Can Houston Alexander be stopped?

I recently had the opportunity to speak with Houston Alexander. One thing came through very clearly in the interview – Alexander has a ton of confidence in himself. Not to the point where he is cocky but enough to where he feels he will be victorious each time out.

Alexander also feels that even though he started in the UFC in his late 30′s, he’ll be there for quite a few more fights:

“I have three more fights to go. I am pretty sure they will want to negotiate that for me to fight a little longer””

He also addressed the question of if he felt slighted that Keith Jardine got the Chuck Liddell fight instead of himself:

“People keep asking me, ‘Hey don’t you think you deserved to fight Chuck’ I tell them that I didn’t deserve it. I have not been in the UFC as long as those guys have been. To me, they deserved to fight each other. “

Judging by Alexander’s responses, he comes across as a very well grounded guy. He has not gotten caught up in his own success. To me, Alexander’s wins have not been a fluke. The reason for that is he believes in himself. He prepares himself very well. Alexander is clearly a down-to-earth guy who hasn’t even quit his “day job” as a radio DJ.

With a victory against Thiago Silva, Alexander could very well put himself in position to be in a #1 contender type match. I’d love to see Alexander get in the cage against someone with more name value – maybe Forrest Griffin or the winner of Wanderlei Silva vs. Chuck Liddell.

Is there a fighter who has been more surprising in the past year than Alexander? Maybe Sokoudjou, but besides that the list would be very short.

To read the entire interview, please click here.

• garth says:

i’d pay to watch alexander fight anyone at all about now. him and karo are the only reason i’m going to be separated from my money for 78.

• dizzle says:

I’m still waiting for someone to ask him what happened in the fight where they stopped the match before the fight because maybe he was too greased up before the fight.

I wish we would be able to clear that match up and find out what really happened.

• Jeremy says:

I am really interested to see what happens with Alexander when someone comes in with a good game plan against him. Jardine, didn’t seem to know anything about him, and Sakara just likes to bang. Thiago Silva comes from a good camp in Chute Boxe and it seems is now training with Team Link. I would think those camps could come up with some kind of strategy that would be better then Alexander’s first two opponents. See if Silva can get him on the ground perhaps.

• dizzle says:

I think his gameplan will be to get him on the ground.

But I don’t think that Thiago has the strength the keep him on the ground.

We’ll see what happens…Chute Boxe has alot of unorthodox fighting styles which can be hard to figure out. I’m rooting for Alexander for this fight though.

• Carson says:

Win or lose, I’ll pay money to watch this guy fight. That said Thiago will be a stiff test.

• MMA SKOOL ™ says:

Yeah he’s exciting to watch. Vicious.

Put him up against at least one grappler or wrestler before he gets a title shot, tho.