UFC 79 Video: Chuck Liddell “pretty sure” he can knock out Wanderlei Silva

In this ESPN.com video, Chuck Liddell talks about this Saturday’s fight vs. Wanderlei Silva. According to Liddell, he’ll have a bit of a reach advantage on Silva. It also sounds like he believes Silva’s aggressive nature is suited well to his own style.

• bigfish042 says:

From what I hear everyone is reporting that Silva is training like his life literally depended on this…….

I think that unless Liddell cathes him early, like in the first round, Silva is gonna put a beating on Liddel for a couple or 3 rounds until eventually the fight is stopped or Chuck gets KO’d.

I really think taht Silva is gonna make it look easy, then Liddell retires….Unless he plans on winning till he is 40 or 41 for next shot at belt

• Dizzle says:

I think Liddell is going to submit his to be honest.

• HochDog says:

Submit?!?! Unless Wanderlei taps due to stricks, which I don’t see him tapping for that. I pick Liddell TKO in the 1st. But if it goes to the 3rd, then I pick Wanderlei.

• dizzle says:

Yea HochDog…

What does every MMA fan think Liddell is going to do? KNOCK SOMEONE OUT!

I think that Liddell is going to go in the ring with the determination to do what nobody would expect him to do…and that is submit Silva.

Just like what Pulver did to swanson.

Think about it.

• Evan says:

I think both fighters come out very timid in the first round and it doesn’t heat up until round 2 then Silva TKO’s Chuck in 3.

• mike wolfe says:

I wonder if Chuck has reconsidered his strategy in light of the fight with Jardine. Countering and waiting to land the big bomb cost him the fight. I’ll bet that Silva isn’t as aggressive as he’s been in the past and tries the same strategy that worked for Jardine–leg kick, leg kick, leg kick.

• HexRei says:

hey, chuck has submissions, he was just too comfortable with brawling to use them. early in his career he was much more active on the ground. however, i dont see him using them against silva, a BJJ black belt (IIRC chuck is only a purple?) and he does have a reach advantage (i dunno what this “according to chuck” stuff is, isn’t reach documented?) and i think his counterpunch-KO style will work well against silva. I’ve got chuck by KO in the 3rd.

• Jim Allcorn says:

I thoroughly believe that Chuck has thought a LOT about his strategy in light of his loss to Jardine. And, I think he’s convinced himself that he’s going to go in there with a different mindset against Silva. BUT, I think that once he steps into the cage & the buzzer goes off with Wanderlei standing across from him, it’s going to be a different story.
    The Liddell that we saw against Jardine was a gunshy fighter & I fully expect that same guy to show up vs Silva, irregardless of the fact that he’s been saying all the right things leading up to Saturday night. It has nothing to do with fear. Being gunshy is a far more deeply engrained, primal thing than “fearing” an opponent. I don’t believe that Chuck afraid of Wanderlei, I think it’ll have more to do with an instinctual sense of self preservation.
    Why do I think Liddell will suffer from this malady more so than Silva, who’s also coming off of two tough losses?
    I see Silva as having been much more proactive in what he’s done since the Hendo loss than what Chuck’s done. In the moves he made, the training he’s chosen to do, the new associates he’s elected to “hang with” & even the things he’s said leading up to this contest. I just see more conviction from him as opposed to Chuck’s just sort of “come what may” attitude & approach.
    I could very well be proven wrong with an aggressive, all out attack from “The Ice Man” that results in a Vitor Belfort-type of execution of “The Axe Murderer”. It’s possible. But, if I had money to place a bet with ( which I don’t at the moment, being the “broke ass” that I am ) I’d put it on Silva to win via a brutal second round KO.
    I keep seeing Chuck’s wary, hurtful reaction to all those Jardine leg kicks & body kicks, which I don’t think were even half the sort of pain that Silva will bring with similar blows in four days time.

• Evan says:

I think its better for MMA and naturally the UFC as well for Chuck to lose so we can officially move past the Chuck era.

• Evan says:

And I am a Chuck fan BTW but its time.

• HexRei says:

I don’t believe there is a such thing as the “Chuck era” and I don’t see why he needs to lose this fight to move past anything. One might have said the same thing about Randy back when Chuck beat him twice in a row. Time to move past the Couture era people!

• Adam lightfield says:

Chucks toast. 1st round KO. Knee or fist, take your pick.

• Evan says:

HexRei

Really? You forget for that time he was the face of everything MMA? You know…like when he was passed out during that interview in Dallas………….

• FightMutt says:

my money is on silva. he is ready for this, chuck is acting too mellow about the whole thing and i think his interviews project that is not with the program. (his attitude and body language).

• Mr. Takedown says:

Style-wise, this matchup favors Chuck. Wandy is going to pursue Chuck, who loves to counter with wild bombs. And Wandy has shown he can get caught.

In my humble opinion, it would be better for the UFC and MMA in general for Chuck to win, simply b/c has already has the eye of mainstream sports media, aka ESPN. A Liddell win *should* put him back into the headlines. There was a ton of momentum and coverage for the UFC back in late May for the Rampage/Liddell fight, and potentially some of that can be regained if Chuck wins in highlight reel fashion.

Dont get me wrong, I’d like to see Silva whoop on Chuck, I also would like to see UFC fighters get the headlines the deserve. Chuck has been given those headlines once before and a big KO would get them once more.

• barry buddy says:

I disagree with the idea of chuck winning good for MMA. Chuck is getting bashed like no tommorow in mainstream media like Espn. Even if he wins this fight which i think he won’t, whats next? I don’t think his style will get him much further. If he fought rampage again he gets smashed and I don’t think he’ll be able hang with the young guns such as Machida, Sok, Forrest, Jardine, Shogun etc. I think with wanderlei winning he can have an epic 3rd battle with rampage and his style is matches better with rampage than chuck.