Victorious Huerta Saw Stars in Fight with Guida

Though Roger Huerta pulled out the stunning third-round submission against opponent Clay Guida, Huerta admits that he was rocked a number of times in the bout:

“I was hurt. He rocked me, man” Huerta said. “I was slightly knocked out but I knew what was going on. I just heard this ringing, and it was the weirdest thing, all I saw was all this hair, I didn’t know if it was a human being or a lion attacking me, then after about 10 seconds I was like ‘Hey Clay’ and it was back on.”

According to Dave Doyle of Yahoo! Sports all judges gave Clay Guida the first two rounds of the bout, including one judge who had scored the fight 20-17 before Huerta’s rear-naked choke victory in the third round.

So Huerta seems to be pretty resilient, but he was definitely losing the fight before his explosion of energy in the third round. We’ll see if “El Matador” will be able to have the same luck when he faces more elite opponents in the future.

• cru jones says:

did anyone see the look of determination on Huerta’s face just prior to the start of R3? i had a feeling it was on. i also agree with the ref’s assessment (Huerta was down 2 rounds) but damn, it was a good fight. it’s unfortunate that Guida does not take the time to land a solid, high percentage shot, otherwise he could have finished it in the 2nd.

• Dizzle says:

Guida needs to cut his hair just plain and simple.

Most of the time he was combing his hair inbetween rounds.

• Dayzah says:

I agree with #1 , he looked pretty determined after the 2nd round. I thought he was really gonna bring it and try and end it in the 3rd and he did.

I dont agree that it was luck like the article indicated. He won the fight , plain and simple .. Rounds dont matter when the fight is ended. Right?

• jamey says:

quit talking smack he proved himself it dosent matter how you start its how you FINISH and Roger Huerta FINISHED !!!!!

• Wess says:

Huerta (in round 3) was not the same fighter that he was in the first two rounds. I’m not sure how he flipped that switch but he did and if he can find a way to do that in every fight …….

PS Does Huerta ever have a boring fight ??

• jaydog says:

Did anybody find the online charity that Huerta rattled off after he won? It was something like, Myfightsforkids.com (which didn’t load when I tried it).

I know that I’m in the minority on this, but I thought that for the first two rounds Huerta was lighting Guida up on the feet, while Guida controlled on the ground. Either way, Huerta turned it up when it counted. Watching all those knees land on Clay’s face reminded me of Sherk/Franca (same minimal effect on a thick-necked wrestler), only Huerta was actually able to follow up with a submission.

About the hair… I think Guida is like Sampson on this one. He draws power from the locks. And, the fans seem to dig the rocker look. I mean, think Metallica without a their headbanging hair-dos. It’s just not the same.

• Luke Thomas says:

20-18 is off. I think one judge had it 20-17, implying someone scored round 2 a 10-9 for Guida.

• Luke Thomas says:

“…implying someone scored round 2 a 10-9 for Guida.”

I mean 10-8.

• Zack says:

Jaydog. Watch the post-fight interviews in the cage. Guida’s face is pristine. Huerta’s is a purple mess. Huerta’s standup may have looked good, but it wasn’t doing much damage to Clay. Not until the knee, anyway.

• Evan says:

I remember Clay stating on The Beatdown that he loves his hair and will keep it until he thinks it has ever caused him to lose a fight.

• Evan says:

On and the next time we see him I imagine it will be in Mexico.

• jaydog says:

Zack. I agree about the damage. Huerta is one of my faves and it pisses me off that he plays patty-cake with the other guy’s face (a la Nick Diaz). He’s got such composure in the pocket. When is someone going to teach him to accelerate through the target? Anywho, Guida’s head is built like a butcher’s block. Maybe he’s just trying to hide that secret weapon with the hair.

• Kelvin says:

when Roger get’s pissed off in a fight…i dunno if anyone can stop him.

• Matt says:

In the article it says that one judge had it 20-17, not 20-18. Obviously, 20-18 isn’t a crazy score.

• Gary Herman says:

myfight4kids.com

• I thought the fight was going to be stopped towards the end of round two when Huerta got knocked down and Guida grounded and pounded him.

• Accomando says:

Guida is the man. Guida the gate-keeper

• Zack says:

I hope he’s not just a gatekeeper. He’s young enough to improve his standup and is tough as nails – I hope he eventually contends for the belt.

• Dizzle says:

they should have stopped the fight in the 2nd round when Huerta was seeing stars. That’s kinda dangerous when you think about it…he was knocked out for a little bit and they should have stopped the fight.

• Rich says:

I thought that Big John was going to stop the fight when Huerta took that big ass right to the head. I was very suprised that it went on because John is known like Herb Dean to stop fights pre-maturely. My hats off top Big John on reffing your last fight in the octagon and I am glad it was a hell of a fight. With this being said…..LET’S GET IT ON!!!

• knowbetter says:

Jared and war machine fucking rocked the octagon! Those 2 should be in the ufc for a long time. Roger had me furious in the first 2 rounds. Thank god he pulled a rabbit out of his ass in the 3rd round, otherwise I would have superman punched the shit out of my T.V.