K-1 HERO’S 10/28 Quick Results

5. Tae Hyun Lee def. Yoshihisa Yamamoto R1 via TKO
  6. Min Soo-Kim def. Ikuhisa Minowa R1 via TKO
  7. Zelg Galesic def. Taiei Kin R1 via TKO
  8. Dong Sik-Yoon def. Fabio Silva R1 via submission
  9. Yoshihiro Akiyama def. Denis Kang R1 via TKO
  • Dayzah says:

Now we shouldnt have too hear about Kang coming over too the UFC too take the belt from Silva .. He will prolly drop out of the top 10 now … Now if had joined the UFC instead and lost against a quality opponent things would be different ..

• hankd says:

Akiyama isn’t a quality opponent??

• Tanner says:

Does anyone know what happend to Marcelo? I was looking down the winner column to find Kang and low and behold be got beat. I’m surpised there too. I didn’t see that coming.

• Mr. Takedown says:

Kang and Carlos Newton lost. They are teh suck.

• Jeremy says:

Just watched the Kang fight. He took a vicious uppercut that knocked his mouth piece out of his mouth. He slumped down into the corner of the ring and Akiyama got one more solid shot it before the ref could stop the fight. Early in the fight Kang got a cut on his nose, which appeared to be broken after the fight. Not sure what or when the nose broke.

Zelg Galesic fight was short as his oppenent got a pretty big cut on his eye lid that caused the doctor to stop the fight.

• Zack says:

I just watched it as well (it’s on dailymotion if you are interested). Kang dictates the pace for the first 2:15, landing nice leg kicks and basically stalking Akiyama around the ring. Somewhere around 7:45 Akiyama lands a nice straight right to Kang’s nose and everything changes. Akiyama continues to jab at the nose and lands his own leg kicks. I wouldn’t say Dennis looks gassed at this point but he is no longer the agressor. Finally Akiyama has him in a corner and lands a monster uppercut that glazes Dennis’ eyes and put him on the mat.

Broken noses will change a fight pretty quick.

• Jeremy says:

Yeah Zack, that’s the same place I watched it as well. And I agree with your report as well. Unfortunate for Kang and I guess a little redemption for Akiyama.

• Zurich says:

Wow, that worked out pretty well for the Koreans!

• jt says:

I’d like to see the drug testing results on Akiyama.

• Adam Morgan says:

Ha. Drug testing in Korea? Good luck.

• Watched the tape delay feed over the ‘Net.

Marcelo had a hard time getting Kim to the ground, and Kim managed to bloody Marcelo unbelievably. Kim’s takedown defense was very good early in the 1st round. Once he got him down, he managed to get a full mount, but Kim didn’t allow him to posture up for the kill. It seems Marcelo’s inexperience showed in trying to ground and pound. Marcelo went for a choke later and Kim managed keep his arms from sinking in the rear naked choke. He managed to keep on Kim’s back for nearly all of the of the first round, almost securing the choke several times. Marcelo seemed to have won the first round simply based on submission attempts, but almost paid at the end when he lost the hold and Kim tried to pound him.

2nd round, Kim came out firing, tagging Garcia with a good combination, cutting the hell out of his head. The doctor stopped the fight.

Kang once again got injured halfway through, breaking his nose, then got backed into a corner and somehow got caught even though he seemed to have a decent reach advantage. He was completely knocked out, crumpled in the turnbuckle.

Akiyama looked decent in his movement, but it was definitely hard for him to reach Kang. Kang’s showing was horrible, but Akiyama isn’t exactly a bad fighter. Galesic simply kicked Kin in the eye and the cut wasn’t even that bad, but the placement in his eyelid caused the stoppage. Oyama was surprisingly outstriking Newton, Newton’s standup was atrocious. He stood still in the same spot at times while Oyama just hopped around him popping him with shots. Once it went to the ground, Oyama had an easy time submitting him considering Newton was completely beat up.

Poai Suganauma, a BJ Penn MMA student, absolutely dominated Ackah. It went to the ground instantly, fairly easy win. Dong Sik Yoon did the same to Fabio Silva, complete ground clinic. Yoon took down Silva easily and maintained a top position and worked Silva’s arm into an armbar.

