Matt Hughes has issues with Tim Sylvia

Not convinced yet that Matt Hughes is an asshole? Well, look no further than the following conversation between he and Tim Sylvia in an excerpt from his new book courtesy of The Sun:

“Tim Sylvia walked over to me during practice. His back was hunched a bit, like Pat’s is, but Pat I could look in the face.

‘Can I talk to you a second?’ he asked.

“Sure thing.” He led me into an office and we sat down on two chairs.

“No one here’s got a problem with me except you,” he began.

“When I first started, Jens would say I’m a fat piece of s*** who’s never going to amount to anything, and he’d get me crying, but now even Jens likes me. Is there a problem?”

He was waiting for me to tell him there was a big misunderstanding or to apologise, like I wasn’t aware of what I was doing.

“Yeah, I really don’t like you,” I told him.

“Is there a reason why?”

“I don’t think you’re a team player and I don’t think you work very hard,” I said.

“How am I not a team player?”

“Remember that whole thing with that girl?” I reminded him.

He waved those ridiculously long arms of his in the air. “They weren’t even going out!”

“Yeah, but you knew that your teammate had a thing for her and you went for it anyway. But I don’t even care about that. I’m talking more about training.

“When somebody’s got a fight coming up, everybody tries to make sure the guy’s got some training partners to get ready.

“Everybody tries but you. Your first priority is always Tim, and I don’t think that’s a good attitude.”

I wasn’t angry or even annoyed. I had as much emotion as if I were talking about the contents of a fridge.

“I don’t think you work very hard either. You’re a little sore and you don’t come in.

“Jens, who’s a champion, has been sore and he comes in. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve been sore.

“No one’s ever going to be 100 percent. You just suck it up and you do it, period.”

I didn’t care one way or another what he said in response – I assumed he’d get defensive or angry.

But he didn’t; he was reasonable.

“I’m actually hurt to hear you say that. I’ve been a huge fan of yours for a long time and I’ve been trying to model myself on some of your work ethics, and the way Jens works out and stuff like that, and it’s too bad you feel like this.

“There’s nothing more that I want than to be accepted by you and the rest of the guys.”

“You don’t become accepted by buying yourself a ticket to Vegas, following us around while we’re there when no one really invited you, and then crying – again – when Jens calls you out on it.”

“Is there anything I can do to be friends with you?”

“Well, right now I have enough friends and I don’t need any more friends,” I said. “Is that it? Are we done here?”

He let out a deep breath. “Yeah, I guess.”

“Good.” I got up and left.

Case closed.

• garth says:

i think he needs to be more self-righteous and smug. does this guy actually call himself a christian? he somehow missed out on the humility aspect of everything.

and this is from his own book? damn. he’s self-obsessed AND delusional.

• Hard Ass says:

Matt Hughes is a total bad ass and you just hate him because you like licking GSP’s nuts. By the way, Fedor is number #4 on your poll???? Because of inactivity?? He beat Lindland in less then 2 1/2 minutes and just won the Sambo world championship……yeah, down year. LOL! 44 year old Randy “9 loss” Couture is #1??? If he and Fedor fought the fight would last less then 30 seconds!

• Rich says:

i don’t like tim either.
    i saw the same problems randy couture saw in him.
    he doesn’t do all that he can to finish or win a fight.
    i don’t know what he’s like outta the cage.
    but i’ve seen enough of him IN the cage to cheer against him every time he fights.
    he’s sloppy, and practically techniqueless, and i’m not even sure how that’s possible for someone who trains in the miletich camp.
    the only smart thing i’ve ever seen in any of his gameplans is that he often takes advantage of his reach. . .
    except in the fight against RANDY. . .

• Pierre says:

It is really sad to hear this…even in his own book he proves how low of a moral character he holds… I always felt this and further proof of it is presented here. As a Catholic and fellow Christian it is depressing that this person professes his supposed faith yet does not follow its own teachings.

• Paul says:

The lesson here is EVERYONE is an asshole. Just some people (like matt hughes) stand out more because of what he believes.

• Greg Urban says:

jeesus, Matt Hughes is a a-hole…I hope GSP knocks his head off and then Matty comes back and does the same after that. Then he retires a loser.

• jaydog says:

Wow, at first I was impressed with Hughes being so forthright, but then he drops that bomb at the end and indicts himself. So, which is it? Did Matt dislike Tim because “Well, right now I have enough friends and I don’t need any more friends,” or because Tim was self-centered? Why would Hughes feature a story of his own cruelty in his book? Anyhow, I don’t think I’m crazy about either one of’em, to tell you the truth. But I do have to say that the holy Hughes christianity thing rings pretty hollow, especially when he’s quibbling over screwing groupies.

• Sam Cupitt says:

“Tim Sylvia just wants to be loved” – Mike Goldberg, UFC 77

• efknutrition says:

I guess its better than pretending to like him.

• Huckaby says:

Don’t we all.

And I still remember that story from months ago about several fans at an event saying Hughes was saying no to little kids wanting autographs and pictures and kept giving them to strippers sitting on his lap.

Pure class that one.

• Mike says:

I think the point of it being in the book is that the Matt Hughes followers will read it and quip about how Matt is an honest guy and Tim was nothing more than a cry baby with no work ethic. HOWEVER, it completely backfires to a realist. To be honest, I don’t hate the guy nor do I really like him. I always respected him as a fighter but his attitude is nothing to smile over. Like I did the last time he and GSP went at it, I’ll be laughing in my friends face if/when GSP knocks him out. It’ll be glorious!

• Da Pit says:

nobody likes Tim not even his own team mates lol! But something tells me that it didnt go down exactly like he said a 265+ pounder getting bitch up by a guy less than 200lbs (not sayin it cant happen) but damn if it did go down like that then Tim needs to grow some balls and dont give a shit what someone else thinks of you i know its his team mate and all but you dont let anyone talk to u like that evening if its Matt Hughes and u look up to him

• Wang Chung says:

what a dick.

• mattio says:

It took this report to change my mind, but I now want GSP to win. Ha ha. Hughes really is a bad person.

Nothing wrong with choosing who you want to be friends with, but to write about it years later for the general public to find out just seems creepy.

• gerald raines says:

seriously man does Hughes think he can just thump the bible on TV or in real life or both and that does not make him a bad person no matter what he does or what he says or how he acts. he is a dick and straight-up unpleasant person

• Sam Cupitt says:

Maybe he wants to alienate everybody so that when he finally retires no one will want to talk to him and he can just go back to being a farmboy.

• mofsteel says:

I use to like and respect matt hughes, but after seeing him on TUF6 and reading all about his attitude he has now became my least favorite ufc fighter and I hope GSP beats him via TKO first round.

• Evan says:

Who is the bigger asshole….

The guy that tells you he doesn’t like you to your face or the guy who says it behind your back?

• Sam Cupitt says:

You need a third option Evan.

The guy that tells you he doesn’t like you to your face and then puts it in a book and sells it.

• Evan says:

Who cares how he expresses it…if it is how he feels then so be it. We always want athletes to tell us how they really feel and here he is doing it and the guy is getting roasted all over the place. Would everyone prefer if they spoke in generic terms like MLB and NFL athletes?

Hell I don’t like Tim either. The guy complains of back issues right after he loses to Randy. Thats a true loser mentality, sounds to me that Matt is correct.

• dizzle says:

Put it to him Hughes.

I’m starting to like Hughes more and more every day after reading things like this.

Personally I don’t like Sylvia either…I think he’s arrogant fighter.

• Hercules Samson says:

Matt Hughes is a shining example of how you should ‘love thy neighbor’.
    Show them no compassion and then showcase their weakest moments to escalate your book sales. I want my kids to be like Matt so when I’m old and can’t take care of myself, they ditch me at some highway rest stop because I’m inconvient.

• Al says:

Dude, you don’t like Tim Sylvia because you think he’s arrogant and you’re giving Hughes respect? That’s just plain stupid.

• bubbafat says:

All I know is Matt Hughes is the kind of character to say Matt Serra’s got short man syndrome??? Isn’t that a little like the pot callin’ the kettle black?The man’s dilusional, he’s been gettin’ his way for so long he has no sense of reality. Tim Sylvia may not be the best team player, well, Matt Hughes just proved he’s a better team player, right??? Wrong. If Hughes was such a good team player he should’ve given the guy that was asking him for advice some teammate support, instead he knocks him down a peg’or’two. I for one think Big Tim probably needed it, but Hughes coulda been a little more humble about it.
    “Judge not lest ye be judged yourself, and let he without sin cast the first stone” Try livin’ by that ya prick!

• Melissa says:

Matt took an opportunity to reinforce the “team” here and instead forced a member of the team to feel even more outside than before. Regardless of his personal dislike of Tim, he let his team down and showed that he is not a team player.

