It’s Official: Brock Lesnar vs. Frank Mir on February 2nd

The UFC has officially announced that Frank Mir will be fighting Brock Lesnar on their Super Bowl Weekend Show, which I believe would be UFC 81.

Frank Mir? Really? Lesnar supposedly “asked” for this opponent, so I hope he knows what he’s in for. Granted, Mir’s performances as of late have been lackluster. He has looked like a shell of his former self, especially when it comes to his conditioning.

He obliterated Antoni Hardonk, but so did Justin McCully.

However, with this fight most likely ending up on the ground, Mir’s jiu jitsu is still some of the best in the heavyweight division. I thought Brad Imes was a trap fight. This one, in my opinion, is a pitfall.

Read more on Five Ounces of Pain (www.FiveOuncesofPain.com)

• Sam Cupitt says:

My god, I just saw that too and I was shocked. Well if he can defend against Mir’s submissions and stand up then he will definantly be a force to be reckoned with. I don’t think he’ll do either tho… good exposure for Mir tho.

• Trevor Smith says:

Does anyone really think Brock isn’t smart enough to “handpick” an opponent that both he and his “investor” don’t think he can win? He sees something and is probably VERY confident he can win. Definitely not a pitfall.

• Tommy says:

I don’t think it’s a good match up for Mir myself. I haven’t watch wrestling since Rowdy Roddy but that is a big tough guy. I think if Brock has a chin he’s a contender. Gonzaga would be a bad match up for Lesner, not Mir, not anymore.

• Sam Cupitt says:

…Mir by Toe Hold anyone?

• Evan says:

I just saw this on UFC.com. Really surprised…

Can Brock take a hit? Well a real one anyway…

• Shawn says:

we dont know. thats why this fight is happening. thats the best thing about the ufc – no one gets easy fights, not even a guy who is going to be marched into the organization parade style and get paid lots and lots of loot. fact is the fight makes sense for both guys. mir’s return has been shady at that and he needs a marquee win to truly get back to the form he had early on in his career. at the same time a win over a former UFC champ in his debut would truly prove that Brock Lesnar is for real.

a lot of people seem to forget this guy is literally one of the best amateur wrestlers to ever step foot inside the octagon, not to mention a physical and athletic freak of nature. think heavyweight sean sherk. with lesnars giant lack of a neck and his lifetime of getting his head slammed into wrestling mats, i dont see him having a weak jaw. check out his botched shooting star press at wrestlemania 19 whwere he stands right back up after landing on his head from about 10 feet hight. on top of that, lesnars wrestling is clearly superior to mirs and a lot of wrestlers have had some luck transitioning to jiu jitsu. with two years of preperation, it looks like lesnars ready. i honestly see lesnar winning by ground and pound in the first or second round. i think the fight will be competitive but quick. both of these guys have something to prove and the winner will probably only be about two fights away from a title shot depending on how the division pans out over the next 6 months or so.

• dice says:

Does anyone think that there is a chance the NSAC won’t let this fight happen?

• Justafriend says:

no a great matchup at all, but this could show us if Brock has some talent…

p.s Dice, cant login no more so i guess they were pissed of. Maybe i shouldn’t gone public about it. My strike, turned into they giving me the boot… lol

• Evan says:

dice I was wondering about that as well which is part of the reason I am so shocked.
    I assume they looked into it.

• dizzle says:

I suspect that this will be a great match for Lesnar. Mir has a great ground game and a good stand up. I think this will be a great first match for Lesnar to really test his skills. Lets hope for a great fight that goes the distance.

• I’m not a fan of Brock so if he lost to Frank Mir, I would shed no tears.

• Tanner says:

Sam – Thats what I thought. I posted it on my blog. I see Lesnar coming out and trying to tackle Mir and him going for an armbar or omoplata to toe hold like he did against Tank.

• dizzle says:

I bet Brock Lesnar comes out and does the Hulk Hogan Leg Drop to finish the Fight.

• Wess says:

This will either be a quick tap out, (Mir winning) or a savage beating (Brock winning) entertaining either way.

• dice says:

justafriend, send me an email man, I don’t know whats going on.

• Nostrum says:

I think with Brock we’re going to see the “He’s just too damn big” phenomenon we’ve seen for so long with Tim Sylvia. Which is a by product of it being really to find skilled giants to train with a “normal” sized heavyweight and the heavyweight division encompassing a what? 60Lb weight range as compared to the 10-15 norm. I see Cheick or MAYBE Arlovski being a challenge nothing till then

• dickerson says:

brock lesnar is going to win all he hass to do is hit mir those big ol’ fists of his and he will be done..no doubt a bout it