Random Rant: UFC forces Clay Guida to cancel ProElite.com chat

Disclaimer: Sam Caplan is the lead writer and editor of ProElite.com.

According to ProElite.com, the website was informed early this morning by the agent for UFC lightweight fighter Clay Guida that the UFC had decided not to allow Guida to participate in a previously scheduled chat that was to take place this afternoon on the ProElite.com forums.

ProElite.com is a sibling company to EliteXC but operates as a separate, independent company.

The UFC has a strict media policy, something that I’ve learned the hard way. When attempting to apply for media credentials for UFC 78, I was advised by a UFC official that my application would be denied due to my ProElite.com affiliation.

The UFC’s concern was that coverage of UFC 78 might appear on a site that they classify as a “competitor.” It’s one that I can understand to some extent, although there’s a big difference between ProElite.com and EliteXC.com.

Whether I think the rules are fair doesn’t matter.

CLICK HERE TO READ THE REMAINDER OF THIS ARTICLE ON SAM CAPLAN’S PROELITE.COM BLOG

• Kelvin says:

Sam, I understand your POV…Maybe the UFC’s POV is that having one of THEIR fighters on ProElite helps legitimize EliteXC.

• Sam Caplan says:

• […] Guida had to withdraw from the chat at the request of the UFC. For the skinny click here.            November 14th, […]

• Mike says:

I agree with Dana and Co. He has a contract with the UFC, which to my limited knowledge is exclusive, therefore shouldn’t participate on any competitor’s website. Proelite is affiliated with EliteXC. Its pretty cut and dry to me. I assume Dana would have no problem with Clay being on any other MMA website that isn’t affiliated with another promotion. In all reality Clay Guida is an entity of the UFC, they need to protect themselves.

• Brad says:

You’re an employee of the competition. If you cared that much about Clay Guida and the fans, you would have remained neutral and declined the offer from ProElite.

• Da Twin says:

The UFC doesnt want Pro Elite (which is partners with EliteXC) to benifit from what their fighters or events! I agree with the UFC, Clay just has to do an interview somewhere else

• Davey D says:

In Clay’s case it like they’re saying, “There nothing personal going on, it’s just business.” Which is smart business. If he has signed to Nike, then Nike wouldn’t be to happy if he spoke to Joe Skee Love from Reebok.com about the birds and the bees or whatever.

In your case Sam, it’s almost like you’re gulity by association. Which sucks because this site is awesome and is one of the few I check out daily. I guess if you can’t beat them, join them huh? Has long as or if you come to an agreement with them as to how your going to do certain layout in regards to “their” business and “you” stick to it then, everyone should be happy.

First and foremost; you are a fan yourself, no? Keep doing your thing. Cheers!

• pr0cs says:

I agree with the UFC on this one but I do wish they would be more “internet friendly”. Their standoffish attitude towards the internet and bloggers is pretty bad, esp those that are independent.

• Rln says:

“It’s very interesting that the UFC would take this approach with a fighter such as Guida, who would stand to gain from the publicity generated from the interaction with fans.”

Anybody that would have tuned into this web chat already knows who Clay Guida is. He’s not losing anything by not doing it and I seriously doubt that he would have picked up any significant amount of new fans from this.

“although there’s a big difference between ProElite.com and EliteXC.com.”

Come on dude. Who are you trying to kid?

• Kelvin says:

“If that’s their point of view, it’s a valid one. But what about Clay Guida? And what about the fans? Where do they fit in?”

Fans of the UFC know Guida…so from the UFC’s POV…if fans know Guida…and see Guida on proelite’s website…an affiliate with EliteXC…that legitimizes them…and could influence them to check out a show they promote in the future.

• Mike says:

We’re still talking about Clay Guida, i imagine as much if not more than we would have if he would have done the interview…

• Drewdoodoo says:

Sam, I think it is great that their refusal of your credentials for the event is actually leading to your coverage of the event on ProElite.

They need to stop ignoring the other organizations in the sport. They rarely mentioned Pride or WEC in their broadcasts before Zuffa picked them up. They talk about them all of the time now. It is probably part of why the HBO thing didn’t work out. Dana wasn’t going to be able to control the HBO commentators and keep them from mentioning the IFL, EliteXC, Bodog, ect. fighters.