It’s official: Liddell vs. Silva scheduled for UFC 79

wand_liddell

UFC president Dana White officially announced during Spike TV’s Scream 2007 that the long-awaited dream match between Chuck Liddell and Wanderlei Silva has been scheduled to take place on Dec. 29 at UFC 79 in Las Vegas at the Mandalay Bay Events Center.

I’m buying my tickets tomorrow.

• Sam Cupitt says:

Huzzah. Finally some good news.

• Ryan Seacrest says:

Hmmmm….I think that Chuck should of picked someone less skilled to fight next…..maybe to build up his confidence. None the less it will be a great fight seeing that they both will be coming off 2 straight losses.

• dizzle says:

This is old News…they had this information on UFC.com yesterday.

Also Sam you can buy me a ticket too!

• jt says:

Overrated. Rather see new blood.

• ossBASHA says:

Probably is overrated. This fight will make AND break the UFC, especially if one of these guys gets knocked out.

• Evan says:

Its a shame this wasn’t done years ago but no matter what it’s closure and it needed to be done.

• dizzle says:

I’ve got my money on Lidell just because He’s due for a win. BUt we’ll see what happens.

• Evan says:

Dizzle

So is Wanderlei right? They are both coming in at 0-2 in their respective recent records.

I think this might be a career capper for Chuck either way but I think he will be 0-3 when its done.

• dizzle says:

Yea Evan You’re right…but I’m thinking that Silva is going to be a little out of character when fighting in the cage again. To be honest I really don’t know what is going to happen. I have a gut feeling that Lidell is going to run away with the win. I just don’t have that strong of a gut feeling to place my bets yet.

I think it will be a good fight either way. I’m a fan of Silva more than Lidell but I just feel Lidell has the advantage this time.

• Evan says:

True.

Yeah I don’t feel strongly either way but I am simply leaning towards Wanderlei just because I have a feeling retirement is somewhere on Chucks mind. Honestly the day of a fight I will probably toss a coin for a prediction.

• Mike Wolfe says:

It will be interesting to see Silva at the weigh-in. He was heavily muscled in his PRIDE days, and I question whether he’ll have that look in a UFC fight. Not casting aspersions, just wondering out loud.

• MMA SKOOL ™ says:

WHO CARES IF THEY’RE BOTH WASHED UP OR WHATEVER, I WANT TO SEE THIS BATTLE!!!!!! IT’S GONNA BE VICIOUS.

• ponta says:

Mike Wolfe: Silva fought Dan Henderson under NSAC jurisdiction in February.

• Jaeger says:

I think his training away from Chute Boxe is going to be a great help to him. I’m sure we will see a better Silva then we have seen in a long time. I think this is Chuck’s swan song.

• Mike Wolfe says:

Ponta: Didn’t see the fight; don’t know who won. How’d Silva look/fight?

• Zack says:

Wandy looked smaller and apparently had strep. He still fought hard, but Dan eventually wore him down and knocked his ass out.

• winklepicker says: