UFC gets Randy back and they call and want Fedor to fight, we’ll send him to the UFC.

I know you’re probably thinking this won’t happen and you’re probably right. However, let us just hypothesise for a second and see what it would take for this statement to come to fruition.

Step 1

Step 1 is obviously for the UFC to get Randy back. If we are to believe Dana White (remember, we are hypothesising) when he says he has never said “no” to Randy then he would probably be open to a renegotiation of Randy’s contract.

This appears to be a pretty reasonable way of thinking, seeing as Dana White inferred he’d be open to such an idea on the EPSN interview previously posted on here by Sam Caplan.

Step 2

Here’s where things get a bit tricky. Step 2 is to take up Monte Cox’s offer and bring in Fedor for possibly the biggest fight in MMA history.

The problem with bringing in Fedor into face Randy is that it would be in all likelihood a one fight deal and if Fedor beats Randy, Dana White and the UFC are left with a Champ and a division that is now second rate as they don’t have a true claim to having the best fighter.

That very reason is probably why Dana White wanted Wanderlei Silva for three fights when he attempted to loan him from Pride to face Chuck Liddell last year.

However, the fact Dana White was even keen on the idea of an outsider derailing the previous UFC posterboy in Liddell in the first place is cause for a slight glimmer of hope and also White’s confident prediction that “The Natural” would destroy Emelianenko is also another thing leaning in favour of this being a possibility.

Step 3

If miraculously these series of events take place, then the third and final step would be setting up the fight. There is no doubt that marketed properly this fight could be the biggest MMA fight of all time, and the fact it was held in the UFC would be a great feather in the cap of Dana White and ZUFFA.

On a side note: How would M-1 market a Fedor/Couture fight when they have no access to any of their fight footage as it is all currently owned by Zuffa?

To set up this fight, the UFC should use it’s video library to it’s full potential to show the amazing versatility of Fedor at any and every oppurtunity (and that includes the eyepopping exaggeration from Joe Rogan).

I don’t think you could make this a title fight because of the previously stated reason of it would probably only be a one fight deal. But a 3 round fight would rob the fans of the “championship rounds” which would quite probably decide this fight.

So it should be marketed as a Superfight where the UFC presents the ageless Couture in his last fight against M-1 Global’s Emelianenko in the greatest mixed martial arts fight of all time.

The Pay Per View revenue as well as the endorsements would be enough to satisfy both M-1 and the UFC financially as well as giving MMA simultaneous exposure in the US, Russia and the rest of Europe.

This is all purely hypothetical and I know you’ve probably read this and thought this is complete madness.

I’m not as naive as to think that M-1 and the UFC would seamlessly work together, especially as M-1 has just really announced itself to the MMA consciousness. I’m also aware Dana White is very stubborn and probably will refuse to do business with Fedor or his management again. I’m also very aware Dana White wouldn’t want to risk any damage done to his company’s name by an outside fighter beating his Heavyweight champion.

But its still… just a flicker of hope

• Gabber says:

I think not only what you said above but this fight would be in the best interest of M-1 Global, how else would you advertise someone like Fedor with no footage and no North American name. You use the UFC platform and marketing machine to showcase your #1 guy, then half of your advertising is done for your next card. No doubt the casual UFC fan knows who Fedor is “He’s the reason Randy quit!”

I think it would be a huge payday for everyone involved and the hardcore fans would love it.

Bring it on, make it happen. :D

• Evan says:

Gabber

Yeah I was thinking about that earlier, they have no footage of him at all they can use unless perhaps Fedor’s team had something worked out with Bodog. But not much you can use there….

They are really going to have to rely on the media to explain to potential customers how good he is.

• ossBASHA says:

I’m pretty sure LOTS of people would be willing to pay $80 (instead of $40) for that fight.

• Gabber says:

I’m sure by lots of people you mean hardcore fans. Well, hardcore fans have been watching UFC since the inception. It wasn’t till they landed the huge tv deal and made the sport accessable to the vast public, that they started breaking live gate/ppv buy records. So yeah, I know alot of people would pay to see it. I really think you’d sell more fights with Chuck vs Wandy card or Tito vs Rampage/Hendo/Anyone. :P

It’s just the amount of money UFC puts into marketing.

That and the UFC adds are on every commercial on Spike. :P

• dizzle says:

I think M-1 won’t have a problem with marketing Fedor. Only the hardcore fans like us are the ones who know who he is. Hell I just showed my cousin a few fights of fedor last night and he thought I was joking when I told him he is one of the best MMA Pound for Pound fighters on the planet. He sooned realized that I was right when I showed him that Fedor has all the skills that it takes to become number 1.

I’m actually probably going to convert to a heavy M-1 Fan and put UFC on the back burner.

• MMA SKOOL ™ says:

A flicker of hope. Perfect.

How about adding this on…

Wait until you crown a new Heavyweight champ like Sylvia, or whoever, and then not only does it not have to be a title fight, but its not even a fight with the actual UFC Heavyweight champ.

The whole idea about not wanting a second rate weight class is a moot point, because even if this scenario doesn’t happen and Randy fades away and Fedor does his thing, we’re still left with a UFC HW champ with a big asterix by his name… Tim Sylvia? Big Nog? Both of those guys were dominated by Randy and Fedor. Therefore there’s nothing to lose…

The UFC gets a payday for the PPV “Super Fight” (although losing some money upfront to pay Fedor his “M1 fee”), and they get to sell product… i.e. throw in some other exciting matchups to the fight card to show off the UFC portfolio.

“UFC 88: BATTLE OF THE CENTURY… COUTURE vs. FEDOR, HOUSTON ALEXANDER vs. TITO… MICHAEL BISPING vs. RICH FRANKLIN!!!!”

• Amir says:

@MMA SKOOL,

Couture dominated BOTH Sylvia AND NOG? are you high? did Randy already fight Nog when I went to sleep? get your facts straight.

P.S. Bisping and Franklin are in 2 completely different weight classes

I hope you were joking, otherwise, your name should be MMA FOOL!!!

• mike says:

Amir u moron he was talking about fedor beating nog u faget

• MMA SKOOL ™ says:

Amir… Calm down.

I meant both Sylvia and Big Nog were dominated by Randy and Fedor RESPECTIVELY.

And I was hypothesizing on a superfight card that included Michael Bisping moving down to fill in the thin middleweight class. Franklin is finished as far as Anderson Silva is concerned, but I’d pay good money to see him pound on a guy like Bisping… Who knows, maybe Franklin moves up? Just throwing it out there anyway.

There are tons of good fights the UFC could put together that don’t involve the belt. They just need to get creative.