Brad Imes first opponent for Brock Lesnar?

According to MMAScoops.com, this could be a possibility:

MMAScoops.com has learned that Brad Imes has been contacted by UFC and is being talked about as a possible opponent for Brock Lesnar’s UFC’s debut fight in February of 2008.

Brad Imes? Really? That’s a trap fight for Lesnar, in my opinion. Imes’ jiu jitsu has grown leaps and bounds since the reality show and he gogoplata’d his last opponent at WFC Downtown Throwdown in September. I’m not saying Imes would win, but I am saying it’s a much tougher fight than people will view it as.

If I’m the UFC, I throw Lesnar a serious bone in his first fight. Say Brad Imes comes in and beats Lesnar? Where do they go from there? Personally I’d love to see Imes v. Lesnar, but if I’m Dana White, there’s no way I risk it.

• The UFC will be fucked if Lesnar drops his first fight. They need to build that dude up, he’s far from an invicible superman in MMA.

• Dave says:

Yes, but how do you gogo that which has no neck?

(I believe this quote is attributed to Enson Enoue)

• Dr J says:

How is Brad Imes a tough fight? His UFC record is horrible and his size, which he can usually use an advantage against most, is out the window against Lesnar. This is not a tough fight in my opinion.

• Adam Morgan says:

Simple. Experience. Lesnar has fought MMA ONE time and that was against a complete can. Lesnar has experience. Any fight is going to be tough for Lesnar because of his lack of experience.

• Adam Morgan says:

“Lesnar has experience.”

Supposed to be Imes, not Lesnar.

• Dr J says:

Yeah, Imes has experience getting his ass kicked against mid level talent. Personally, I don’t need a record to tell me if a fighter is good or not. Like to think I can judge a fighter more then just looking up his record on sherdog.

• Adam Morgan says:

Experience is experience, no matter which way you cut it. He’s been in adverse situations, been in battles, been on the winning end, and been on the losing end.

What do you know about Lesnar? NOTHING. Great, he has an extensive amateur wrestling background and he beat up a can who is barely a heavyweight. What will he do when he’s on his back? What will he do when he’s rocked? Will he be able to effectively pass guard?

These are all unknowns. Why is there so much hype surrounding this guy?

All I’m saying is that this is a tough fight for Lesnar as will be pretty much any matchup against any guy who’s been fighting in MMA for a while.

• Dr J says:

Lesnar’s grappling skills will put Imes and most of the UFC’s Heavyweights to shame. He has an explosive first step/shoot that will put Imes and most of the UFC’s Heavyweights to shame. He is hella stronger than Imes and most of the UFC’s Heavyweight class. If you don’t think strength is important, why don’t you ask Brandon Vera what would have helped him off those weak ass clinches from Sylvia? Strength! Who does Imes even train with? Lesnar has spent the last almost two years training MMA with the Minnesota Martial Arts Academy, this on top of his already vastly better amateur wrestling career he has over much of the UFC’s Heavyweight class. Lesnar’s transitioning skills and movement on the ground, which is where most of his matches will surely end up, are so far beyond what Imes, Sylvia or most of the UFC’s Heavweights can handle. Imes was outmuscled by Rashad, who shouldn’t have even been fighting at Heavyweight, he will get broken against Lesnar’s strength. Maybe that’s why there is so much hype around him. Sounds like I might know a bit about him, compared to the NOTHING you obvioulsy know about him. Lesnar is a lot more versed in MMA than people are giving him credit for and if Imes is indeed his frist oppenent, I think Lesnar will make short work of him. It’s not as if Imes has been fighting in combat sports for that long. Didn’t he say on the TUF show that he’d just picked up the sport. His years of combat sports versus Lesnar are not even close.

• Adam Morgan says:

Who does Imes train with? Miletich.

Like I said, let’s see Lesnar in a fight or two and then I’ll make my conclusions. Until then, I know nothing about the guy as far as mixed martial arts goes.

• Sam Cupitt says:

I’m seriously picking Imes by a triangle if this fight takes place. Imes catches people, you may scoff at that but in the heat of the moment, Lesnar might be a little over zealous to prove himself and the famous slowest triangle of all time will sneak its way up from Imes.

