Is Sokoudjou going to fight at UFC 79 on Dec. 29?

Thierry_SokoudjouThe website HACnews.com has conducted an interview with free agent light heavyweight superstar Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou.

At least, I think he’s still a free agent. His current status has come into question following some comments he made in the interview.

There was a lot of discussion during the interview about fighters currently affiliated with the UFC:

LC- How do you feel you match up with those three fighters starting with Fedor Emelianenko?

RS- He’s a great fighter and I would love to fight him one of these days.

LC- Rampage?

RS- I would love to kick his ass

LC- Randy Couture?

RS- He’s a legend in MMA and it would de a great honor to get in the cage with him.

LC- What are your thoughts on Houston Alexander? He kind of came into the scene similar to you, knocking out a couple of good Light Heavyweights when he was relatively unknown. They weren’t two top five back to back wins as on your resume, but still impressive. Also how do you feel you two match up since we’re on the subject?

RS- He’s a pretty good striker, and I’m looking forward to facing him in a near future.

But those comments are nothing compared to how Sokoudjou ended the interview:

LC- Before I let you go are there any sponsors you want to mention, any websites or anything else to plug, and anything you want to say to your fans anxiously awaiting your return to the ring?

RS- I would like to thank Light Force for all the support. Also fans can reach me at www.africanassassin.com or on myspace at www.myspace.com/african_assassin. And I’ll be back not in the ring but in the cage DEC 29th in Vegas!

Back in the cage on Dec. 29 in Vegas? The only event I know of scheduled to take place on that date in Vegas is UFC 79 at the Mandalay Bay Events Center.

I this this could be a case where Sokoudjou didn’t communicate something properly because I just don’t see how a deal with the UFC could have been worked out when he had substantially more lucrative offers from other promotions on the table. Regardless, I plan on looking into this more today. Stay tuned.

• dizzle says:

I really miss seeing Sokoudjou in action. I really think he has the tools to be a champion in any org. that he choiches to fight in. I can’t wait to see him in action!

• paddiosf says:

What a talent this guy is , but he seems alttle over confident to me…I can’t wait to see him in the UFC if this report is true..

• Zack says:

I bet he means he will be cornering a Team Quest fighter Dec 29.

• Evan says:

I was wodnering when I found this yesterday why in the world they did not do a follow up question for clarification…

• [...] Only time will tell if Sokoudjou falls for this or if he actually gets the right contract. And Sam Caplan has this to add: I this this could be a case where Sokoudjou didn’t communicate something properly because I just [...]

• Tom says:

Although I’m sure it’s just a miscommunication (intentionally or unintentionally), it’s worth noting that UFC.com has still not officially announced the entire UFC 79 fight card other than Liddel/Silva and Hughes/Serra. Is it too much to hope that this is a real possibility?

• Evan says:

Tom

We shall see Tom. But UFC.com is alwasy bad about updating their site. For a company that hates its consumers going to other MMA sites they sure don’t give us a reason to reply on them for updated news.

• Stuart says:

What weight would he come in at? LHW or HW?

Who is available for him to fight at 79?

• JJ says:

I like the way you think Tom, UFC.com is a horrible website all around. Sam’s followup on this will by far be the most reliable source we can get.

• Jeremy says:

I see on sherdog.com right now there is a posting of a rumored fight of Machida and Sokoudjou for UFC 79, the source is some worldfight site that has the article up. Not sure about it’s credibility at all so take it lightly for now.

• Sam Caplan says:

If I was a betting man I would say that Sokoudjou has or is close to signing with the UFC. It wouldn’t surprise me if we saw something official come out in the next day or two. But that’s just me speculating so take it with a grain of salt.

• Jeremy says:

Do we have any idea what has happened with him signing with EliteXC and K-1? I mean it seemed like both thought he had signed with them now and it seems more and more like he won’t end up with either of them perhaps, granted the EliteXC deal has been over for a while.

• Phreak says:

Well if this is true:

Translates to: One of the best fighters of the category Light Heavyweight in the present time, the Brazilian Lyoto Machida will be the opponent of Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou in the UFC. Hot sources of the World Fight confirm that the fight will be announces in the next days. The Brazilians are chokeed with Sokoudjou, in the first semester of the year the african KO Rogério Minotouro and Ricardo Arona. ”

He’ll be fighting Machida.

• Zack says:

Wow – that other article gives some teeth to this rumor. What a difference this fight would make to that card…holy crap!

• hbdale309 says:

Fedor’s list of opponents just got a whole lot shorter.

• a. hieronymous says:

Saw both Sokoudjou & Machida at the OTM superstore over the weekend(sorry, have to brag)…would be very interested to see if Machida would change up his game plan against someone with hands like that.

• Da Twin says: