Quinton “Rampage” Jackson speaks

In an exclusive interview with Quinton “Rampage” Jackson, Jesse Holland of MMA Mania gets the champ to talk about several issues that people have been wondering about. To top it off, the interview is hilarious, so I highly suggest you read the whole thing. Here are some highlights.

Rampage on his injured hand and his return:

“It feels good, I should be ready to start punchin’ in a few weeks. I’m gettin’ back to training and all that. As far as my return I don’t know what the hell’s goin’ on. You guys will probably find out before I do.”

Rampage on Dana White saying he has “big plans” for him:

“I love Mexicans. I love tacos, burritos…I don’t know man, I don’t know what the hell Dana’s talkin’ about.”

Could Rampage be alluding to a fight in Mexico here? I know that’s a market that has been talked about as one the UFC is slowly trying to break into. Roger Huerta is the poster boy for that movement, but headlining a card in Mexico with a big UFC light heavyweight title fight would be a solid event.

Rampage on rumors of him being a coach on the next season of TUF:

“I can’t announce none of that. I can’t announce the new Rampage energy drink that’s coming out, I can’t announce my new deal with Affliction, I can’t announce the Rampage rims for your ride. I can’t announce nothin’.”

By saying that he can’t announce it, does that mean it’s a done deal he just can’t say anything official about it?

Rampage on criticisms of the UFC not marketing him well enough:

“The UFC is very smart with their marketing. They just want to make sure I have the belt for a while. Marketing is expensive. Why they gonna spend all that money and then have me get knocked out by Dan Henderson like he did to Wanderlei. Then they gotta market Dan and then he gets knocked out. The UFC been around awhile that’s why they’re on top. I’m not trippin’ on them for marketing ’cause I can market my damn self.”

He does have a valid point. If Rampage defends once again, I’m sure we’ll see him all over the place. The UFC doesn’t want to invest a ton of money into him if he’s going to get pounded by someone like Wanderlei Silva, Mauricio Shogun, or even Forrest Griffin. While I think Rampage has the ability to beat all three of those guys right now, the UFC’s marketing strategy with Rampage is a smart one. Like he said, he can certainly market himself, he’s had no trouble doing that in the past.

It’s a funny read, so I highly recommend reading the rest.

• Eric says:

My first thought when reading the Mexican quote was that there would be an upcoming card in Mexico with Rampage as the headliner. Then I read your commentary after the quote. Good call. Would Dana wait until 79 to announce this? I don’t feel like waiting 4 more weeks.

• Jeremy says:

I understand the point on his marketing made in the aritcle, but it’s totally incorrect. Him having the title should be the icing on the cake for marketing him, his personality alone is enough to be heavily marketed right there imo. Yeah he might say something really stupid once in a while but all the other things he says will sell the fans on him.

• Rln says:

When does the next TUF season start filming? Kind of get the feeling that the coaches will be Rampage vs. Liddell – Wandy (US vs. Brazil would be a cool twist imho). Of course if it starts filming before their fight it’d be more logical to see Rampage vs. Griffin as the coaches.

• Sam Cupitt says:

That was feckin hilarious

• Johnny P. says:

It costs money to get the Publicist you already pay to get his name out there? It costs money to get him hooked up w/ print and TV interviews? The buget it to strained for plane tickets to NYC and LA? They can’t do remotes like they did on ESPN NEWS for him? I don’t even need him on a billboard just yet. Give me something!

I think him saying he can’t announce the TUF thing grouped w/ things that are happening pretty much is a wink and confirmation. There ya go. That’s good. That finally gets him on TV every week. Hopefully they can get better pub for him to promote the show, like if the writers strike ends he could maybe be on Kimmel or Conan. Something that gets him a foothold for humor and being a tough guy, so he gets brought back, like Tyson did w/ Kimmel.

• Evan says:

Unreal when people compare him to Chuck in terms of marketing. Chuck had many wins in a row for the UFC. Rampage does not! Why would go crazy promoting someone with so little under the UFC banner in the age of upsets we are in?

And does he have a fight around the corner I’m missing? How many fighters are promoted who have no fights to speak of?

• jjdnb says:

no they are just racist. I’m sure if Henderson wins, they’ll whore him out to every possilbe venue of marketing. Yeah have your fun UFC but you cant keep the black man down forever. FIGHT THE POWER!!

• Johnny P. says:

You don’t need a win streak to get your face out there. For my part, I’m not talking about this as a purist. I’m talking about this as a business. Most people in the mainstream who know Chuck still don’t know he lost 2 fights in a row. It’s not about wins and losses, it’s about making a name for yourself and promoting the sport. Chuck Liddell is the “UFC fighter”, not the “MMA fighter”, there’s a reason for that that goes beyond wins and losses. Liddell is a brand, like his employer, and all I’m saying is for the long term future of UFC, shouldn’t Rampage be a brand. I don’t care if he wins or loses his next fight. Your thinking to much like a sports guy. The Yankees make the most money in merchandising and licensing every year, and they haven’t won the Baseball World Championship since 2000.