Sokoudjou to face Machida @ UFC 79 confirmed

UFC.com has confirmed what has been rumoured over the past couple of days. “The African Assassin” Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou (4-1) has signed a deal with the UFC and his first bout will be against undefeated Ryoto Machida.

The fight will happen at UFC 79: Nemesis on 29th of December and will add to an impressive card already featuring Matt Serra and Matt Hughes in a Welterweight title fight and the much anticipated bout between Chuck Liddell and Wanderlei Silva.

P.S. If I got Machida’s first name wrong I’m blaming the FiveOuncesOfPain categories…

Read more on Fiveouncesofpain.com

• jjdnb says:

I guess Lyoto forgot to pay his ‘protection’ money to the Dana White mafia.
    But regardless of the Soku band wagon everyone is on, Lyota has a good chance of stalling out a decision. I bet the odds will be stacked against michida and might be a good money maker for me

• Davey D says:

I really don’t see this fight going to a decision. My money is on Soko winning via TKO in RD2.

• Jeremy says:

Very interesting fight to me. And an excellent addition to the card. The Light Heavyweight division in the UFC is just ridiculously deep. You couldn’t really get an easy fight if you tried right now.

• Zack says:

great news…this made my week

• Accomando says:

Freakin’ awesome.

Henderson will be announced next. Henderson/Silva for title in December.

• Da Twin says:

i hope that Lyoto kicks the African Assassin Ass. Hopefully Lyoto will win. if not then i would like to see Alexsander Houston knock him out cold!

• Sam Cupitt says:

I don’t know about that Accomando. There’s thoughts we’ll see Henderson at middleweight in December, but Anderson Silva has shut up shop for 2007.

• Accomando says:

“…Anderson Silva has shut up shop for 2007…”

Damn.

Think about though, Silva has only fought a little over 4 rounds this year, he should squeeze another fight in. Wishfull thinking I guess.

• Razor says:

This is really going to be a great card

• Zack says:

If the Nog/Couture fight can’t be pulled off Super Bowl weekend, I bet Anderson Silva/Henderson gets made.

• Dizzle says:

Da Twin…HAHAHA Don’t make me laugh…I hope your being saracstic. If you think that machida is going to beat Sokoudjou ass…your out of your fuckin mind!

• Rory says:

Machida has whooped every standup fighter he ever faced. Something tells me Sokoudjou will take a few counter-punches to the nose and re-evaluate his strategy.

• Adam Morgan says:

As much as I like Sokoudjou, I have to put my money on Machida in this one.

• Sam Cupitt says:

Machidas beaten stand up fighters when he uses his elusiveness that puts so many people to sleep but against Nakamura he showed a desire to engage more and be more exciting, which got him hit a couple of times.

If he tries to engage more, Sokoudjou has a good chance to lay some leather on him and tarnish that undefeated record.

• Da Twin says:

Dizzle u dont know what your talkin about just b/c Machida isnt an exciting fighter and The African is doesnt give him an win, Machida is a smart technical figter and could pull out with the win