Joe Stevenson doesn’t like the idea of Floyd Mayweather in MMA

Joe “Daddy” Stevenson, who will be fighting B.J. Penn at UFC 80, apparently hates the idea of Floyd Mayweather making the crossover to mixed martial arts.

From Yahoo! Sports:

“He represents himself in a different manner and it’s not the way I think is correct for our athletes,” Stevenson said. “You don’t brag about how much money you make. That’s totally disrespectful. I’ve seen him in clubs and I’ve seen the way he treats people and I can tell you, that’s not the kind of a guy we want representing this sport.”

Joe Stevenson isn’t pulling any punches. As a matter of fact, he sounds pretty confident that he would beat Floyd if given the opportunity:

“Boxing and MMA are different sports. He’s a great boxer. He’s the best. I was rooting for Ricky Hatton and I have to give Floyd credit for doing what he did. But he’d be in an entirely different sport. And yeah, his strikes would be intimidating, but I’d take him down. He’d have to be able to defend a takedown and that sounds a lot easier than it is.”

And finally, Stevenson represents his argument as to why MMA doesn’t need Floyd Mayweather:

“I don’t think we need that kind of attention,” Stevenson said. “We have a great sport and a lot of people are beginning to realize that, more every day. We don’t have to bring in the best boxers just to get people to pay attention to us, because they’re realizing what a great sport we have already.”

Exactly. Like Notorious B.I.G. once said: Mo’ money, mo’ problems. MMA doesn’t need Floyd Mayweather. In fact, he’s the last thing the sport needs. He brings exactly the kind of “me first” attitude that the sport has yet to be tainted by, save for the Randy Couture situation.

And what happens, if say, Floyd does happen to fight in a mixed martial arts bout? He’s going to command a huge payday. Guys who have been busting their asses for years to break into the elite levels of mixed martial arts are getting by on enough to feed their families while still maintaining a day job. Is it fair that a guy with little training and no experience should command a huge payday when he hasn’t paid his dues in the sport? No.

Mayweather has proven himself in the boxing ring, nothing more. He doesn’t deserve the platform that he’ll receive if he does end up crossing over. We’ve seen what the guy does when he’s on a platform. It’s “me first.” Mo’ money. Mo’ problems.

• RDukes says:

As long as Mayweather trains, I don’t have a problem with him entering MMA. In fact, I think if he trains (based on his reputation), I think he could be a decent MMA fighter.

I give two shits whether he’s an asshole who only cares about money (does anyone seriously think that pursuit of dollars won’t drive the sport forward?). And I, like Joe Stevenson, was pulling for Hatton

If he puts in the time to train, how is he any different than a celebrity like Brock Lesnar entering MMA? Both are highly decorated in a discipline that is required in MMA and both made a ton of money outside of MMA.

• drdanders says:

Does Mayweather “deserve” a huge payday if he fought an MMA bout? First of all, I’m not the one paying him so I don’t really care how much he gets. IMO if he generates a lot of money, he should be paid a lot of money. Do the best fighters always generate the most $? NO. Did the avg. MMA fan need TUF6 to generated interest in Hughes/Serra? NO. The Hughes/Serra bout got cancelled and still sold out the venue. If Mayweather were to fight DeLaHoya in an MMA fight, I think it would sell PPV without either guys having fought MMA before.

• mattio says:

He shouldn’t get a can. If he wants to fight MMA, put him in against Stevenson or Sherk. The idea that a top ranked boxer wants to try MMA is great, but only if he truly wants to test himself. If all he is trying to do is make money off a gimmick event and gets pitted up against some clown, that is so pathetic that I won’t bother paying attention.

• Atom says:

Would be one way to see Mayweather take a battering! :-)
    Which would clearly be the outcome even with a year or two of training, he’s 35 years old already.

• Evan says:

Its interesting to think about and discuss but this will never happen.

• Accomando says:

“…“me first” attitude that the sport has yet to be tainted by…”

Tito Ortiz????

• Evan says:

Accomando

True…but he can be ignored until he does something worthwhile in the modern MMA era.

• Amir says:

Pretty Boy won’t be so pretty if he enters a cage in an MMA fight. IMO, mixed martial artists are overall, the best fighters period!!!. In a street fight, which is where it really counts (whether it’s for defensive purposes or not), an MMA fighter will win 9/10 times as opposed to a boxer. Just because Floyd is the best “boxer” in the world, doesn’t mean he’s the best “fighter” in the world, but he’s sure welcome to try to prove it.

• Tommy says:

I’m gonna keep saying this until something f’ing happens. Mayweather needs to fight the real welterweight contenders before he does anything. What is he scared to lose some of his legacy by actually fighting poeple that could actually whoop him? Best boxer in the world? Best fight picker in the world maybe.

• Ross says:

Brock Lesnar- Kimbo Slice- Kurt Angle(possibly)-Rulon Gardner. I dont see the difference between Mayweather and these guys. None of them worked their way up the ranks and all are/were given big paydays. Do you have a problem with them, and if not why not?

• Dan says:

That was all well written and fine except for the line, “Is it fair that a guy with little training and no experience should command a huge payday when he hasn’t paid his dues in the sport? No.”

Of course that’s fair, look at a Brock Lesnar. You make as much money as the person paying you thinks you’re worth. He has name value, he’d put butts in the seats. If George Carlin joined the writing staff of some shit sitcom on ABC is it fair he’d make more than the other writers? Yes, of course, he’s George Carlin.

• bubbafat says:

Before I make any statements for or against, I’d like to know if “Pretty Boy” ever did wrestling in school at all. If he does have any experience or training on the ground. I’m not just going to assume that because he’s one of the greatest boxers in the world that he has no wrestling experience, as unlikely as it may be. But he’s no idiot. I don’t see him trying to make a serious transition into MMA unless he has some amateur high school wrestling experience. If not… well, he’s just too good a boxer. It’s like Michael Jordan, really good basketball player, but did we ever really expect him to make it into major league baseball. I think not.
    Fair or not, If Mayweather is offered 30 million for an MMA fight, you’ll see him make the transition. And for a cool 100 grand, I’ll take him down and break his fricken’ arm. Not so pretty now!

• Adam lightfield says:

He will get matched with guys on their way down at best in terms of competition in the beginning, and there won’t be anyway to justify him getting paid 30 million unless they get practically the entire PPV audience of his boxing fights and everybody that would buy an MMA card. What does that say for the negotiations of PPV MMA purchases in the future for other fighters in terms of their take? He’s ridiculouseither way, No respect for the game or the fighters so far.

• Zane says:

Bubbafat that Jordan reference was absurd. and Tommy, Floyd wont be fighting any wlertweights he is like 145-155 lbs…