Mirko Cro Cop to make his return in January?

According to an interview with the man himself, he’ll be back in January:

Dnevnik.hr: Is CroCop back?

Mirko: CroCop is recovered, it will take a month to begin with sparrings again, although I have a special helmet for protection. The stripes are affecting my visibility so it’s not like the real thing, but the regular sparring sessions start in about a month.

I think my next fight is going to happen in January.

Interesting. The only PPV scheduled for January right now is UFC 80. At this point in time, who could Cro Cop face?

Gonzaga, Werdum, Kongo, Nogueira, and Sylvia are most likely off the list of opponents for Cro Cop’s return. You have to think Brandon Vera’s probably out for a few months with the broken hand as well. Will they give him another Eddie Sanchez type of fight? How about Andrei Arlovski?

If the UFC knows what’s good for them, they’ll give Cro Cop a striker next. They need an exciting fight out of the guy considering all the hype around him when he was first coming in. Give him a chance to do what he does best, which is kick people in the head. A fight with Arlovski, win or lose, has the possibility to be an exciting one that would get fans buzzing.

HT: Bloody Elbow

• Zurich says:

Antoni Hardonk? With the way CC has been performing, I think Hardonk would take it.

• Sam Cupitt says:

Well Hardonk is on the 80 card… except against the guy Sanchez beat at 72…

I doubt theyd give him another match against Herring. Probably some lower-middle tier guy like a Christian Wellisch or something completely left field like another match again Mark Hunt.

• Davey D says:

I’m all for Mirko vs. Anderi. That would be effin’ sweet.

• Gavin says:

I don’t care who he fights. I just want the old Mirko back.

• Dizzle says:

My Favorite Fighter back in action in January…I can’t wait.

I’m going to bet they’re going to have him fight Andrei Arlovski. It only makes sense since he hasn’t fought in like over 7-8 months.

• I can’t see them letting him fight a contender, he will likely fight somebody along the lines of Wellisch, O’Brien or McCully.

• dizzle says:

I doubt that mma-elite.com

Nobody wants to see Cro-Cop fight some low grade fighter…he needs to fight contenders so he is able to work his way back up to a title shot. It’s as simple as that…there is no reason why he shouldn’t be able to fight contenders.