• dice says:

hankd says:
    “Akiyama isn’t a quality opponent??”

Exactly my thinking, akiyama is legit and has been for quite some time. I was not surprised at all by the outcome of the Kang fight and I don’t think many fans that followed the sport(overseas) were either. He won k-1’s lightheavy tourny and look dominant against sak (greased legs or not, I don’t think sak was going to win that one). His only loss was Le Banner, who is a heavyweight, in his second mma fight. That uppercut was nasty, kang was out cold, and akiyama is showing that while he may not be refined in his standup game, he definitely has the power to hurt anyone that wants to bang.

# # 3 Tanner Says:
    October 28th, 2007 at 4:49 pm

The first thing I noticed in the Garcia fight was that he was giving up 25-30 pounds to won kim (just my guess from looking at them during the staredown), so I put very little stock in this loss. Its obvious that his stand up needs work but I would like to see him face guys his own size when it comes to mma (I know in grappling he is famous for submitting guys who far out weigh him, but things change when you can strike to the face). I have no idea why k-1 would match him up against someone that much bigger for his first fight.

I find sherdogs headline for this event to be a little strong(“Denis Kang and Marcelo Garcia Upset in Seoul”. I definitely don’t consider garcia’s fight to be an upset. You can make an argument for the kang fight being an upset, but I have always though of akiyama has a top ten middleweight.

• hbdale309 says:

Akiyama broke Kang’s nose with a soft jab causing Kang to shoot for a take down and get stuffed easily. Then Akiyama backed him into a corner and brutally KTFO. Akiyama must have heavy hands; I’m really impressed.

• Tanner says:

Dice, i eventually saw the fight on daily motion. I noticed to that garcias opponent was much bigger, he had even fought Joe Doerksen before, and he’s a 185er. I wasn’t to sure what caught him, was it a knee? i never saw the cut just tons of blood.

The uppercut on Kang was awesome. Mouth piece went flying, i don’t see how it came out the side it did but nonetheless Kang was out, wide eyed and out.

• paddiosf says:

WOW, Kang did KTFO I’m shocked but like most fighters when they get there noses broke it’s just a matter of time til it’s over..But Man I wasn’t expecting that KO…he’ll be back Kang a tough fighter…Those Pride fighters have had a Tough Year….I wish I could get Hero fights but my Cable provider doesn’t offer it on PPV…Hero reminds me of Pride…Minus HW,LHW

• hiroshi says:

K-1/HERO’S producer Sadaharu Tanigawa said at post-fight interview that he would like to see Hidehiko Yoshida vs Akiyama, although K-1 didn’t seem to offer Yoshida yet.

• dice says:

tanner

Yeah I thought it was the knee that cut him. It was hard to tell because the quality of the video I saw was low. I will say this, garcia definitely has a good chin. That knee was solid.

• Adam Morgan says:

Definitely the knee that cut him. Kang looked like a zombie after the uppercut.

• Sam Cupitt says:

I don’t think Kang handled his nose bleeding too well. As soon as he saw the blood he went for a takedown and just freaked out on his feet.

• jjdnb says:

I dont wanna sound like all those haters on the forum but I never liked Kang and thought he was over hyped. I was really surprized that people thought he could beat Anderson Sylvia.
    BTW Kang is part Korean but everyone was cheering for Akiyama who is from Japan if i’m not mistaken. Strange huh?

• Dr J says:

There are reports that he actually broke his nose on that punch, which obscured his vision. Going for a takedown and precenting more shots to the face/nose is MMA 101. It had nothing to do with seeing blood. Aikyama did a great job stuffing his takedown attempt. This is one loss for Kang, nothing big. He got caught with a good shot right on the button, it happens to the best in the biz. Rampage Jackson got smoked by Wanderlei, is he over hyped? No, he’s the UFC champ. It’s one fight people, against a good fighter, let’s not read too much into this. Also, Akiyama has had a following in Korea for a while now. Think they would have gone crazy for whoever won that fight. Fans all over Asia appreciate a good fight no matter who wins. They’ll cheer no matter what, not like in the US where booes are far too common. They respect fighters, not tear them down.