According to The Fight Network, UFC president Dana White was asked by a reporter during a Monday press conference to comment on Kimbo Slice’s performance this past Saturday against Bo Cantrell at EliteXC: Renegade.
White said he did not watch the bout but still offered some comments.
“The guy is a tough street fighter,” White said. “I don’t know much about him. He’s a street fighter, and he’s making the switch to MMA. Who knows what could happen to a guy like that.”
While White’s comments could hardly be construed as complementary, they were still a huge departure of his previous statement last May, in which he was not only critical of the Cage Fury Fighting Championships for making a match between Slice and Ray Mercer, but also Slice himself.
ProElite.com (SamCaplan.ProElite.com) was informed by sources within Zuffa last week that White’s stance towards Slice’s involvement in MMA had softened.
It would not be surprising if the UFC pursued Slice once his current contract expires if he’s able to perform well against name opponents.