Randy Couture press conference to be covered live

The power that Randy Couture has in this industry will never be more evident than on Thursday when he holds a press conference in Las Vegas at 4:30 p.m. ET/1:30 p.m. PT where the three-time UFC heavyweight champion plans to respond to comments made by UFC president Dana White in regard to his departure from the promotion; address a report on Yahoo! Sports that claims Couture is earning between $3.25 million-$3.75 million per fight on his current contract (a report that Kevin Iole stands by); and respond to questions from the media.

Couture’s press conference will not be held in a vacuum as HDNet issued a press release today announcing a special live edition of their weekly MMA news magazine “Inside MMA” that will cover the press conference live.

Additionally, ProElite.com is planning a live forum chat at 4 p.m. ET/1 p.m. PT in which fighters will be on hand at the press conference updating everyone with what’s going on. ProElite.com will also be conducting interviews at the press conference and making the video available on its site.

I haven’t received any word from The Fight Network but I know Mauro Ranallo was at the Fedor press conference on Monday so I’m almost positive they’ll be sending some people out to cover Couture’s press conference on Thursday.

This should be very interesting because the MMA media is treating Couture’s press conference in the same manner in which ESPN would if Kobe Bryant announced he would never play another regular season game for the Lakers. If Couture’s goal is to put public pressure on the UFC to let him out of his contract so he can fight Fedor, he’s going to have a large audience in which he can try to appeal to.

• Zack says:

I wanted to take a second to thank Sam and all the new contributors for the up-to-the minute, comprehensive coverage of MMA we are lucky to get at 5oz. For a fight geek like me, this site is like crack.

Word.

• Mike Wolfe says:

This will be an interesting opportunity for Randy. Rather than angrily answer back to some of the provocative things that White said about him and his management, he should be calm, cool, collected and all business. The business side of the sport is every bit as competitive and serious as the fights themselves, and the guy who resorts to insults and trash talk loses and looks like a loser.

• Adam Morgan says:

Thanks, Zack!

• dizzle says:

Hell yea! I love this site too! I think the whole crew here does a great job of coverage and I feel they try to give the best facts as possible. I’m trying to help out as much as I can now too. I just designed a logo for Five Oz. and Inside Cage Radio. Hopefully the site will be getting an upgrade soon.

once again great job guys!

• rob daniel says:

Great news. It sounds like Cuban will putting on the Fedor vs. Couture fight which is great, b/c I would love to see this fight in HD. I hope they do it on NYE; that would be sweet. It’s great to see big names like Couture, Cuban, Ken Shamrock, Fedor, Monte, Finkelchtein, and the other orgs. all get together and work as a team to crush Dana and the UFC. I guess Dana will finally get what’s comin’ to him for all these years of treating fighters like garbage. Karma baby!

• bubbafat says:

I don’t see D.W. letting Randy outta his contract any time soon, so as it sits right now the most likely candidate for a match with Fedor is probably Big Ben Rothwell(I’d like to add that 5oz is the only site that has Rothwell in their top ten rankings, and deserved at that). He’s having trouble with Otto over at the IFL, and he is one of Monte Cox(new president of M-1) fighters.

• Johnny P. says:

While I’m happy and thankful that HD Net, Proelite.com, and possibly the Fight Network will be covering this event, the story sidebar to the press conference is what ESPN does. Second to ESPN, what some major papers do. Third, if Dana White gets to reactionary without thinking and gives a comment to the first person to call his office, because that would be a huge misstep. Especially if that phone call is ESPN News or USA Today. Even Steve Seivert at the Houston Chron. or everyone’s favorite safe bet, Kevin Iole, would be a huge blunder. The Fertittas, having heard this, should have called Dana just to tell him they’d like to take him out for lunch Thursday afternoon. No cell phones allowed.