• Drewdoodoo says:

I wonder if the book is filled with stuff like this, or if he just picked this one conversation with a guy that most folks don’t like anyway. If he had a run in like that with someone everybody loves, would he have documented it? How about the way he treated GSP on TUF? Wonder if he documented that. I bet there is a whole chapter about how he kicks dogs and beats kittens but he makes it sound honorable and moral.

• Redravi7 says:

One thing to note in the article from the Sun is that the conversation is from early in Matt and Tim’s relationship. It seems like they have become friends since then.

For all we know, the next paragraph in the book could be about how Matt regretted being too hard on Tim and resolved to become friends with him.

Yeah…that is unlikely, but you never know.

• Wang Chung says:

the guy is a fucking douchebag, period. i don’t know why this keeps getting perpetually debated on forums like sherdog, etc…it’s plain as day the guy is 1-extremely smug, 2-arrogant, and worst of all 3-believes he’s a good dude because he reads the bible and hangs with other jesus-lovers.

some people can’t fathom that you can separate his career and his personality. his career has been stellar. his personality is about as exciting as a wet bag of pubic hair.

• Wang Chung says:

…and don’t ask me who’s pubey’s are in that bag..unless you want a really bad ass mental image..

• dizzle says:

hmm I have to disagree Wang.

I’m not sure how you were raised as a child…but I was raised to be a respectful and that’s the feeling I get from Hughes….he’s all about respect.

Tim Slyvia isn’t a very respectful fighter..and I can see why he is easily not a likeable guy in the UFC.

• Evan says:

I was going to guess Giant Silva….

• Wang Chung says:

dizzle my dude, there’s respect, and then there’s wet douchebaggery. learn the difference.

• GirlyGirl says:

Oh come on, is the guy supposed to like everybody? At least he was being honest! Tim IS a lazy POS. Should Hughes have lied and pretended to like him? F**K that!

If he’s smug it’s because he EARNED it. When did Sylvia earn anything?

I give total credit to Hughes on this.

• makeutapout says:

I can understand why Matt wouldn’t like Tim. Most of us don’t for some reason or another, but there’s an honest way of saying “I just don’t like your personality and work ethic. Sorry, but I just can’t be friends with someone like you.” and being a total bitch “You’re a big crybaby and you’re not good enough to be my friend. P.S. Jesus loves me.” Fuck him. I liked Matt before I got to get to know him a little (as well as you can from TV at least) He IS an awesome fighter and for that he still retains some level of respect from me, but as a person I think he’s shit. Being a good Christian doesn’t stop at the church doors. It’s a lifestyle and an attitude of humility and treating even people you don’t like in a descent manner. I’m not a Christian but even I fit in better with them than he does. If he’s gonna keep beating that bible in front of us, he’d better learn a few damn things from it first.

• GirlyGirl says:

makeutapout? Funny, I didn’t see any bible-thumping in that excerpt… sounds like he was just being a normal person to me – Christian or not. It takes balls to be that honest and not be a fucking poser and pretend like someone just because everyone else does. Sylvia needed a dose of reality.

• mike wolfe says:

Just for fun, re-read some of these posts. Whenever somebody says something insulting about Hughes while commenting on his religious beliefs, re-write it in your head as if it were a statement about his race or ethnicity. For example, “Hughes is a douchebag and hangs out with other {Black/Jewish/ Native American/Latino} douchebags.” That’s very offensive to most people, so why is it alright to be offensive about his beliefs?

• Evan says:

Mike

You ask far too much to expect people to recognize their hypocrisy.

• mike wolfe says:

Evan–

Maybe so. On the other hand, we haven’t heard back from the posters who fit the description, so maybe they’re feeling a little sheepish. lol.

• Poor Writing says:

Hey Moron,

Maybe you shouldn’t post like an immature 16-year-old. Calling a fighter an asshole is completely unprofessional.

• Northern Power says:

Well, why should Matt have to love everyone? I think it’s pretty gutsy to be honest about it. Tim IS a cry baby and he’s even too lazy to fulfill his potential. Ok, I admit that Matt comes out a bit arrogant in this segment (written by himself?!) and maybe it is a bit childish to say that he has enough friends. He could’ve depicted it better, as it is written now he does actually make himself look as the bad guy.

• new start says:

well every one has there quirks, hughes has his and the thing about his quirks, people like you and i possible pay to see and read them. he is makeing some good money.