Sean Sherk on B.J. Penn: “The guy is a pothead”

From a recent interview with Fight Hype where they ask Sean Sherk to respond to some of the things that B.J. Penn has had to say about him:

“Oh, nice! My response is I’ve done everything I could do to prove my innocence, including a polygraph examination. I’d like to strap him up to a polygraph and find out when was the last time he smoked reefer. The guy is a pothead and he wants to talk about natural title belts and that’s not true. He’s got secrets and he’s not fighting for a natural title belt so he could say what he wants to say, but I hooked myself up to a polygraph and I’d like to see him do the same.”

Oh snap! The war of words is really heating up between these two and they’re not even scheduled to fight one another right now. It’s a bit out of control that Sherk would accuse B.J. of being a pothead seeing as he’s never tested positive for marijuana. Sherk, on the other hand, did test positive. The criticism flung at Sherk is legitimate while calling B.J. Penn a “pothead” isn’t warranted.

The UFC has to be pulling for Penn in his fight against Stevenson because a fight between Sherk and Penn could mean big money for the UFC considering how much trash they’re already talking.

HT: MMA Mania

• HexRei says:

The criticism flung at Shirk is semi-legitimate, in that he tested positive, but had his sentence reduced. While I believe the reasons for the reduction were never stated, it probably has to do with the flaws Shirk’s legal team presented in the testing system (inadequate or non-existent cleansing of equipment between test batches, for example) and the unprofessionalism of the sanctioning committee in delaying his case due to a simple failure to examine all the evidence prior to the appeal date.

Articles like this one Steroids Found in Health Supplements have muddied the issue further, given the huge amount of legal supplements Sherk has admitted taking on camera and in interviews. Whether he was truly guilty of illicit use is still quite questionable. However, I bet BJ has smoked pot at least once…. he’s a Hilo Boy.

• Curt says:

Why doesn’t sherk attack xyience for making tainted supplements. He tested positive, BJ didn’t.

• HexRei says:

I’d like to further clarify that I think it was pretty dumb of Sherk (I realize I spelled his name wrong over and over in the previous post… sorry) even to bring it up. It’s irrelevant not only in the legal sense that BJ has still never tested positive and Sherk has, as well as in the rational sense that being a pothead, while banned, doesn’t help your game at all and is clearly not unethical in exact same sense that steroid use is.
    In fact, upon further cognition it begins to sound almost like a “ok well I might have done something bad but so did that other guy….” which doesn’t exactly promote Sherk’s credibility.

• Tommy says:

All you hear is this guy cry. You don’t hear Serra crying that Hughes and GSP will fight for the interim title. Why? Cause he hasn’t done anything wrong. I think Sherk is roid raging. Good job with his plausible denabilty though. Doesn’t matter really, they’ll fight and he’ll get smoked by a pot head.

• Tommy says:

Oh and Sherk did test positive for roids. Has BJ tested positive for weed? HMMM

• garth says:

BJ’s never tested positive for anything other than suspicious rib injuries when a guy may be gassing out. Sherk should shut his whaaaa-hole and wait for another shot at a boring lay-and-pray decision title shot.

• hbdale309 says:

I’m pretty sure there’s an old youtube video where BJ is riding around w/ his friends in Hawaii totally high… obviously high. I guess that’s where Sherk is getting this. LMNAO

• karat3 says:

Pot is natural, roids are not.

• dizzle says:

exactly Karat.

When they start growing steroids out of the earth…thats when i’ll start taking them.

• Beau says:

Sherk is an idiot. Look at this quote from his interview with fox sports.

“I didn’t even know what contamination was before. Now I’m doing all this research. I take twenty two different supplements. With 25 percent of those supplements having the risk of being contaminated that increases my chances of having contamination pretty well. I can’t stop taking supplements, I need the stuff and its legal so what am I going to do?”

So he knows 25% of his supplements may be tainted but he wont stop taking them cause he “needs” them. Maybe he “needs” the steroids in them. If you know your supplements may be tainted with steroids and you take them anyways then you are knowingly ingesting steroids. This guy is an idiot. The fact he wont stop taking them or at least cut down so he doesn’t test positive again shows that he’s just setting up his next excuse for when he once again fails a steroid test.

• HexRei says:

karat: most farms use chemical fertilizers these days, and the curing process certainly isn’t natural…

Beau: isn’t if the FDA’s job to ensure that supplements sold in the US are steroid free? Should Sherk really have to worry about taking legal supplements? At the very least, the santioning committees need to take into account the fact that apparently even someone using only FDA-approved “steroid-free” supplements can have a sample show positive for steroids. It certainly belies the assumption that anyone with a positive sample must have knowling taken banned substances, which is what everyone believed prior to this year.

• Tommy says:

No Hex it is not. Beau is correct. See even legal products are banned from use for fighters. Sherk knows that and still wants to use his drugs. Why the hell would someone take over 20 different enhancement products anyway? Yeah he’s natural.

• HexRei says:

Ah, ok. I thought that ensuring that supplements were labelled correctly and such was part of the FDA’s job. My bad, I guess fighters should just not take any supplements just in case then.

• HexRei says:

And Tommy, yes some legal substances are banned, but they are clearly defined in the sanctioning body’s rules (at least in Nevada and California, not sure about elsewhere). The FDA is supposed to ensure that when you take an over the counter supplement, it contains what the label says. If illegal steroids are popping up in OTC supplements then the FDA has failed.

• dizzle says:

Why are they so uptight about Weed?

If anything Weed would make you lose a fight…not win.

• hskrs says:

I’m pretty sure the FDA doesn ‘t monitor supplements. Most supplements fall under an area of manufacture’s responsibility. What’s in them, and what’s said on the labels (claims/ingredients) are not “approved” in any way by the FDA. If there is a question in a legal suit, as in Shrek’s case, the FDA can get involved.

I think Sherk is as big and his record so dominant, because he’s probably been juicing for years. I remember one of the first times I saw him fight, I was amazed how huge he was. And about the “contamination”, that’s crazy. If it might have poison in it, would he still take it because he needs it? Years of juicing, I bet. If a really fat guy always says he doesn’t eat junk food, and one day you catch him in the kitchen stuffing his face with chips, you won’t believe that he hasn’t and doesn’t eat all the time like that. That’s how it is with Sherk, except it a huge muscular guy and steroids.