They should put Lesnar in with a smaller heavyweight. One he can man handle and look impressive or one that wont offer anything off his back. Or just you know… give him Kevin Jordan

• Dr J says:

He trains with Miletich casually or full-time? Just reading a bunch of MMA snobbery on here. I agree he has to prove himself but grow some balls and actually analyze this past, “Well I have to see more of him.” That’s fan boy talk!

• Adam Morgan says:

Fan boy talk? Hardly.

Maybe I’d rather base my opinion on what he does in the cage instead of speculating and buying into the hype.

• godzillad says:

I always said that Jake O’Brien or Antoni Hardonk would be perfect first fight for Brock. O’Brien doesn’t have hands and relies on wrestling, which Brock will embarrass him in. Hardonk has good strikes but no wrestling or ground game, like Kongo. Hell, Brock would beat Kongo.

I thought Scott Junk would make a good first opponent for Mark Hunt too.

• Dr J says:

I think my analysis of what Lesnar would bring to a fight with Imes or others in the UFC is more than buying into hype, it’s actual MMA analysis. I can’t stand mma writers and experts that don’t have the balls to analyze a fighter based on their knowledge outside of what is shown in the ring or cage. The actual fights make up such a small portion of what it means to participate in MMA.

• Mr. Takedown says:

It is a strong possibility that Lesnar’s aggressiveness will put him in bad positions for joint locks and/or chokes. He simply doesn’t have the cage experience to avoid it, plus he’s going to push the pace hard. I’m thinking he’ll be like Randleman, anyone else thinking that too?

I’m really looking forward to seeing how someone with his size and strength can power out of different clenches and holds. I also can’t wait to see him german suplex some poor fool.

After 2 or 3 solid victories against opponents of increasing skills sets, I’ll mark out for big Brock.

• Jim says:

You talk about strength, strength, strength! I say, “Make him pass a piss test, piss test, piss test!”. Another juiced up freak ( read “cheater” ) is not what the sport needs.

• Sam Caplan says:

Jim, I respect you and I know the subject of performance enhancers affects you more than a fan since you’re a fighter but I think you and others might be jumping to conclusions on Lesnar. While I don’t know for a fact, there’s little doubt in my mind he was on performance enhancers when he was in the WWE. However, he’s lost a ton of muscle mass in the past couple of years and he did indeed take a drug test for the K-1 USA Dynamite!! show.

That being said, whenever someone in the industry hears me say a guy passed a drug test they usually laugh at me and I think the feeling is that the tests can be beat. I’m not trying to call you out, but I’d love to get a fighter’s perspective on this. Do you feel the tests can be beat?

• Jim says:

Sam,

No. I do not feel that the tests can be beat. The tests will detect heavy steroid use. However, there are two other problems unrelated to the effectiveness of the test.

The first is that drug tests have not been given to UFC competitors before every fight. The tests were mandatory for title bouts only. I feel that tests should be given before every fight and randomly to anyone contracted with this organization.

The second problem is that athletes may these enhancers while training, but discontinue use prior to fighting. The use of these enhancers may only be detectable a few weeks or months after the athlete discontinues use of the steroid. The time required depends on the type and amount of enhancer taken.

Lastly, you stated that Lesnar passed his drug test for the K-1 USA Dynamite show. Let me ask you this, do you think that the gains made through use of enhancers had all been diminished by the time of the competition? Of course not. Stephan Bonnar fought on the last UFC card, despite testing positive for steroids during his last appearance. His body looked completely transformed. He passed the test this time because he discontinued the use of the substances he was taking. However, the physical benefits he gained during the drug use remain.

How can you tell me this is fair to a clean competitor of his? Tim Silvia failed his test twice in a row. How does Brandon Vera feel like after getting overpowered in the clinch against Tim in UFC 77?

The way that I see it is this-
    By organizations NOT testing for performance enhancers frequently and randomly, they are putting the fighters in a dilemma between their morals, health, and ability to compete on a level playing field. A fighter should not have to sacrifice his or her own health and ethics just to compete fairly in an organization such as the UFC.

If a competitor fails a drug test, he or she should be terminated indefinitely. I know it sounds harsh, but it is in the best interest of the fighters and their health.

• [...] that’s why his name was atop everyone’s rumored list as Brock Lesnar’s first UFC opponent. Obviously, those [...]